Ship-run beach excursions

We have cruised before and never did ship beach excursions. We taxi’d on our own to a beach and stay from as early as we can to as late as we can.  Usually 9 until about 4.

We are now having to do ship run beach excursions that list as 4 hours, none longer. With travel to/from and chair set up, that cuts beach time to a minimal amount of time, 2-1/2 hours really.

Our question now is, does everyone doing these “beach break”  tours leave and return same time on one trip, or is there a rolling amount of time and passengers choosing times to leave and return.  Does the ship designate a rigid start and end time? 

Several islands we are visiting in a few weeks, we have just been notified it is ship run excursions only.  we knew that was a possibility.  However, the selection is very limited  and two islands only offer one beach-only excursion. So everyone on the ship who just wants some sun and sand, will be on the same beach, same excursion (looking at you St. Lucia and Barbados).  Is the start and leave time flexible or are we really only going to sit on a bus, get a chair, read a chapter and time to go home? Yes, it’s great we’re vacationing, but was really hoping to really relax for some time on the beach.  It’s a Caribbean cruise.  

Edited by Chauncey Picklepants
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

You have to read the details of the excursion, some offer transportation back every 1/2 hour while others do not. I’m not happy that the excursion requirement is still there, makes no sense practically speaking.

None offer every 1/2 hour.  Practically speaking, if hundreds of passengers want beach-only - no catamaran, no lobster lunch, no waterfall -just beach, and there’s only one option, are they really rounding up all passengers at two designated times four hours apart?  Specifically in Barbados, they offer, in my opinion, the least desirable beaches.  Same in St. Lucia. But lots of $125+ pp options with choo choo train rides and walking tours and expensive catamaran rides with drinks, which is not our style in our 70s.  We just want 🏖 

53 minutes ago, Chauncey Picklepants said:

We have cruised before and never did ship beach excursions. We taxi’d on our own to a beach and stay from as early as we can to as late as we can.  Usually 9 until about 4.

We are now having to do ship run beach excursions that list as 4 hours, none longer. With travel to/from and chair set up, that cuts beach time to a minimal amount of time, 2-1/2 hours really.

Our question now is, does everyone doing these “beach break”  tours leave and return same time on one trip, or is there a rolling amount of time and passengers choosing times to leave and return.  Does the ship designate a rigid start and end time? 

Several islands we are visiting in a few weeks, we have just been notified it is ship run excursions only.  we knew that was a possibility.  However, the selection is very limited  and two islands only offer one beach-only excursion. So everyone on the ship who just wants some sun and sand, will be on the same beach, same excursion (looking at you St. Lucia and Barbados).  Is the start and leave time flexible or are we really only going to sit on a bus, get a chair, read a chapter and time to go home? Yes, it’s great we’re vacationing, but was really hoping to really relax for some time on the beach.  It’s a Caribbean cruise.  

We are the same as you, we hate that we have to do an excursion off the ship.  We normally get off as soon as possible, hear to our favorite beaches and chill all day.  Not happy about 3 hours on the beach, but right now it is what it is.  Better than sitting on the ship all day.  We booked Accra beach break in Barbados.  Haven't booked anything in St Lucia yet, but will book something as plan B.  Hoping both islands let us do our own thing for Dec.

24 minutes ago, karena1 said:

We are the same as you, we hate that we have to do an excursion off the ship.  We normally get off as soon as possible, hear to our favorite beaches and chill all day.  Not happy about 3 hours on the beach, but right now it is what it is.  Better than sitting on the ship all day.  We booked Accra beach break in Barbados.  Haven't booked anything in St Lucia yet, but will book something as plan B.  Hoping both islands let us do our own thing for Dec.

That Barbados Accra beach break leaves the ship at 8 and is back at 11:45. And it has only 48 slots left. After that, they will not add any additional excursions and you are literally stuck with no other beach day option.  Same with St Lucia but it leaves at 11, back at 3. We are cancelling. I was told, and don’t hold me to it, that these restrictions will most likely be for the whole winter cruising season. 

6 minutes ago, Chauncey Picklepants said:

That Barbados Accra beach break leaves the ship at 8 and is back at 11:45. And it has only 48 slots left. After that, they will not add any additional excursions and you are literally stuck with no other beach day option.  Same with St Lucia but it leaves at 11, back at 3. We are cancelling. I was told, and don’t hold me to it, that these restrictions will most likely be for the whole winter cruising season. 

The accra beach break I booked leaves at 9:15 and gets back 1:15.  Not ideal, but like I said, better than sitting on the ship all day.  Still curious if you will be able to shop in the little stores by the port. Otherwise, we will get back on the ship and go lay at the pool for the rest of the afternoon.

6 hours ago, karena1 said:

The accra beach break I booked leaves at 9:15 and gets back 1:15.  Not ideal, but like I said, better than sitting on the ship all day.  Still curious if you will be able to shop in the little stores by the port. Otherwise, we will get back on the ship and go lay at the pool for the rest of the afternoon.

Who wants to sit on a beach at 9 to be back at 1 on prime beach day.  If we wanted that, we’d not have chosen a 6-island Caribbean Beach itinerary. Shameful that they’re not at least offering at least a choice of times or extended beach visit. For $200 +/- for 4 people, that’s outrageous.  

14 hours ago, Chauncey Picklepants said:

Who wants to sit on a beach at 9 to be back at 1 on prime beach day.  If we wanted that, we’d not have chosen a 6-island Caribbean Beach itinerary. Shameful that they’re not at least offering at least a choice of times or extended beach visit. For $200 +/- for 4 people, that’s outrageous.  

Yeah I agree, it is St Lucia requirement, not Royals, but I also wish they would offer an excursion that lasted at least 6 hours at the beach.