Differences on Mariner and Explorer

fmark

I have been looking at deck plans for the Mariner and the Explorer. I know that the Explorer does not have Chops Grille, but the deck plan just shows an empty space where the Chops Grille would be. What is in that space if anything? It seems like a waste of space if there isn't anything else in the spot where Chops would be.

Also, the Explorer has an Island Grill at the end of the Windjammer and the Mariner has nothing. Is the Island Grill a separate restaurant or just a separate seating area for the Windjammer? If it is, what is in its place on the Mariner?

Lastly, since we are considering cruising on either ship, are there any other differences between the two ships? I understand the Mariner is a few years newer and maybe a bit nicer but are there any other physical differences besides the two mentioned above?

Newer Voyager class ships have Chops Grill as well as Jade Restaurants on board. These restaurants occupy the space of the Windjammer Buffett. Explorer of the Seas simply has a larger Windjammer Buffett area, because the Chops Grill and Jade restaurants are not on board. The Island Grill is also a buffett, and provides different interior design then the Windjammer, but serves the same buffett style food. Probably the biggest difference is that the Island Grill has a bar to serve alcoholic drinks, where the Windjammer does not, and the Island Grill has nice views from the rear of the ship.

Probably the biggest difference between Explorer and Mariner is the balcony areas. Mariner has glass balcony railings (see thru) where Explorer as well as Voyager has all steel enclosures. This design was changed later as new Voyager Class ships were built.

no, only difference between the 2 are artwork, chops grill, and the outside balconies look nicer. They used windjammer space on the newer 2 ships for Chops steakhouse, where thatempty space is on explorer is windjammer space. Island Grill is part of Windjammer.

Another big difference (if you have children), is there is no slide on the Mariner and Navigator. They use the space to make a bigger Teen area.

My kids absolutely loved the slide and were there all the time.

Sharonna

Are you talking about the Plaza Sushi bar?

Maybe :confused: , sounds about right though.

That is right at the enterance. But does the Windjammer Cafe actually have a bar in it like the Island Grill?

I don't know what the Island Grill is and I've never been on the Explorer (although I'd like to try it sometime, but its SO expensive from NJ because it is a 9 night cruise) but I would have to say no. There was the buffet and tables (with mini drink stations set up around the buffet). I couldn't imagine an establishment inside of the buffet! We had quite a time finding seats as it was, I would imagine it would take up some space better utilized for seats or food. Although I think someone said the buffet was bigger on the Explorer. Does the Explorer have 2 bars at the buffet? The Island Grill and then the Plaza Bar in the entrance? Or does it just have that Island Grill?

I guess this gives me a "reason" to book a cruise on the Explorer ;) , gotta research this problem a little further. :D

Archived