NeilP57

2 hours ago, jrkear said:

We order from our local bank –

Norwegian Krone - 500 Krone / denominations 50

Danish Krone - 250 Krone / denominations 50

Polish Zioty - 40 Zioty / denominations 10

50 Euro / denominations 5

Swedish Krona – 60 Krone / denominations 20

So far we have only been in Norway, but on SE we have tipped guides 50 Krone total for both us (about $5 USD) for 2-3 hours trips and 100 Krone on the 7 hour trip.  I hope we are doing it correct.  I will say 75 to 90% tip of those it ranges from USD, Euros and Krone. We took the time to get local currency as we figured would you like to be tip in the US in Krone or Euros? (But that being said the guides looked happy to be tipped in any currency) Additionally, they pay a higher exchange fee on small bills.  Even at a US Bank we paid a penalty if we did convert more than a total of $250 USD (we took the extra in Euros), luckily our bank allowed us to do it over mult currencies. If you go to local bank make sure you order in smallest denominations (see above which are min paper denominations that we ordered) so you don’t get big bills.

We have not bought anything from the ports we have been at, that being said it looks like you can use plastic at every place I have seen.

If we have currency left over we will either give to crew as they go to these ports mult times or give to charty in the airport.

Only 60 Krona?

2 hours ago, duquephart said:

Only 60 Krona?

I was supposed to get 80, but wrote 60 on the order form I was planning of 40 krona per SE as we are doing 2. So someone may get Euros.

1 minute ago, jrkear said:

I was supposed to get 80, but wrote 60 on the order form I was planning of 40 krona per SE as we are doing 2. So someone may get Euros.

Also this is our first cruise so I am making it as we go because hard to get advice 

9 minutes ago, jrkear said:

Also this is our first cruise so I am making it as we go because hard to get advice 

So you are tipping local guides as Viking suggests (although contrary to custom) and perhaps a little extra for incidentals, all in local currency?

12 minutes ago, duquephart said:

So you are tipping local guides as Viking suggests (although contrary to custom) and perhaps a little extra for incidentals, all in local currency?

That is correct, my feeling is it is only a couple of USD equivalent so I decided to go  for it. Additionally most of our tour guides have been students and I remember how broke I was as a student.

23 hours ago, jrkear said:

Ok now for my disappointment. Manfred’s!!! We had our 3rd dinner. First was the Restaurants very nice, then the Chief’s table who killed it. Then on the 3rd night we went to Manfred’s thinking it was the high-end restraint on board (I put on a sports coat and my wife a dress).  I may be in the minority, but the service was nothing near the other 2 and food was the lowest of the 3.  So I can say for a first time Viking Cruiser I thought Manfred’s was top restaurant on board. My vote is NO .. DON"T GO (ok go once a you decide)!!  We are canceling our 3 remaining reservations.  I hate to complain and if someone wants exact details, please DM me and I will give more. But disappointed … that being said both the Restaurant and Chiefs Table which we now have 5 reservations killed!!  So even though one disappointed the other 2 made up for it.

Interesting. We've been on a number of Viking ocean cruises and always liked Manfredi's. We've been unimpressed by the Chef's Table.

I guess it all balances out!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, oldgeez said:

Interesting. We've been on a number of Viking ocean cruises and always liked Manfredi's. We've been unimpressed by the Chef's Table.

I guess it all balances out!

That is why I was so shocked as I expected the same thing … but just finished dinner at Restaurant and Marcel the wine guy made the meal … and the food was amazing … FYI my wife is saying we are going to give them another try so I will let you know how round 2 goes and we have a democracy and I have 1 vote and she has 2 😢

Viking Homelands - July 12, 2022

Our cruise has different stops than what is listed on Homelands web page.  In reading these posts, and talking to Viking...it seems that the itinerary stops on this cruise, depends on the date taken.  We recently lost Mariehamn, and added another town in Sweden - Karlskrona, which shows no shore excursions at all.  We now have a15 day cruise with 5  "not much to see/do days".  Two days of Oslo is a day and half too much.  (IMO), and wish they had scheduled 2 nights in Copenhagen instead.  Far more to see and do there.  

We were told by an earlier Viking rep, that the $250 each shipboard credit would be placed on our account as soon as shore excursions appeared, and could be used towards booking such.  We found that is not true.  We only receive the shipboard credit -- AFTER boarding.  That is another bummer as many excursions sell out in advance.  Apparently that gift offer, is one given with limited use and stipulations.

Even though we have air booked, we are considering bailing on this, and moving to Grand European river cruise instead.

6 minutes ago, milling73 said:

Our cruise has different stops than what is listed on Homelands web page.  In reading these posts, and talking to Viking...it seems that the itinerary stops on this cruise, depends on the date taken.  We recently lost Mariehamn, and added another town in Sweden - Karlskrona, which shows no shore excursions at all.  We now have a15 day cruise with 5  "not much to see/do days".  Two days of Oslo is a day and half too much.  (IMO), and wish they had scheduled 2 nights in Copenhagen instead.  Far more to see and do there.  

We were told by an earlier Viking rep, that the $250 each shipboard credit would be placed on our account as soon as shore excursions appeared, and could be used towards booking such.  We found that is not true.  We only receive the shipboard credit -- AFTER boarding.  That is another bummer as many excursions sell out in advance.  Apparently that gift offer, is one given with limited use and stipulations.

Even though we have air booked, we are considering bailing on this, and moving to Grand European river cruise instead.

Sorry you seem “bummed out” about two days in Oslo. Don’t know it if like art museums, but two new ones will be open (Munch and National Gallery). Interested in WWII?- the Resistance Museum is an awesome experience. The architecture of the new Opera House is amazing and it is a great place for a cup of coffee outside and walking on the roof of the theatre. Dining in Oslo has improved greatly in the past years. 

Edited by janetcbl
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, janetcbl said:

Sorry you seem “bummed out” about two days in Oslo. Don’t know it if like art museums, but two new ones will be open (Munch and National Gallery). Interested in WWII?- the Resistance Museum is an awesome experience. The architecture of the new Opera House is amazing and it is a great place for a cup of coffee outside and walking on the roof of the theatre. Dining in Oslo has improved greatly in the past years. 

Watch "The Heavy Water War".

• Like 2

Janetcbl -- All good suggestions, unfortunately we have been to Oslo and seen those things.  Once was enough.  One of more appealing aspects of the original Homelands (for us) was that it skipped Oslo - a truly lovely and upscale, business city, but, not nearly as fun to wander and observe as Copenhagen or Venice variety.  Again, all personal preferences.

7 hours ago, jrkear said:

What does SE mean?  We are going in September.  Can anyone talk about people with mobility issues?  Dealing with intense back pain and currently need a walker.  Going through therapy so hoping I won’t need it!

1 hour ago, Jimmyfan said:

What does SE mean?  We are going in September.  Can anyone talk about people with mobility issues?  Dealing with intense back pain and currently need a walker.  Going through therapy so hoping I won’t need it!

SE is Shore Excursion. Best of luck with therapy!

20 hours ago, milling73 said:

We took the Grand European river cruise last August and it was wonderful.  There were several stops that we had visited previously, but we signed up for other excursions or we explored on our own. It is a fabulous trip with with lots to see. 

Update on Oslo.

1 – It was a good stop not SPB, but fun.

2 – We didn’t do but everyone said ‘Behind Closed Doors at the Munch Museum’ was amazing.

3 – We did ‘Walk in Footsteps of Alfred Nobel’ it was ok not great at talking with others wish we would have done Munch instead.

4 – We did ‘Fram Museum and the Norwegian Maritime Museum’ the Fram Museum was amazing.

5 - Second day we did ’Full Day Classical” it was a very long day but well worth it.

6 – Something we didn’t do but wish we would have done was go to an Opera or Ballet at the Opera House.  I would highly recommend see if you can get tickets the night of you over night in Oslo as it is only a 5 to 10 minute walk.

• Like 4

JSS5200, I look forward to meeting you and your group.  We are also a group of three couples in the North Houston area.  Are you going on the Oslo pre-cruise extension by chance?

Arkie111, one of the couples in our group is doing the Oslo pre-cruise extension and taking the train to Bergen. My husband and I will be in Oslo on our own for 2 nights and then taking the train on our own to Flam, spending the night there, and doing a short fjord cruise before boarding the train again to Bergen. We will be there independently for 2 nights before we board the Jupiter. The other 2 couples in our group are also getting to Bergen on their own a couple of days before the cruise departs. Have you signed up for the roll call for the Jupiter? Some of our group are on there. We look forward to meeting y'all too!