Question about boarding-- Carnival (out of New orleans)

I have a question about boarding process -- how do i go about getting wheelchair assistance getting on and off the ship? I have been having some problems with walking for anything other than short distances and standing in the check in/out  line without having to sit down and let me back/hip rest a min. I will be fine on the ship as there are many places to rest when needed so I do not think a scooter is needed nor a wheelchair.  Just need it to get up and down the ramp. I am so embarrassed just having to ask as i'm fairly young still and do not want to be looked at like i'm just lazy and fat and trying to not walk myself. Do i need to call and arrange it prior to boarding or just ask once i get to the terminal.  thanks in advance for the help.

Edited by CCLuvsCruising

• CCLuvsCruising changed the title to Question about boarding-- Carnival (out of New orleans)

I assume you talking about needing a wheelchair when embarking (first day) and disembarking (last day).

Wheelchairs are not provided by the ship for getting off and on the ship at ports.  Tips are always appreciated by the wheelchair pushers.  (You may actually have two wheelchair pushers, the first one might be an employee of the port and the final one would be an actual Carnival employee.)  

No one will be looking at you using a wheelchair.   There are many, many passengers who use them - even if it's just for embarking and disembarking.

I would first contact Carnival's Access Team and advise them you will need a wheelchair for embarking and disembarking.   They will probably tell you to notify a representative at the pier but it is a good idea to touch base with the Access Team.  Their contact info is:  1-800-438-6744 ext.70025  or

access@carnival.com

And this is direct from Carnival's website:

Each terminal has a limited supply of wheelchairs used to transport guests onto and off the ship, so we are unable to loan you our wheelchairs for the duration of the cruise. If you need wheelchair assistance for boarding the ship, please contact one of our representatives once you arrive at the cruise terminal. Assistance will be provided on a first-come, first-served basis. For assistance with debarkation, instructions on where to meet can be found in the Fun Times onboard newsletter distributed on the last evening of your cruise. 

Edited by kokopelli-az