Car Rental - Questions

vivig

HI Everyone,

We will be arriving the evening prior to the cruise...and my husband and I are wondering the following:

• Which car rental is closest /easiest from the Pier..ie. to return the car as well as to pick up the car. (Serenade of the Seas ..Pan Am Pier, that may prove to be helpful information when answering the question)
  • Can we arrive at the pier, park, register on the ship, settle in and then take the car and explore.
  • Which car rental do you suggest?

Thanking you all in advance, Have a gr8 day :D

Vivian

I agree big time !!!! Unless you plan to head to El Yunque or Arecibo or somewhere outside of San Juan DO NOT GET A CAR....

We stayed 3 days/2 nights precruise in old San Juan..... the streets are teeny tiny one way cobblestones.....traffic is horrendous and no parking to speak off....

You didnt say where you are going to explore - but if you are planning on checking in to ship first it wont be far. Since you cant even check in until around noon by the time you get back off it will be 1:00 ish.

Nothing moves quickly in the islands.... it always takes longer to get from point a to b than people allow time for. If you want to explore old San Juan take a taxi !! They know the area and what streets go which way etc etc.... prices are cheaper than renting a car and paying for insurance (dont think about not getting insurance !) and then gas wooooeeeyyy its expensive.

We did reserve a car for 1 day while there to drive up to El Yunque but weather forced us to cancel (Altho it was only cloudy in San Juan there were storms in the mountains and we were advised by our concierge it was not wise to go) but we also rented cars on St. Martin and Antigua as we like to "do our own thing" and try to avoid excursions with 50 people on them :eek: If you are set on renting - we always use Hertz and they have never done us wrong...... you can pickup at airport and drop off at Sheraton Old San Juan and take a taxi back to ship. Any other questions let me know. You will love San Juan - we did :D

Thanks for your responses.

We are thinking about renting a car since we are staying at the Embassy Suites Hotel Dorado del Mar Beach and Gold Club.

We thought it would be easier for us to explore a bit and to have the convenience of the car.

We booked late our room in San Juan and the prices we are being quoted is out of this world...I was going to perform another search this weekend to see if I can find anything closer to Old San Juan that is also reasonable in pricing as well as the experience. (I.e. cleanliness of the location.)

You mentioned Hertz..are they close to where the Serenade is docked?

Thanks again,

Vivian

Vivian, nothing is close to Pan Am pier as it is around the bend and ALL BY ITSELF. Try this to get your bearings www.langland.org/cruises/sanjuan.asp you must take a taxi to the Pan Am pier and as far as I know there are no car rental returns there. As far as a car being a convenience - not so in San Juan. It would be ok to use to get out to your hotel since it will be about an hour drive but to park and drive in old San Juan - just a hassle & a nightmare imo.

Hmmmm, as for hotel rooms they are just expensive in San Juan. We bit the bullet and stayed at El Convento because of the location and from what we had heard about it. It was built in the 1650's as a Carmelite convent and has a history in itself. Take a look www.elconvento.com It was awesome. They do have a pre/post cruise special you can only get online but you must stay 2 nights (we couldnt use it as we arrived Thanksgiving day and it is a blackout date due to it being a holiday) BUT it is right in old San Juan - near everything (right across from the cathedral) and a 4-5 minute walk to El Morro and all of old San Juan. We figured we would get plenty of beach time on all the islands we would be visiting and opted instead to explore OLD San Juan. Old San Juan is about 15 square blocks (@) and we loved it. Is about a 10-15 minute taxi ride to pier.

Any other questions.... I'll be happy to help if I can... Cheryl

Xela00: I dont know about you but I like to "talk to a human" when making important plans for my vacation.

My suggestion: Do a web search for Hertz. On their website is an 800 INTERNATIONAL NUMBER. Call them and ask all the questions you have and they should be very helpful.... they were to me. We actually reserved cars in San Juan, on St. Martin and Antigua as we like to "do our own thing" whenever we feel we won't have a hassle doing so. They were VERY easy to book with and all our cars were there waiting for us right on time etc....

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back and we rented a car for 2 days. Went to Ponce which is a hell raising 2 hour drive and the second day to the west coast. Both where CRAZY rides and at one point my wife asked me to park the car at the Hotel and leave it there till we go to the airport. I drive a Fire Truck for a living and thoses people are crazy on the highway.

If you don't need to rent a car find a good tour guide in Old San Juan and take a tour.

We did book from Hertz downtown and returned it to the airport.

We are going next winter on AOS, flying in two days before and renting van at Hertz airport for the 8 of us (big van). Staying in Isle Verde area.

Plan to use next day to do El Yunque (been there, know it takes time to do right, but very very worth it)(and while it will rain there frequently, like so many tropical places it usually doesn't last and besides, you will be too hot and sweaty from hiking in the heat and humidity to notice it raining!!) May drive into OSJ for the evening, using parking garage at the SE end of the tourist area so I don't have to drive the famous narrow twisted streets.

Boarding day I will drop off gang and luggage at the pier. Would like to check in and then I would disembark and return van to Caribe Hilton Hertz location (actually closer than the Sheraton OSJ to the Pan Am pier). Then a quick taxi ride back and we are off!

Key question for these boards:

Does anyone know if there is short term parking at the Pan Am pier while I check in? Would love to hear.

Thanks, and any questions on El Yunque upper trails let me know. I spent 6 hours hiking them a year ago, can't wait to go back and share with family.

bobj

interested in finding out what hikes you did and which you enjoyed most. renting a acr and going to the rain forest ourselves, but have limited time as it will be early afternoon before we get there. leaving in 3 weeks...can't wait!

I hiked from the Palo Colorado Picnic area up to El Yunque peak, then down and over to the Pichados, then across to Mt Britton Tower, then down to the end of the road, which I then had to walk down about a mile to where my car was. All told, a little more than 6 hours of sometimes strenuous hiking (lots of climb, you are going up about 1400 feet if you were to go to El Yunque peak).

If I were to suggest one part, it would be to drive all the way up as far as you can go, which is where the trailhead for the Mt Britton trail is. Climbing about 600 feet over 0.8 miles, it is listed as 40 minutes one way. It goes through some very beautiful landscape and terrain, and ends at the Tower with awesome views. Plus, it is pretty well paved for the most part.

This is the link to the trail map page on the official park web site, click on the Mt Britton Trail Package link to get specific info.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/caribbean/recreation/recreation_hiking.shtml

Hope this helps!

bobj

Archived