Questions... Children, Formal Dress, Smoking, more???

joseph123

On 5/4/2022 at 5:19 PM, fizzy said:

I know that one company is called  "rent the runway"

So decide to go this direction. Given that there is a coupon for first 2 months, this made the most sense. As someone who unfortunately changes sizes more frequently than cruises, this offered the most flexibility. I, personally, cannot make my partner dress up and not feel equally "uncomfortable" (haha). As someone who is not quite satisfied in my current "skin", the rental offers the opportunity to be ok with where I am, rather than thinking about that dress 5 years ago, pre pandemic working in the ICU weight. (of course no excuse to neglect one's own health needs).(please forgive the run-on). If my prior comments have been triggering for anyone, I apologize. I am an over-thinker and over-processor by both nature and profession.

• Like 2

Please believe me that the following are serious questions about the dress code since I have not sailed on Silversea since July 1997 - Silver Cloud from Barcelona to Genoa.  

1.  The first question is asked because several years ago on Oceania the Maitre D' pulled me aside and said that my shoes were not appropriate - and this was not a formal night.  They were all black but had thick rubber soles.  My 'go to' black shoes are now very understated black mesh with thin black rubber soles because of their light weight.  Would these shoes cause any problem on any night?

2.  On a Silversea Alaska cruise that I am considering I am not sure that only being able to choose between the chilly outdoor pool grill or my suite on formal night would be much of a choice.  Is La Terrazza not open for those who do not want to dress formally?

3.  On nights that require a dark suit is it proper to wear a blue or tan shirt with a checked design and tie or would I be feel more appropiate  in a white shirt for those informal nights?

After two times that my luggage was lost when I arrived at the destination airport  (thank you Delta and AA) I now only travel with a rollaboard and small backpack that can be carried onto the plane.  This does limit my clothing selection but at least it is one less worry which came home to roost last week.  My 20 day cruise was cancelled after the sixth day because of insufficient staff due to a rapid spread of positive Covid tests among the crew.  It made self-debarkation in Cabo San Lucas (a tender port)  much easier.  Yes, times are changing and some things may never go back to how they were before this pandemic.

1 hour ago, amusea said:

Please believe me that the following are serious questions about the dress code since I have not sailed on Silversea since July 1997 - Silver Cloud from Barcelona to Genoa.  

On a Silversea Alaska cruise that I am considering I am not sure that only being able to choose between the chilly outdoor pool grill or my suite on formal night would be much of a choice.  Is La Terrazza not open for those who do not want to dress formally?

All Alaskan voyages are formal optional.  Dress smartly, dine wherever you like on a formal night on an Alaskan voyage.

1 hour ago, amusea said:

1.  The first question is asked because several years ago on Oceania the Maitre D' pulled me aside and said that my shoes were not appropriate - and this was not a formal night.  They were all black but had thick rubber soles.  My 'go to' black shoes are now very understated black mesh with thin black rubber soles because of their light weight.  Would these shoes cause any problem on any night?

I'll leave your latter questions to others. Because of very severe feet problems by partner wore alternating pairs of Nike all black sneakers with thick soles for an entire world cruise in 2019, formal, informal and casual nights.  No one commented or sent him to his room. You will have no problem.