Mardi Gras upgrade fairy called - should we pull the trigger?

noleguy84

We've been offered an Ocean Suite on deck 9 midship for about $500 total. The offered choice of rooms are only on deck 9 on either side ranging from above the pizza area on the starboard side, to the port side overlooking an uncovered lanai on deck 8 below. Some consider this an obstructed view because it is one deck above a public pathway near Rudi's Seagrill. We are currently booked in a regular balcony room with unobstructed views on the 11th deck, mid-ship. My wife and I are traveling with our two teenage daughters (15, 13) and I am concerned the regular sized balcony room may be too tight for all of us. I tried upgrading to an Ocean Suite upon booking, but long story short we couldn't without loosing our nearly $1300 in OBC we've built up since having this cruise cancelled several times.

Do you think it is worth sacrificing an unobstructed view in a regular sized balcony room on a higher deck for the Ocean Suite directly above a public walkway/lanai? It looks to be in a less traveled area of the ship after dinner but we have no way of knowing for sure. We do spend time on the balcony but with teenagers tagging along we wont utilize it as much as we normally would. I am leaning towards more space for piece of mind - it is a vacation after all. If anyone has stayed in a room directly above a potential busy deck I'll gladly listen to your thoughts as well. Thanks.

You would want the side above Rudi’s. Next to the pizza area is the outside smoking area which would make the balcony useless. Little to no traffic on the port side as there are no side doors on that side. 

• Like 1

4 people in a regular balcony sounds really tight...If you can afford it, the extra space will be really nice—extra sitting area, slightly larger bathroom and more closet space.  Definitely go for the Rudi side away from the smoking.  I took a similar offer and I’m over the Havana area (which I don’t mind).

• Like 1

We got offered close to the same offer last month on the Spa Deck. We already had a balcony in the inset and they offered an Ocean Suite right at $530. It was a good offer on any other ship but I don't like the balconies on the Ocean Suites on MG - you just do not have the privacy that you would expect for that cost. Since there were two of us, I turned it down.

But I am booked again Halloween and I'd love to upgrade on that one because we are going to be three adults in a regular balcony. I've sailed this ship twice already and those balcony cabins are darn skinny. I'm struggling with thinking of there being three of us in one cabin!

• Like 1

Thanks all - I called my PVP to ensure our OBC wouldn't get wiped. She confirmed it wouldn't and we decided to take the deal. Never stayed in a suite before so I'm pretty excited! I don't plan on telling the rest of my family until we get the luggage tags printed for boarding 🙂

• Like 4