Snorkling in St Kitts

CoNEY46

Can anyone reccomend a good beach where we can relax and do our skorkling. We have our own equiptment and don't want to pay for any excursions that will give us a limtted amount of water time.

We have really enjoyed snorkling right off the beaches of St Tomas and would like to find similiar beaches in St Kitts to spend the day

Looking for foward to all your remarks :)

I am looking for the same information, as we are sailing to St. Kitts on the Empress in March. Two sources for you-Fodors on line that describes St.Kitts beaches and look on the St. Kitts board on cruise critic-there is discussion of snorkeling on St. Kitts.:D

Hi, I am not Loucat, but I am also going to ST Kitts in March. So, I have been doing some research. IF you go to port call, and click on "caribbean other" then there will be lots of info on st kitts as well as other places not listed. Hope this helps out. Good Luck!!

I have some information that will hopefully help you. We were in St. Kitts last week on Holland America's Maasdam. Like you, we have our own snorkel gear and just wanted to go to a beach to relax and snorkel. From my research I found recommendations for South Frigate and also for Cockleshell. South Frigate is the closest beach to the dock (about 3 miles) so we decided to keep it simple and go there.

You can snorkel at the the end of the beach near the Timothy Beach Resort. Go out along and then around the rock jetty. We were pleasantly surprised - the snorkeling was much better than I would have expected. The highlights for us were having a spotted eagle ray circle around us and also seeing a family of cuttlefish - they are so unusual. Also parrotfish, seargent majors, tangs, butterflyfish, surgeonfish, angelfish, wrasses, etc. We went out twice and saw different things each time.

It was easy to get there - as you come off the ship at the dock there will be taxis waiting. They gathered a group of us heading the same way and off we went. It cost $10 for 2 of us. At the beach they will aggressively rent you 2 chairs and an umbrella for the day for $10. We were glad to have the shade by the afternoon. There is a beach bar but we had a small cooler with us so I can't comment on the bar. By late afternoon there were a couple of taxis waiting to take beach goers back - this time it was only $5 for the two of us. There is also a water taxi that costs $10 a person - it is a motorboat that anchors very close to shore. Saw a few people taking that.

The beach is pretty but not spectacular. At one end is a large hill that is not developed so it is scenic. The beach is not wide and gets pretty covered with the chairs and umbrellas. There are some vendors that come through on a regular basis but usually took a polite no and left you alone after that.

We also snorkeled at St. John and Barbados on this trip. The eagle ray was the snorkeling highlight for me - just beautiful...

Enjoy your trip!

Archived