X App payment functionality while on board?

5:00_Somewhere

We board the Reflection next week, and I just read that the X App will allow us to open our cabin doors with our phones, in addition to making dining reservations, tracking onboard charges, onboard chat, etc. Nice features, but new to me on Celebrity.

Our last cruise was on Princess with their Medallion and connected App, which has a wide range of functionality while on board, which includes taking the place of the former key/cruise card for purchases on board.

I read on another social media forum that the X App may also have this functionality, but can't find anything about it on the official website. Just thought I'd ask here for a definitive answer: can you use your phone and the X App to pay for things while on board a Celebrity ship, or do you still need a card?

Thanks for any info. 

App is not used to make charges against seapass account.  As others have said since the restart they generally ask for your room number and look it up to see if you have a package to avoid touching the card.   Other times you hold it up and they just look at it.   Their POS system readers are RFID, not Bluetooth.

• Like 1

Thank you. That is consistent with our experience on the Summit last August, but have been reading about more functionality on the app, so thought I'd ask. Appreciate the first-hand info. 👍

As an aside, I do have to say, despite some glitches with the Princess Medallion app pre-embarkation, once on board it was pretty flawless. Didn't even have to take it out of my pocket to have it unlock the cabin door or for crew to be able to identify us for charges,  food & beverage orders, etc.