Experience with Walgreens Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID Now) being accepted by Viking?

spocruiser

Sailing LA to Fort Lauderdale/Panama Canal Route in about two weeks. I am interested in hearing from anyone who used the Walgreens Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID Now) to meet the required covid test for Viking. Was it readily accepted by Viking or did you have issues?  I am aware of the previous similar thread from last October, but it contained more uncertainty, conflicting responses from Viking, etc., rather than guidance.  I am hoping that now that a few more months have passed, there may be individuals with practical experience with this test for a Viking cruise.  Thank you.

50 minutes ago, spocruiser said:

Sailing LA to Fort Lauderdale/Panama Canal Route in about two weeks. I am interested in hearing from anyone who used the Walgreens Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID Now) to meet the required covid test for Viking. Was it readily accepted by Viking or did you have issues?  I am aware of the previous similar thread from last October, but it contained more uncertainty, conflicting responses from Viking, etc., rather than guidance.  I am hoping that now that a few more months have passed, there may be individuals with practical experience with this test for a Viking cruise.  Thank you.

Not sure it makes any difference for the Antarctica trip now. We are tested in Miami.  We will go ahead and do the Walgreens test 

4 hours ago, spocruiser said:

We did the Panama FLL to LA in November. We used the Walgreens ID Now (results in 24 hrs). We got our results in 1 hour. It is a NAAT test, or at least was when we took it. If you look at the departure from US ports on the documentation under the Resources Tab for your cruise, it says that NAAT tests are allowed. 

3 minutes ago, spocruiser said:

Australia08;

Thank you.

In some ways canceling our excursions on the Antartica trip has made the testing much easier.  We were having to deal with Chile and then Argentina then Viking and of course the US.  I think we still have to deal with Argentina and of course Viking...but I don't think we have to quarantine in a hotel in Argentina just get tested on the ship.

Will try to go back to Chile to see Easter Island one of the days... If I still have any run way left...

On 1/23/2022 at 4:55 PM, Australia08 said:

We did the Panama FLL to LA in November. We used the Walgreens ID Now (results in 24 hrs). We got our results in 1 hour. It is a NAAT test, or at least was when we took it. If you look at the departure from US ports on the documentation under the Resources Tab for your cruise, it says that NAAT tests are allowed. 

We also used this Walgreen's ID Now test (NAAT) for our Panama Canal/Central America cruise last November.  Fully acceptable for boarding at that time.

jmfdr; Thank you for sharing your experience.

I was feeling pretty good about the NAAT test in light of Australia08"s comment...

On 1/23/2022 at 4:55 PM, Australia08 said:

If you look at the departure from US ports on the documentation under the Resources Tab for your cruise, it says that NAAT tests are allowed. 

But then Viking put out a new document under the Resources Tab with different verbiage. While the previous "IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR CRUISE" document explicitly referenced NAAT tests as acceptable, the new language, effective January 21, 2022, indicates passengers need:

3. Proof of negative COVID-19 Test – with a laboratory-certified proof of negative result..

- PCR test taken within 72 hours of boarding first outbound flight from home country, or

- Antigen test taken within 24 hours of boarding first outbound flight from home country

- Viking will accept select at-home COVID-19 tests.

The prior reference to NAAT tests is no longer there.  The NAAT language in included, however, under the "ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS IF TRAVELING FROM OUTSIDE THE US" section, which indicates such passengers need:

1. Proof of negative COVID-19 NAAT/PCR or antigen test, taken no more than one (1) day prior to flying to the US.

It is my understanding that both a PCR test and a NAAT test are similar in that they are both molecular diagnostic tests, but I don't think this technically makes a NAAT test a type of PCR test. I have written to Viking with the hope of getting a written clarification, I just wish Viking was consistent in their descriptions of what we need to travel. We have relatively easy access to NAAT testing with quick turnaround times, but finding a PCR test with quick turnaround times is proving difficult.

Initial written response from Viking..."will respond in 7-10 business days".  Will be on the ship (hopefully) by then.

So I called, was told negative NAAT test would work just fine.

Would prefer to have something in writing saying this, but this is all I have at this time.

Well, I heard back in writing from Viking, and surprisingly, the inconsistent information has gone from bad to worse.  The Viking Rep wrote:

Please see the updated email that was sent on 1/24/2022 with new regulations. Since you are not flying internationally, an Antigen test will need to be taken within 24 hours of boarding first outbound flight from the US.  We will now accept select at-home COVID-19 tests.  The 72 hours prior to boarding is for international flights only.

As this is clearly incorrect, I have responded as follows:

While I appreciate your prompt response, not only did you not answer my question about whether a "NAAT test" would suffice in light of Viking's language change in the most updated "REQUIREMENTS" document which neglected to include the NAAT language, you are totally misstating what the REQUIREMENTS document associated with the 1/24/22 email states.  Nowhere in the document does it state that an Antigen test taken within 24 hours is required for those traveling within the US. You have it backwards, the document states the 24 hour requirement is for those passengers who are "traveling from outside the US" and even then those passengers clearly have the option of a PCR, NAAT or Antigen test.  

I spoke to a Viking Representative yesterday who assured me that a negative NAAT test result from a test taken within three days of boarding would suffice.  I would, however, like to get this in writing from Viking.  Please refer my inquiry to a Supervisor ASAP so I can get my specific question answered.  My wife and I are frequent cruisers and are trying Viking for the first time.  The mixed information from Viking on testing is very disheartening.

Thank you for your prompt attention to my inquiry.

If I get better information, I will post again.
  • Like 1

For what it is worth, I heard back from the Viking Rep who gave me the incorrect information that only a negative 24 hour Antigen test would be accepted for passengers originating from the US (for my LA to Fort Lauderdale Panama Canal cruise - see my prior posts if you want more background). She stated:

In speaking with my supervisor, I can confirm that either the PCR test (RT-PCR) can be taken 72 hours prior to your first outbound flight or you may take an Antigen test 24 hours prior to boarding your first outbound flight.  

The supervisor also has confirmed that the only NAAT that will be acceptable by Viking for travel is an RT-PCR.

I sincerely apologize for the mix up.  

Unfortunately, this contradicts the Viking Rep I spoke to on the phone who assured me that a negative NAAT test would suffice.  I do believe the language used in the above email is incorrect. My understanding is that while a NAAT test and a RT-PCR test are both molecular tests, that is they are testing to find the same genetic material, they are in fact different tests, that contrary to the statement above, the RT-PCR test is not a type of NAAT test.

This is all very frustrating.

1 hour ago, spocruiser said:

My understanding is that while a NAAT test and a RT-PCR test are both molecular tests, that is they are testing to find the same genetic material, they are in fact different tests, that contrary to the statement above, the RT-PCR test is not a type of NAAT test.

You're wrong. RT-PCR is one of several methods of doing an NAAT:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/lab/naats.html

The NAAT procedure works by first amplifying – or making many copies of – the virus’s genetic material, if any is present in a person’s specimen. Amplifying those nucleic acids enables NAATs to detect very small amounts of SARS-CoV-2 RNA in a specimen, making these tests highly sensitive for diagnosing COVID-19. In other words, NAATs can reliably detect small amounts of SARS-CoV-2 and are unlikely to return a false-negative result of SARS-CoV-2.

NAATs can use many different methods to amplify nucleic acids and detect the virus, including but not limited to:

• Reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR)
  • Isothermal amplification including:
    • Nicking endonuclease amplification reaction (NEAR)
    • Transcription mediated amplification (TMA)
    • Loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP)
    • Helicase-dependent amplification (HDA)
    • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)
    • Strand displacement amplification (SDA)
Edited by njhorseman

23 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

You're wrong. RT-PCR is one of several methods of doing an NAAT:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/lab/naats.html

The NAAT procedure works by first amplifying – or making many copies of – the virus’s genetic material, if any is present in a person’s specimen. Amplifying those nucleic acids enables NAATs to detect very small amounts of SARS-CoV-2 RNA in a specimen, making these tests highly sensitive for diagnosing COVID-19. In other words, NAATs can reliably detect small amounts of SARS-CoV-2 and are unlikely to return a false-negative result of SARS-CoV-2.

NAATs can use many different methods to amplify nucleic acids and detect the virus, including but not limited to:

• Reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR)
  • Isothermal amplification including:
    • Nicking endonuclease amplification reaction (NEAR)
    • Transcription mediated amplification (TMA)
    • Loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP)
    • Helicase-dependent amplification (HDA)
    • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)
    • Strand displacement amplification (SDA)

Thank you for the correction and the additional detail.  I do appreciate it. 

If you don't mind two follow-up questions, if you know...

Is Walgreens Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW), described as a "Rapid Molecular Test" an NAAT test?

If so, is it any less reliable than a RT-PCR?

Thanks for any further clarification you can provide.

5 hours ago, spocruiser said:

Thank you for the correction and the additional detail.  I do appreciate it. 

If you don't mind two follow-up questions, if you know...

Is Walgreens Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW), described as a "Rapid Molecular Test" an NAAT test?

If so, is it any less reliable than a RT-PCR?

Thanks for any further clarification you can provide.

ID NOW is an NAAT test. 

I saw a study that indicated it may be less reliable than RT PCR but I'm certainly not in a position to make a definitive statement about that... only those doing the research can.

40 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

ID NOW is an NAAT test. 

I saw a study that indicated it may be less reliable than RT PCR but I'm certainly not in a position to make a definitive statement about that... only those doing the research can.

Thank you.

• 3 months later...
On 1/25/2022 at 10:31 AM, spocruiser said:

jmfdr; Thank you for sharing your experience.

I was feeling pretty good about the NAAT test in light of Australia08"s comment...

But then Viking put out a new document under the Resources Tab with different verbiage. While the previous "IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR CRUISE" document explicitly referenced NAAT tests as acceptable, the new language, effective January 21, 2022, indicates passengers need:

3. Proof of negative COVID-19 Test – with a laboratory-certified proof of negative result..

- PCR test taken within 72 hours of boarding first outbound flight from home country, or

- Antigen test taken within 24 hours of boarding first outbound flight from home country

- Viking will accept select at-home COVID-19 tests.

The prior reference to NAAT tests is no longer there.  The NAAT language in included, however, under the "ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS IF TRAVELING FROM OUTSIDE THE US" section, which indicates such passengers need:

1. Proof of negative COVID-19 NAAT/PCR or antigen test, taken no more than one (1) day prior to flying to the US.

It is my understanding that both a PCR test and a NAAT test are similar in that they are both molecular diagnostic tests, but I don't think this technically makes a NAAT test a type of PCR test. I have written to Viking with the hope of getting a written clarification, I just wish Viking was consistent in their descriptions of what we need to travel. We have relatively easy access to NAAT testing with quick turnaround times, but finding a PCR test with quick turnaround times is proving difficult.

Which test did you end up taking for your Viking cruise?

42 minutes ago, SailingDeb2001 said:

Which test did you end up taking for your Viking cruise?

You're looking at  a post made 3 1/2 months ago, and protocols could have changed numerous times since then. 

You want to determine what's needed now, not what was needed months ago.

44 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

You're looking at  a post made 3 1/2 months ago, and protocols could have changed numerous times since then. 

You want to determine what's needed now, not what was needed months ago.

Thanks.  Viking still has the same testing requirements (PCR test taken within 72 hours /or/ Antigen test taken within 24 hours), so I was just wondering if the Walgreen's NAAT test was attempted/accepted.

5 hours ago, maryup said:

I just chatted with a agent and asked that question which was yes they accept it.  I printed the response I got and will take it with me in case there is a problem.

I was told by Viking that an NAAT test is acceptable IF it is a PCR test.  Walgreens webstite didn't indicate it is such.

4 hours ago, CTLeeA said:

I was told by Viking that an NAAT test is acceptable IF it is a PCR test.  Walgreens webstite didn't indicate it is such.

That's totally backwards. Read post 11, where I explain that a PCR test is a type of NAAT, not the other way around. 

Typical telephone customer service.  They have no idea what the correct answer is...they're not properly trained.

4 hours ago, njhorseman said:

That's totally backwards. Read post 11, where I explain that a PCR test is a type of NAAT, not the other way around. 

Typical telephone customer service.  They have no idea what the correct answer is...they're not properly trained.

I don't agree that Viking was wrong.  You appear to be overlooking the word, "IF" in Viking's response.  I interpret their response to  mean that IF the test is both NAAT and PCR, it's acceptable.  BTW:  do you have some professional creds on this subject or just a googler?

3 hours ago, CTLeeA said:

I don't agree that Viking was wrong.  You appear to be overlooking the word, "IF" in Viking's response.  I interpret their response to  mean that IF the test is both NAAT and PCR, it's acceptable.  BTW:  do you have some professional creds on this subject or just a googler?

Let's say I'm well educated in the sciences although I am not a physician, chemist or biologist.

Before you start making snide remarks you might want to actually read what I cited in post 11, which was taken from an official government source in order to assure posters of what the correct test definitions and terminology are.

Unfortunately there's been a history of Viking telephone customer services not understanding that NAATs other than PCR exist .

I'm bowing out of any further posting on this thread.

Edited by njhorseman

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2022 at 12:36 PM, maryup said:

This what Walgreens wrote down:  They are CLIA laboratory certified which Viking said they accept

Now Walgreens, via LabCorp, is offering a PCR test to be taken at home, and to,  via Fedex send  back to LabCorp.  There is no proctoring of this self administered test.  The LabCorp employee I spoke with said she just returned from a Carnival cruise and it was accepted possibly because the results were certified at the lab/ In Viking's instructions, they're looking for a negative PCR test but say nothing about a need for it to be proctored.  On the phone with them, they claim it must be proctored (which makes sense) but I don't understand Viking's lack of clarity in their instructions.