CDC protocols withdrawn

Senga

2 minutes ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

Thanks for that info.  I find it very interesting.  I'm curious if Princess would institute the day of testing and perhaps eliminate the 2 days out.  that may help limit the virus getting on board and help loosen some of the on board restrictions if found to be effective.

I expect that even if they added at pier they would keep the 2 day requirement. Two tests atleast 1 day apart is far more effective that any one test.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Thanks for your opinion. I have to disagree. The CDC would shut cruising down if spread was inevitable.

It has been proven that various safety protocols work. Most effective if used as layers of protection.

Fortunately, the cruise industry is voluntarily maintaining safety protocols. Contagion on the ships seem to be subsiding. 😷

I urge all travellers. Do not force yourself to cruise if you don't like needles, masks or tests. 😎

If they didn't feel the spread was inevitable, they wouldn't have quarantine cabins set aside.  They can do all the protocols they want, but masking and vaccinations don't prevent the spread...they only mitigate it.  So, if 1 person comes on board with the virus, the chance that more than 1 leaves with the virus is almost inevitable. 

Edited by USCcruisecrazy

40 minutes ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

If they didn't feel the spread was inevitable, they wouldn't have quarantine cabins set aside.  They can do all the protocols they want, but masking and vaccinations don't prevent the spread...they only mitigate it.  So, if 1 person comes on board with the virus, the chance that more than 1 leaves with the virus is almost inevitable. 

Yep, but reducing an R0 10 environment to an R0 4 environment prevents a lot of cases.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

Yes, I agree it can eliminate a few potential cases.  But, if safety is the biggest concern, then do the 10 minute tests at the dock prior to boarding the ship.  That would eliminate even more.  Problem is that if you had to wait until then for assurance of boarding, many more people would just sit out...it's too risky.

The UK requires tests at the dock prior to boarding the ship. I do not know the actual numbers, but I do not expect that reduced bookings by people willing to cruise during the pandemic.

The reason Princess requires tests two days before boarding is because that was the CDC guidance. But I suspect the reason Princess does not do embarkation day boarding is the cost to Princess. Safety first, if the passengers pay for it themselves in advance of the cruise.

1 hour ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

a test before walking onto the ship may prove valuable and could also be a great way to eliminate mask usage in all or most instances.

A test on embarkation day is certainly better than a test two days earlier, but that will not detect infected passengers who do not yet have enough infection to be detected at that time.

So masking would still be required as it will be the most effective way from keeping people with undetected cases from infecting others.

• Like 2