Celebrity Edge January 9-16, 2022

PlainvilleGirl

We should be all excited and looking forward to our first cruise in 2 years, but we are home instead.  Once the CDC came out with their guidelines, we decided the risk to us (fully vaccinated and boosted) was too great to take a chance, and we cancelled.  We had the insurance, but turns out unless we were diagnosed with Covid, they would not refund our full fare.  They told us we would receive "up to 90%" back; we would forfeit what the insurance cost was ($288.)  Celebrity would only give us full credit for another cruise.  All told, I am disappointed all around.  I am not sure the cruise lines really care about our "health and well being".  I hope that we will be able to take another cruise, but I still wish Celebrity gave us the option of a full refund because of CDC guidelines.

I agree that once the CDC came out with the guidelines, a full refund should have been available.  It's an incredible headache all around to have these FCC to deal with for both parties.  A cruiser is going to cruise.  There is no need to hold the funds hostage. It just creates stress and animosity, which is the opposite of the goal when arranging a vacation.

• Like 1

I think refunding the full fare for a future cruise is fair.   As stated people that cruise are going to cruise.   It is better than the amount that would have been refunded after final payment.  I don’t think you would have received back very much if you canceled one or two days before the cruise under the regular contract.   

As far as forfeiting your insurance premium, that is how insurance policies work.  You pay the premium and if you make a claim you are paid but they don’t also give back the premium.   If you don’t want the cruise line to keep your money take the 90%.     Either way I don’t think your premium is going to be refunded.   I have never seen a policy that refunded the premium because you didn’t need it.   You paid  insurance for the cruise and  received the coverage.  

That is my opinion and I am sure that others will differ but I feel you are being treated fairly. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, bunnybee said:

I agree that once the CDC came out with the guidelines, a full refund should have been available.  It's an incredible headache all around to have these FCC to deal with for both parties.  A cruiser is going to cruise.  There is no need to hold the funds hostage. It just creates stress and animosity, which is the opposite of the goal when arranging a vacation.

The cruise line doesn't care! We're past our refund date for a spring 2021 cruise that Celebrity cancelled. It's my fault I lost track of the final date to request a refund, but we never received a reminder notice from Celebrity, either. We scheduled a cruise for July (we need to use the FCC by 12-31-22), and if we miss that, then Celebrity gets to keep the $20,000 cash that we had paid. And they don't have to do anything fort it. After the deposit, I had been paying $900 a month for the cruise. Learned my lesson, I'm never going to pay the balance until the final payment date. Hoping things are better in the summer months.

28 minutes ago, CynthiaP said:

The cruise line doesn't care! We're past our refund date for a spring 2021 cruise that Celebrity cancelled. It's my fault I lost track of the final date to request a refund, but we never received a reminder notice from Celebrity, either. We scheduled a cruise for July (we need to use the FCC by 12-31-22), and if we miss that, then Celebrity gets to keep the $20,000 cash that we had paid. And they don't have to do anything fort it. After the deposit, I had been paying $900 a month for the cruise. Learned my lesson, I'm never going to pay the balance until the final payment date. Hoping things are better in the summer months.

Waiting to final pay is important.  We have an August cruise.  All paid except about $200.  That amount will not be paid until the final payment date.  A combo of 4 FCCs.

1 hour ago, CynthiaP said:

I'm so sorry to hear of all your troubles. I would call the Captain's Club (put it on speaker so you don't go mad waiting) and don't hang up until you have some type of refund/credit combo.  These are extraordinary times and goodwill needs to be extended.  Make a bullet point list and stick to it, also remain calm and polite.  If the first person can't help ask to escalate it, use that term (I know from experience.).  Repeat as needed.