Formal Nights

hampshirelad

7 hours ago, JodiandFrank said:

This thread has got me thinking.  Is a “Filling Station Shirt” similar to a “Bowling Team Shirt”?   You know, with the person’s name embroidered on the front side of the shirt?!?!?

I can’t remember how it was depicted in the 1950 film but arguably the play is now better known and again I can’t recall but the stage direction calls it “crumpled and poor fitting”. Famously Norma Desmond takes him to an upmarket menswear store to attire him, he declares that “he won’t wear a tux” to which the reply is “of course not dear, tuxedos are for waiters!”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/21/2022 at 12:25 AM, florisdekort said:

I’m not interested at all in what other people wear or what they want the dress code to be. I’m only interested in complying with what the dress code is as per Seabourn’s website. 

Thank you for such a sane comment. We'll be Seabourn newbies in Sept 2023. What exactly is their version of smart casual? On their website I think they refer to it as elegant casual, but the description is vague. It says men should wear "slacks" and a collared "dress shirt" or sweater. What do they mean by dress shirt? Does it have to be long-sleeved and with buttons? What about a nice short-sleeved polo shirt? Or a long-sleeved Rugby-style shirt (with collar)? And since any of that can be substituted, it seems, for a sweater, does the shirt under the sweater need a collar? I'm not trying to be nit-picky. Rather, like you, I just want to be sure we follow the code, since we also have no intention of participating in formal nights.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BaltiGator said:

Thank you for such a sane comment. We'll be Seabourn newbies in Sept 2023. What exactly is their version of smart casual? On their website I think they refer to it as elegant casual, but the description is vague. It says men should wear "slacks" and a collared "dress shirt" or sweater. What do they mean by dress shirt? Does it have to be long-sleeved and with buttons? What about a nice short-sleeved polo shirt? Or a long-sleeved Rugby-style shirt (with collar)? And since any of that can be substituted, it seems, for a sweater, does the shirt under the sweater need a collar? I'm not trying to be nit-picky. Rather, like you, I just want to be sure we follow the code, since we also have no intention of participating in formal nights.

It does not officially have to be long-sleeved or have buttons (just a collar).  A polo shirt has a collar.  I have seen many men in collared polo shirts.  Obviously they don't look as dressed up as a long-sleeved shirt with a collar.

Only 1 out of 7 nights is a "formal" night, so you would not have a problem -- try and get a TK grill reservation on the formal night (great food, nice casual ok)

25 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

It does not officially have to be long-sleeved or have buttons (just a collar).  A polo shirt has a collar.  I have seen many men in collared polo shirts.  Obviously they don't look as dressed up as a long-sleeved shirt with a collar.

Only 1 out of 7 nights is a "formal" night, so you would not have a problem -- try and get a TK grill reservation on the formal night (great food, nice casual ok)

Thank you!

The sign onboard says “elegant casual” and tonight in the restaurant which was nearly full I would say less than 10% had a jacket, only about 20% I would say had anything like a “dress shirt” ie a plain collared long sleeve shirt, most where in various polo t shirts and loose fitting long sleeved shirts, in short what I would say was casual. It was a night at your local neighbourhood restaurant rather than anything remotely upscale. We yet again failed to get any table near a window and were plonked in the middle surrounded by loud tables of 6-8, what I will say is there seem any more groups than we are used to. The place was deafening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BaltiGator said:

This is where the code as printed is open for interpretation and IS interpreted according to culture and custom.  To me, a dress shirt has buttons all the way down the front, long sleeves and a collar---another person might see a polo shirt as a dress shirt.  For this reason, some may be more dressed up than others due to their interpretation of the written dress code.  

Edited by SLSD

2 hours ago, SLSD said:

This is where the code as printed is open for interpretation and IS interpreted according to culture and custom.  To me, a dress shirt has buttons all the way down the front, long sleeves and a collar---another person might see a polo shirt as a dress shirt.  For this reason, some may be more dressed up than others due to their interpretation of the written dress code.  

No, it’s not open for interpretation. It says collar. It does not say long sleeves. A short sleeved polo with slacks is perfectly fine. 

And this is precisely why these topics always get closed by the moderators. Because people start confusing what the dress code is with what they want it to be. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Florisdekort, It has not been my aim to upset anyone with my posts here.  I always try to be polite and friendly to everyone.  But, I think you are misinterpreting what I am saying.  I don't try to make the dress code what I want it to be.  My only point here is that the words "dress shirt" may be interpreted differently by different people according to their own experience, locale, and custom.  In other words, what is a dress shirt to one person may not be a dress shirt to another.  I understand this and do not judge people for their difference perspectives.  The SB site mentions "collared dress shirt".  THAT is what is open for interpretation.  Not the word collar, but the words dress shirt.  

I sincerely apologize if I have upset anyone on this board by trying to point this out.  That was not my intention.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1