A non-cruise travel insurance question pertaining to CFAR

6 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Why exactly do you want the CFAR?

In case we decide to not go on our fly/drive trip. Just seems the safest way to protect the airline cost. I don't want an airline voucher or credit. So the big question is - will the airline automatically apply this whether I want it or not?  

You don't have a choice about accepting the credit - the airline will issue you one if their Contract of Carriage states so.

This is what I'm afraid of. So what happens then with the Crum & Forster policy? The guy told me that if it's a listed coverage they'd pay it under CFAR. I never asked him about what happens in the event that the airline reimburses me in some manner. Worth asking him again on that one point? 

I'm not a big fan of insuring the airfare when there are no change fees and someone would re-use the air on a different trip if they cancelled.

Except that I'm near certain I wouldn't use it. If I book it now, I'd have to fly before next July. Not going to happen. Our '22 trips in spring are both non-flying. Gosh...this is a mess. Almost feel like just canceling the whole trip and just driving somewhere close by and relax. 

I'm beginning to think the airlines automatically issue the voucher as was already mentioned here, so it boils down to how the insurer treats that situation. All I can go by is what the guy at C&F told me. Perhaps a different agent might have a different answer. At insuremytrip the guy told me that C&F is one company that will not make you take the airline voucher instead of paying a claim under CFAR. So I'm not sure there is much more to explore on this topic. Short of hanging on the phone for hours waiting for a Delta rep to talk to about it, I think it's a matter of book it all and go from there. In this continued covid environment, there are no guarantees on any sort of travel the way it seems.