Travel Protection via NCL: "Essentials" and "Standard" and "Platinum"

styxfire

I'm having difficulty understanding insurance through NCL.  When I was completing the online check-in, there's only one choice, called "Essentials"... $35pp.  But later through some reading, it appears there are 2 plans:  "Standard", "Platinum".   So after days & days of searching, I finally found one webpage listing 3 NCL plans:  https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/booksafe  

QU #1:  If NCL actually has 3 plans, why were my online choices only "Essentials" or "skip" ?

All 3 plans provide:

Trip Delay - Reimbursement for catch-up expenses like meals and hotel if you are delayed getting to or from your trip

Accident Medical/Sickness Medical - Reimbursement if you get sick or injured on your trip

Emergency Evacuation - Coverage if you need emergency medical transportation

Repatriation - Coverage provides for shipment of remains in the event of death during the trip

Baggage Loss - Reimbursement if your things are lost, stolen or damaged

Bag Delay - Reimbursement if bags are delayed 24+ hours and you need to purchase necessary items

The difference seems to be that "Essentials" doesn't offer Future Cruise Credit nor Trip Cancellation nor Trip Interruption.  However, if NCL cancels the cruise, they'll give me FCC anyway.  And, if they deny me boarding due to positive covid test at embark, they'll still pay quarantine expenses if I show my prior (w/in 3 days) negative test (proctored).  And if my trip is interrupted due to catching covid, they'll still pay my medical 'cuz its covered in Essentials.

QU #2:  So why would I need a Standard/Platinum plan?  Can someone clarify what I'm mis-understanding?  (fyi my only concerns are quarantine costs or severe covid, not any other interruption.  Trip cost = $750 cash/pp + $250 of CruiseNext vouchers.  3rdParty insurers are $450 - $650, which IMO is too high a % of trip cost to be worth it)

55 minutes ago, styxfire said:

I'm having difficulty ... completing the online check-in, there's only one choice, called "Essentials"... $35pp.  But ... appears there are 2 plans:  "Standard", "Platinum".   

QU #1:  If NCL actually has 3 plans, why were my online choices only "Essentials" or "skip" ? 

I will try to partially answer or comment only on part of your questions: (leave the rest to other insurance experts)  The cruise that you are currently booked on, is very likely (if not 100% certain) beyond final payment & inside the penalty timeline, thus, you cannot obtain CFAR coverage at this point forward, at least not from NCL.  

The Essential Plan is the only option available and being offered to you - as it provide basic & minimal coverage for what is called "post departure travel protection" with popular & common benefits, the premium is quite low and really doesn't cost a whole lot vs. the Standard and Platinum package at NCL.  It's take it or leave it and go entirely insured, or self-insured with all the risks.  

Onboard medical care, routine or urgent ones, including unexpected medical emergencies are typically not covered by most private health or medical insurance plans - the charges can really add up quickly, fast and high ... this plan give you some coverage and reimbursement of expenses, but ... ICU level of care, including intubation and being on a ventilator, CAT scans and full lab tests, etc. are costly and with the ship's medical center, at prevailing & customary charges.  Think beyond Covid-19 for a moment and pay attention to pre-existing conditions & look-back period.  

The benefits paid for the other Standard or Platinum coverage are different - kindly look closely at the fine prints & disclosures.  Goggle online trip & travel insurance sites, compare their plans, prices & the rest vs. NCL - the one and only option being offered to you is barebone - the choice is yours to decide or find someone else different & better, or none at all.  It is possible that the credit card you are using might have you covered, partially - do check & confirm if ... 

Happy holidays ! 

Edited by mking8288
  • Thanks 2

Just a note, friend on cruise thought she had the best insurance in the world, and it didn't cover the very high cost of visits to the sickbay off the coast of the Mexican Riviera, for flu-like symptoms (this was pre COVID). She was given minimal treatment and a flu test (negative), I think it was my Jakeman's cough drops that finally helped her. There was a lot of creeping crud AND flu on board, but maybe if people would really comply with indoor masking it will be better this year.