Stockholm and Oslo - what are the best areas to stay in?

Hello all!

We made a lot of changes to our upcoming travels to Europe and after spending some days in Copenhagen, we're renting a car and visiting Stockholm and Oslo. I'm looking at lodging and have no idea what areas of either city is the best or most centrally located areas to stay in? We will probably do some sort of airbnb, but I'm open to options if anyone wants to share. 🙂

The other issue I have is traveling time. In looking at maps, I'm thinking we can go from Copenhagen to Stockholm in one day with a long drive, but maybe there are places along the way that we should stop and visit. Same with the trip from Stockholm to Oslo.

Any tips and ideas would be really helpful for us. There are 4 of us which is why we decided to rent a car instead of trains.

Thanks in advance.

We're going to stay in Skepspholmen.  I realize it's a bit isolated, despite being centrally-located because of the island structure.  Does Stockholm do Uber, or are taxis the way to get around?  Public transport is an option if it's easy and accessibility--husband's mobility is limited.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

3 hours ago, Desdichado62 said:

Yes Taxis are available (Taxi Stockholm and Taxi Kurur/SverigeTaxi). Public transport is extensive and has a high level of accessibility.

https://sl.se/en/in-english

https://sl.se/en/in-english/getting-around/transport-accessibility

Sorry, didn't mean to imply there were not taxis, of courses.  I was really asking about Uber since some cities don't allow it.

16 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Sorry, didn't mean to imply there were not taxis, of courses.  I was really asking about Uber since some cities don't allow it.

I misread your question. ûber exists but I'd stick to certified taxis (yellow license plates) like those I mentioned.

Edited by Desdichado62
  • Like 1

On 3/22/2022 at 2:08 AM, Radbooks said:

I'm looking at lodging and have no idea what areas of either city is the best or most centrally located areas to stay in?

The other issue I have is traveling time. In looking at maps, I'm thinking we can go from Copenhagen to Stockholm in one day with a long drive, but maybe there are places along the way that we should stop and visit. Same with the trip from Stockholm to Oslo.

Any tips and ideas would be really helpful for us. There are 4 of us which is why we decided to rent a car instead of trains.

For Stockholm, consider Södermalm or Gamla Stan. Skeppsholmen can work but is not that central, the same with Djurgården.

Regarding travel time, yes you can drive from Copenhagen to Stockholm in a day. But if you just want to get to Stockholm as fast as possible, take the train.

23 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

We're going to stay in Skepspholmen.  I realize it's a bit isolated, despite being centrally-located because of the island structure.  Does Stockholm do Uber, or are taxis the way to get around?  Public transport is an option if it's easy and accessibility--husband's mobility is limited.

Using public transport should not be a problem.

Edited by Apel
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Desdichado62 said:

If you want something more then 8 hours on a freeway then just follow the E4 route but my suggestion would be something like this but you would probably need 2-3 days to do it since it would be many nice stops along the way.

Too late for edit, what I really was supposed to write was that if you just want 7-8 hours on a freeway then take the E4 route, but if you want something more scenic follow the suggested route.

• Like 1