Testing positive in Greece - what happens?

classy_cruiser

I’m cruising on the NCL Jade in Greece in early September. Getting kind of nervous about testing positive on the trip now that fully vaccinated people are testing positive for the delta variant left and right where I live. 

With several lines cruising Greece this summer, there will surely be some folks testing positive. I’d like to know more about how that is being handled in Greece. Is a hotel quarantine required until you test negative and for how long?Or do they charter a flight? I’ve seen reports of people testing positive in the Caribbean and getting immediately chartered back, but that would be far more expensive from Europe. 

Please post any links to trip reports or discussions in the other forums on this topic. I’m following the NCL forum but haven’t seen anything yet. 

46 minutes ago, classy_cruiser said:

I’m cruising on the NCL Jade in Greece in early September. Getting kind of nervous about testing positive on the trip now that fully vaccinated people are testing positive for the delta variant left and right where I live....

On Monday, the CDC and State Department put Greece on a “Avoid Travel” / “Do Not Travel” list. https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/covid-4/coronavirus-greece

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/greece-travel-advisory.html

I am unsure of NCL’s policies, but know that some travel insurance companies will not cover if a place is on that list at the time of travel, so be sure to double check that, as well. I would definitely call NCL directly and ask about their policies in this regard. Hopefully others who are planning to sail to Greece soon will chime in with their information, as well.

Good luck and safe travels!

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1

Look on the NCL web site ....  under EXPLORE, select SAIL SAFE and read the FAQ's:

Norwegian Cruise Line | Sail Safe | Health & Safety Protocols (ncl.com)

I'm almost glad my Sept cruise was cancelled ... it was nerve wracking to be constantly checking the requirements of each country we would touch, plus NCL requirements, plus  airline requirements.  Takes the fun out of a vacation.

• Like 2

I've been pondering this as well as we sail Jade Sept 12th and I'm interested in the same info. However with my recent look into the actual percentages it makes me feel much better that it is highly improbable.

Based on the average across all states reporting their breakthrough infections in full vaccinated people,  you have a 0.112% chance of testing positive for COVID-19 if fully vaccinated. Based on the Jade's 2400 person capacity thats 2-3 people if sailing at full capacity.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

Look on the NCL web site ....  under EXPLORE, select SAIL SAFE and read the FAQ's:

Norwegian Cruise Line | Sail Safe | Health & Safety Protocols (ncl.com)

I'm almost glad my Sept cruise was cancelled ... it was nerve wracking to be constantly checking the requirements of each country we would touch, plus NCL requirements, plus  airline requirements.  Takes the fun out of a vacation.

I don’t see any answers to my specific questions on that NCL page. I’m not going to call because the call center people won’t know either. I did read somewhere they have deals with each island for quarantine hotels. 

I also found this article, not a super reliable news source but troubling nonetheless https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9859611/amp/Man-tells-family-break-Greece-holiday-hell-forced-quarantine.html

I personally know multiple fully vaccinated people who tested positive recently, so I don’t think the .112% chance is accurate for delta variant 

4 minutes ago, classy_cruiser said:

...I personally know multiple fully vaccinated people who tested positive recently, so I don’t think the .112% chance is accurate for delta variant 

Perhaps the CDC will update guidance soon for reporting “breakthroughs,” as we don’t have the full picture of vaccinated asymptomatic positives vs. the severe illness that are currently only counted as breakthroughs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, classy_cruiser said:

I don’t see any answers to my specific questions on that NCL page. I’m not going to call because the call center people won’t know either. I did read somewhere they have deals with each island for quarantine hotels. 

I also found this article, not a super reliable news source but troubling nonetheless https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9859611/amp/Man-tells-family-break-Greece-holiday-hell-forced-quarantine.html

I personally know multiple fully vaccinated people who tested positive recently, so I don’t think the .112% chance is accurate for delta variant 

WOW. That article sounds horrible. Again at this point my nerves have been calmed based on the statistics. I would agree it's probably a good idea to call NCL and find out their procedures if you are still concerned. The closest I could find on the FAQs was testing positive while onboard, before boarding sounds like they will refund your cruise but no info on flights. If you are taking their airline credit it's started your vacation with them then maybe the FAQ answer: "Guests who test positive for COVID-19 during their cruise and are required to quarantine will receive a pro-rated cash refund or a pro-rated Future Cruise Credit. If a guest followed all of the cruise line’s health and safety protocols, the cruise line will coordinate and cover the cost of necessary onboard COVID-19 related medical treatment, required land-based quarantine and travel arrangements to get the guest safely back to their home."

4 minutes ago, syesmar said:

Perhaps the CDC will update guidance soon for reporting “breakthroughs,” as we don’t have the full picture of vaccinated asymptomatic positives vs. the severe illness that are currently only counted as breakthroughs.

Here are where I'm gathering my statistics.

https://www.kff.org/policy-watch/covid-19-vaccine-breakthrough-cases-data-from-the-states/

54 minutes ago, classy_cruiser said:

Did you read this FAQ ?

If I test positive for COVID-19 during a cruise and have to quarantine, will I receive a full refund?

Guests who test positive for COVID-19 during their cruise and are required to quarantine will receive a pro-rated cash refund or a pro-rated Future Cruise Credit. If a guest followed all of the cruise line’s health and safety protocols, the cruise line will coordinate and cover the cost of necessary onboard COVID-19 related medical treatment, required land-based quarantine and travel arrangements to get the guest safely back to their home.

All refund requests must be made within six months of the date they canceled their voyage or the scheduled embarkation date, whichever is earlier, or they will be entitled to a Future Cruise Credit for the amount specified. To apply for a refund guests should visit https://www.ncl.com/case-submission.

43 minutes ago, 2FLGuys said:

Thanks for the link! I checked out the info on that page and it doesn't seem to include most of the states that are having huge delta outbreaks like Texas and Florida. Also many of the vaccinated people testing positive here are just getting the rapid kits from the grocery store and they aren't seriously sick, so they aren't seeking medical care and aren't getting counted in the official numbers. 2--3 weeks ago I had zero concerns about traveling and thought it was unlikely that we could test positive but the facts are very different now on the ground in my location. 

Yes I did read the FAQ and I already knew the cruise lines have committed to covering all the costs if you test positive. My point in posting this is that I'm trying to figure out what exactly happens after a positive test in terms of quarantine length and location. On the Caribbean cruises it seems like people are getting home pretty quick even after testing positive. Greece seems to be another story and if there are any firsthand accounts I would be interested to read them and I was hoping maybe folks could share links in other forums if any reports come up. Having to extend an overseas trip unexpectedly by 1-2 weeks for those who have to work and/or have animals at home would be stressful to say the least. 

I agree with syesmar, the ideal solution would be for everyone to stop treating breakthrough covid cases with the same aggression as unvaccinated cases, but that doesn't seem likely now that they think vaccinated people are also spreading.

I found this on the US embassy in Greece page: https://gr.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/ 

Quarantine Information:

• Are U.S. citizens required to quarantine? No, unless they test positive for COVID-19
    • On May 14, 2021, the Greek government posted procedures for international arrivals.  See the airport website for additional details.  All travelers may be subject to random COVID-19 tests upon arrival.  If you are tested for COVID-19, you are permitted to travel to your final destination where you must self quarantine for 24 hours.  If positive, you will be notified and quarantined for a minimum of 7 days and possibly up to 14 days, depending on your vaccination status and other circumstances.  If negative, you will not be notified. 
    • All visitors must abide by all COVID-19 health protocols in place by the Greek Government without exception.  The U.S. Embassy in Athens cannot intervene in the mandatory isolation procedures or request an exception on behalf of the traveler.  Travelers may contact the General Secretariat for Civil Protection directly at +30 213-15100 or send an email to generalsecretary@civilprotection.gr / generalsecretary@gscp.gr.

And this on the Greece government page: https://travel.gov.gr/#/

Upon arrival:

Travelers arriving in Greece are subject to:

- Sampling RAPID antigen tests at the entrance gates for selected individuals drawn from a targeted sampling system, based on the ”EVA” system.

- Mandatory isolation if they test positive for SARS-Cov-2, following a sampling test. In this case, the travelers and their travel companions are accommodated in quarantine hotels, where they will undergo further PCR testing to confirm the initial diagnosis. Guests will stay in seclusion hotels for a maximum of 10 days. The expenses of the accommodation in quarantine hotels are covered by the Greek state.

Edited by classy_cruiser
added additional link

Here’s an update from the US embassy in Greece today. This seems to imply they issued the do not travel warning because  of people asking the embassy for help after being quarantined. 

https://gr.usembassy.gov/faq-on-positive-covid-19-tests-and-quarantine-in-greece/

What do I do if I test or a member of my traveling party tests positive for COVID-19?

Per the Greek National Tourism Organization, if you test positive, you must return to your place of accommodation, inform the owner of the positive COVID test, and take all necessary personal hygiene measures (quarantine) until further notice.  The Greek Civil Protection authorities may move you to a designated quarantine hotel or allow you to remain in your current accommodation, depending on the circumstances.  The cost of accommodation in designated quarantine hotels is covered by the Greek government.  The length of quarantine is determined by Civil Protection, typically 10-14 days.  This period cannot be shortened if your planned flight departs before the end of your quarantine, even if you obtain a follow up PCR test and the result is negative.  If you test positive while in Greece and do not follow the guidance of the Civil Protection authorities, you risk a fine of €5,000, and possible arrest.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, irvington said:

Honestly this is the scariest part of the trip for me.

Yep, especially the part about most likely having to do a 10-14 day quarantine even if no longer positive. I thought the article I posted above about the British family was exaggerated but that’s pretty much what they described. We can only pray the accommodations will be nicer with the cruise lines involved. 

We are making contingency plans with our pet sitter and letting our employers know there could be a potential 3 week absence. 

Luckily NCL Jade has not reported any positive end of cruise tests so far. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, classy_cruiser said:

Yep, especially the part about most likely having to do a 10-14 day quarantine even if no longer positive. I thought the article I posted above about the British family was exaggerated but that’s pretty much what they described. We can only pray the accommodations will be nicer with the cruise lines involved. 

We are making contingency plans with our pet sitter and letting our employers know there could be a potential 3 week absence. 

Luckily NCL Jade has not reported any positive end of cruise tests so far. 

Exactly, aside from the conditions (and wondering if I could pay for an upgrade) I’m imagining working remotely for two weeks while in a room with my college age son. That article was scary. I can only hope I could pay for separate rooms for us. I realize this pales in comparison to getting gravely ill or dying, but it is the one issue that makes me wonder if we are crazy to go.