Rapid Test Worries

lowbudgetmama

I am freaking out about getting the Rapid Antigen Test before our Nov 6th cruise.  I am having no luck finding an appointment on November 4th (the ONLY day we can get it as we are flying out of LAX all day Nov 5th).  PLEASE tell me how you handled this.  Where did you get it?  Is there a place near the dock? 

Is there a place near the airport?  WHERE are you getting yours?  I have spent way too much money to lose it now!!

• 2 weeks later...

Do the online test.  So easy.  We were freaking out about it too.  The main thing is to make sure that you do the proctored exam.  When you hear about tests not being accepted it is when the person did the non-proctored test.

On 10/28/2021 at 10:37 PM, Sea-Bos said:

Do the online test.  So easy.  We were freaking out about it too.  The main thing is to make sure that you do the proctored exam.  When you hear about tests not being accepted it is when the person did the non-proctored test.

Might I ask which of the online tests did you use?  Is there only the one company Optum?  Were you able to use one proctor for more than one person doing the test or did each person doing the test have to log in separately and have their own individual proctor?  Sorry for so many questions but I've had a hard time finding information on this and am major stressing about it (in case you couldn't tell).  We are driving to the Fort Lauderdale from Delaware and will have to do the test along the way at one of our overnight stops using hotel internet which hopefully will be "secure" and strong enough for what needs to be done.  Any info you are willing to share would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Anne

1 hour ago, BabySarge said:

Might I ask which of the online tests did you use?  Is there only the one company Optum?  Were you able to use one proctor for more than one person doing the test or did each person doing the test have to log in separately and have their own individual proctor?  Sorry for so many questions but I've had a hard time finding information on this and am major stressing about it (in case you couldn't tell).  We are driving to the Fort Lauderdale from Delaware and will have to do the test along the way at one of our overnight stops using hotel internet which hopefully will be "secure" and strong enough for what needs to be done.  Any info you are willing to share would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Anne

Happy to help. My husband was freaking out too.  I ended up ordering 6 tests because I was told 3 weren’t coming. Long story, we ended up with 15 tests (but only paid for 6).  You can order your tests through optum or through Medex.  They are the exact same test.  If you have an HSA, it might pay for it. 

I know that each one has to be proctored separately.  I called the number. Was instructed to take the sleeve off, show them the code, open the box… they are very thorough with you showing the proctor each step.  That being said, it is super easy.  My husband and I both have phones so we downloaded the app separately and logged in to separate accounts.  You might want to google that.  

If you are really nervous, order an extra test.  It is an extra $30 or something but the peace of mind knowing you have the backup is worth it. 

We were stressed about so many things and when we arrived at the port and went through embarkation everything was so relaxing (I may have made fun of my husband).  

if you have more questions, I will be happy to try and answer them. 

Chloie

• Like 1

Thanks so much for answering, eases my mind quite a bit.  My only remaining question is does it have to be done using a smart phone or can it be done using a laptop computer?  I have a smartphone and am "okay" doing most things on it and while my husband does have a smartphone he doesn't even know how to text on it and uses it mostly as a paperweight (honestly, he does.  I have to remind him to even turn it on.)

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions; it is really appreciated.

Anne

On 10/31/2021 at 6:26 AM, BabySarge said:

Thanks so much for answering, eases my mind quite a bit.  My only remaining question is does it have to be done using a smart phone or can it be done using a laptop computer?  I have a smartphone and am "okay" doing most things on it and while my husband does have a smartphone he doesn't even know how to text on it and uses it mostly as a paperweight (honestly, he does.  I have to remind him to even turn it on.)

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions; it is really appreciated.

Anne

We only used our phone for the app.  The entire test we did on the computer. I would look under the question section and it should tell you (app for the computer 🤷🏼‍♀️).  I am not a total tech person. 

• Thanks 1

So, here's another lesson learned regarding these self test kits from the Optum Store (or probably any of the Abbott Binax Self Test kits) - don't order them too early.  We are not cruising until early January 2022 but being the obsessive pre-planner that I am I went ahead and purchased the $99.99 Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test with eMed Telehealth Services - 3 Pack for Travel from the Optum Store on October 31st so we would have them and I could check that worry off my list.  

I was, and am, aware of the fact that there is a warning on the Optum Store site that" Currently available test kits may expire as early as December 23, 2021."  and that also per the site "the FDA has approved a 3-month expiration extension for all test kits".  What I wasn't expecting when I ordered my kits though on October 31st was that the expiration date of the kits would be September 9th an expiration date prior to my even ordering; I foolishly thought the expiration date would be closer to the time frame I was actually ordering the kit or even after that date.  Stupid me!!

So, that's $99.99 we are out and can't get back because these test kits cannot be returned.  I shall try again in early December and cross all my fingers and toes that the expiration date on my next set of test kits will work out better than this last series.  I'm really going to enjoy that drinks package by the time I finally get on the cruise I can tell you that much!!

• Like 1

On 11/6/2021 at 7:36 AM, BabySarge said:

So, here's another lesson learned regarding these self test kits from the Optum Store (or probably any of the Abbott Binax Self Test kits) - don't order them too early.  We are not cruising until early January 2022 but being the obsessive pre-planner that I am I went ahead and purchased the $99.99 Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test with eMed Telehealth Services - 3 Pack for Travel from the Optum Store on October 31st so we would have them and I could check that worry off my list.  

I was, and am, aware of the fact that there is a warning on the Optum Store site that" Currently available test kits may expire as early as December 23, 2021."  and that also per the site "the FDA has approved a 3-month expiration extension for all test kits".  What I wasn't expecting when I ordered my kits though on October 31st was that the expiration date of the kits would be September 9th an expiration date prior to my even ordering; I foolishly thought the expiration date would be closer to the time frame I was actually ordering the kit or even after that date.  Stupid me!!

So, that's $99.99 we are out and can't get back because these test kits cannot be returned.  I shall try again in early December and cross all my fingers and toes that the expiration date on my next set of test kits will work out better than this last series.  I'm really going to enjoy that drinks package by the time I finally get on the cruise I can tell you that much!!

It sounds like they sent you outdated tests? Call them on it. We called because ours weren’t here and they said they wouldn’t be so we ordered from Medex and then the ones from optum showed up.  We ended up receiving 15 kits and paid for 6. 🤷🏼‍♀️  Call. It helped us 🤷🏼‍♀️ Good luck! 

• Like 1

So glad I called the Optum Store about the Abbott Binax Self Test kits I ordered and received with the expiration dates that were from September 2021 which was earlier than the October 2021 date I ordered the kits.  Customer service agent was very helpful and I am getting a full refund plus keeping the kits which DH and I will use to practice with before ordering again MUCH closer to our sail date in January 2022.

• Like 2