Testing before returning to U.K.

2 hours ago, Lisa-UK said:

It is the Marella Explorer and we fly in to Tenerife South and board same day (package with Marella/TUI).  I believe the same cruise that you are on, we pick it up on the 14th.

I agree and feel your pain.  This will be my first Marella cruise.  We are party of 9 and this is for my parents Golden Anniversary.  Group bookings can be problematic, but I have never known such confusion, terrible web-links and separate portals and difficulty in finding info or reaching a representative for advise. 

We booked via travel agent who are in the dark about the changes.  Marella TUI refuse to speak to us directly and keep deferring back to agent.  We have all just ordered Klarity tests to completed for the return flight/return to UK.  By the time we get home, we will be like lab rats!!! :-0

If it was just me an hubbie on this cruise, we would have been beaten and postponed by now, but I have to remain positive for sake of the group and my parents celebration.

I appreciate these tests need to be paid for by someone and like you have done 2 cruises this year where tests are included.  If Marella sent a coherent communication and explanation it would help - I wonder how may folks might turn up with no test or wrong test!

Just trying to remain positive and hope we actually get onboard!

We are also getting on this ship on 14th dec,now ordered all our tests,hopefully there will be no more adjustments before next week,got enough to remember,just hope it all goes smooth,flying from Stan stead.hoping the plane maybe half empty with all these people cancelling or changing holidays 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Tizzy-Jo said:

Lisa-UK, when you get onboard, do let the Social Host/Hostess know about your parents Golden Anniversary. 

Hi

Absolutely will do, have lots planned - or trying to.  Trying to book speciality restaurants, TUI won't speak to me directly - Agent is not responding to emails.  I appreciate there is a pandemic and cruising seems like a luxury right now and the travel industry is trying to cope with mayhem, so I have got to be patient.

Once onboard, will just have to do what I can.  Taking cabin decorations, gifts and cards and we will be making the very best of it.

Thank you all

13 minutes ago, Lisa-UK said:

Hi

Absolutely will do, have lots planned - or trying to.  Trying to book speciality restaurants, TUI won't speak to me directly - Agent is not responding to emails.  I appreciate there is a pandemic and cruising seems like a luxury right now and the travel industry is trying to cope with mayhem, so I have got to be patient.

Once onboard, will just have to do what I can.  Taking cabin decorations, gifts and cards and we will be making the very best of it.

Thank you all

From my one and only experience on Marella I would say make it a priority as soon as possible after you board to book the speciality restaurants. Then once that is done retire to your nearest / favorite bar and have a large drink of your choice and congratulate yourself on a job well done and enjoy your well earned holiday. 😊

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Lisa-UK said:

Hi

Thank you all

If you booked the holiday online, you can book the restaurants online (not sure if thats the case if you booked in a shop). Regarding contacting Tui, I have had success using the 'chat' facility, but you are usually in a queue for a while (30 mins last time) 

5 minutes ago, howmuch! said:

If you booked the holiday online, you can book the restaurants online (not sure if thats the case if you booked in a shop). Regarding contacting Tui, I have had success using the 'chat' facility, but you are usually in a queue for a while (30 mins last time) 

I'm on the same cruise and booked direct, I have not been able to book the restaurants online. 😒

I'm now thoroughly pissed off with TUI / Marella after receiving this email, (an extraction from email).

Dear xxxxxx
Re: Booking Reference xxxxxxx

We’re writing to share some important news for your upcoming cruise.

On Saturday afternoon, the UK Government released an update to UK entry requirements, as part of the measures to manage the new Omicron variant of COVID-19, reintroducing the test-to-return process. This can be either an antigen (rapid flow) or PCR test, and must be taken no more than 48 hours before your return flight departure time. This is mandatory for all travellers arriving into the UK after 4am on Tuesday 7th December.

To make this as quick and easy as possible for you, we’ll provide the antigen (rapid flow) test and certification of these tests completely free of charge onboard.

Edit:

Just read further and found the line below but still pissed as I have already received my tests.

If you’ve already bought an extra test, you can get a refund for these. Please contact the test provider direct via their websites.

Edited by MX-Drew

I have not received the email yet (I'm now on the 30th Dec departure) but i read this as they will provide the "Fit to return" test and certificate .... which i have not yet ordered.

This is excellent news though.  As mentioned earlier, everybody has to be LFT tested anyway as part of Spain re-entry requirements at the end of the Cruise, so the extra they are providing is the certificate to allow us to board the TUI plane home!

Edited by ferretktf

2 hours ago, MX-Drew said:

Edit:

Just read further and found the line below but still pissed as I have already received my tests.

If you’ve already bought an extra test, you can get a refund for these. Please contact the test provider direct via their websites.

unused tests are valid for six months (Chronomics)  so you might be able to save until later if you didnt want the hassle of returning?

37 minutes ago, ferretktf said:

unused tests are valid for six months (Chronomics)  so you might be able to save until later if you didn't want the hassle of returning?

Thanks for the information but I have no need for an extra test within 6 months.

I don't think Chronomics will / can accept a returned test anyway as it may have been tampered with. Anyway why should I or Chronomics lose money (postage) due to the incompetence of TUI / Marella? 

Why they sent an email yesterday say we had to buy them then send another today say they will supply it (return to UK test) who knows.🤷‍♂️

Edited by MX-Drew

22 hours ago, lovetoholiday said:

I just wonder how easy or difficult it will be to upload the test result and receive the certificate.  Will there be internet access available on the ship?

The ship gives free internet access to the required sites for testing and PLF purposes , if you have access/spare data of your own you might find it works quicker though ,ships wifi easily gets clogged if a lot using it

No upload required for the "fit-to-return" - The Ships doctor will issue all certificates manually

You’ll get a paper certificate, containing all the information required by the UK Government, signed and stamped by the onboard Doctor. This will be checked before your flight home so please make sure you have it to hand with your other travel documents.

For the PLF, in October I completed and submitted mine before I left under the special dispensation for Cruises - subsequently have heard intimations that you cannot do this if a flight involved, but they accepted it in October so i will try again this time.

After reading the Tui Entry Requirement PDFs regarding testing before return to Uk, I noticed it said the LFT test and certificate were free until Dec 31st (we sail Jan 4th)

I spent 1hr and 20 mins before lunch on their 'Chat' (mostly waiting in the queue) to check if we would also receive the test free. They could or would not confirm we would, and suggested I keeping checking for updates. Before I could ask anything else, I was cut off. Fuming!

6 hours ago, ferretktf said:

For the PLF, in October I completed and submitted mine before I left under the special dispensation for Cruises - subsequently have heard intimations that you cannot do this if a flight involved, but they accepted it in October so i will try again this time.

For information, taken from gov.uk

If you’re visiting or returning to the UK on a cruise that lasts 19 days or less, submit the form in the 48 hours before boarding. If your cruise is longer, you can submit the form while travelling.

Yes, that is the ruling I followed (without problem) in the immediate aftermath of the concession being introduced, but subsequently others have stated / clarified that this is only supposed to apply to cruises who dock back in the UK and not to overseas cruises where you enter the UK on an airplane.

however, I intend to repeat the exercise again. As I understand it, the PLF cannot be submitted if conditions are not met, so if it allows me to submit and it generates a code, then that is good enough as far as I am concerned.

19 hours ago, MX-Drew said:

I'm now thoroughly pissed off with TUI / Marella after receiving this email, (an extraction from email).

Dear xxxxxx
Re: Booking Reference xxxxxxx

We’re writing to share some important news for your upcoming cruise.

On Saturday afternoon, the UK Government released an update to UK entry requirements, as part of the measures to manage the new Omicron variant of COVID-19, reintroducing the test-to-return process. This can be either an antigen (rapid flow) or PCR test, and must be taken no more than 48 hours before your return flight departure time. This is mandatory for all travellers arriving into the UK after 4am on Tuesday 7th December.

To make this as quick and easy as possible for you, we’ll provide the antigen (rapid flow) test and certification of these tests completely free of charge onboard.

Edit:

Just catching up - work getting in the way of my cruise planning - !! Not even thinking of packing until the weekend and working Monday too!  We fly Tuesday!

Yes, got that email Monday after buying tests.  It is frustrating - but with everything so up in the air, at least it is one less thing to get anxious about, as got the tests we need now.

Edited by Lisa-UK