Bus Tours..cheap ROME

Foncai

I've never done Rome while on a cruise, only as a specific destination, but I think that most people book the ship's excursion because of the transportation expense and difficulties of travelling between the ship and the city. It's a VERY long way between the two.

Besides, I'll be happy to be your guide, for free. Just pay my way there. :D

Just make sure you get back on time or you will become an Italian citizen.

Very true, and Italian railways have a reputation of not being very prompt.

We've been to Civitavecchia three times on RCI cruises, visited Rome on two occasions. First time we did a cruise line tour and the second time we did a private tour. For my money, especially if it's your first time in Rome, the cruise line tour is worth every cent.

It's only cheaper if the railway gets you back on time. As mentioned, Italian railways aren't the most reliable form of transportation. For that matter many of the RCI tour busses were late getting back to the ship the day we were there. I'd hate to be trying to play catch up with the ship if for some reason the train wasn't on time.

Also, keep in mind that Rome is a very large city and, despite what we were told before heading to Italy, everyone does NOT speak English. In fact we found very few people willing to speak English to us when we were there. It can make for a miserable time getting around if you get lost.

If you're an experienced foriegn traveler and are comfortable in a foriegn country where not everyone is willing to speak to you in your own language, then self tours may be right up your alley. If you're not then it's best to pay the price and not have to worry.

It's only cheaper if the railway gets you back on time. As mentioned, Italian railways aren't the most reliable form of transportation. For that matter many of the RCI tour busses were late getting back to the ship the day we were there. I'd hate to be trying to play catch up with the ship if for some reason the train wasn't on time.

Also, keep in mind that Rome is a very large city and, despite what we were told before heading to Italy, everyone does NOT speak English. In fact we found very few people willing to speak English to us when we were there. It can make for a miserable time getting around if you get lost.

If you're an experienced foriegn traveler and are comfortable in a foriegn country where not everyone is willing to speak to you in your own language, then self tours may be right up your alley. If you're not then it's best to pay the price and not have to worry.

Exactly. So I renew my offer to be your guide, merely for the cost of my passage. :D

I really do know all the good stuff, and have several times been asked if I am for hire, while speaking to my students.

Archived