Noise in Club Balcony Suite on NCL Jade

PetrosZA

So this will be our 3rd cruise with NCL and normally we go for a balcony stateroom. Currently booked on Jade out of Athens on the 7th Aug and when booking we saw that the Club Balcony Suite's were about the same price as a standard balcony and so we booked cabin #11048 as we thought if would be nice to have a little more space that the Clubs offer.

At the time I saw that these cabins are directly below an active deck so I chose #11048 which is under the pool deck as opposed to under any kids area or anything like that to try and minimise the risk of any noise.

I'm now a it stressed that it might have been a bad decision and it will be really noisy.  Anyone else have any experience with the club balcony suites on deck 11 of Jade or stateroom 11048 in particular?

Edited by PetrosZA

While I have not stayed in this room on the Jade, I did have the experience of staying in a cabin one floor below the pool deck on the Pride of America.  If you like to sleep in the morning, this isn’t the right cabin for you as the pool deck staff put out the deck chairs every morning and there is a lot of banging and scraping of chairs.  It woke us up and kept us awake every day.  Since then we do not book cabins below the pool decks.  The best tip for booking a cabin is to book a room surrounded by cabins.  A cabin above you, below you and beside you.

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@YVRteacher is correct.

Also, we avoid booking the Club Balcony rooms on the Jewel class ships (Jewel, Jade, Pearl and Gem) for this reason and also the bathroom - they have bathtubs instead of walk-in showers. I have read that the bathtubs are high-edged and not suitable for the older folks and mobility challenged.

Normal Balcony cabins and Oceanview are fine.

5 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

@YVRteacher is correct.

Also, we avoid booking the Club Balcony rooms on the Jewel class ships (Jewel, Jade, Pearl and Gem) for this reason and also the bathroom - they have bathtubs instead of walk-in showers. I have read that the bathtubs are high-edged and not suitable for the older folks and mobility challenged.

Normal Balcony cabins and Oceanview are fine.

Bath tubs have recently been removed on the Jewel. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

While I have not stayed in this room on the Jade, I did have the experience of staying in a cabin one floor below the pool deck on the Pride of America.  If you like to sleep in the morning, this isn’t the right cabin for you as the pool deck staff put out the deck chairs every morning and there is a lot of banging and scraping of chairs.  It woke us up and kept us awake every day.  Since then we do not book cabins below the pool decks.  The best tip for booking a cabin is to book a room surrounded by cabins.  A cabin above you, below you and beside you.

thanks appreciate the feedback. Unfortunately we don’t have the option of booking a room surrounded by cabins as all the Club Balcony Suites on Jade are on deck 11 with the active deck above. I’m now seriously considering “downgrading” to a standard balcony room on a lower deck for this reason. Not sure NCL would allow this at this stage though 

3 minutes ago, janice2348 said:

I am in cabin 11570 which is under the splash academy.  I think we’ll be ok. Can you move cabins?

think I’ll give NCL a call and ask the question

If you are able to move then there are some areas that are better.

if you can get one further forward, where they are mixed with the 2 bed suites then you have things like the card room or library above you.

Alternatively I would also consider the rooms under the buffet or La Cucina. I believe that you don’t hear much from

them. Avoid the galley area though (forward of where La Cucina is on the port side, as I have heard tales of noise coming from there.

15 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

If you are able to move then there are some areas that are better.

if you can get one further forward, where they are mixed with the 2 bed suites then you have things like the card room or library above you.

Alternatively I would also consider the rooms under the buffet or La Cucina. I believe that you don’t hear much from

them. Avoid the galley area though (forward of where La Cucina is on the port side, as I have heard tales of noise coming from there.

thanks very much, that’s a really useful reply! Unfortunately nothing available further forward under the card room etc but I see if I do a mock booking online then 11102 is available which looks like under the buffet, so I’ll give them a call and see if I can move - cheers

A few years ago, I was in #11152  on the Gem which was an aft club balcony. Unfortunately it was under The Great Outdoors. I had no problem the first night, but the second and third nights were horrendous. I complained at the Front Desk and they told me that cleaning takes place there every night. They were able to move me to #11052, another club suite, which was actually more spacious than the aft balcony. I was concerned that because it was under the pool area, it too would be noisy. But it was not, and I think that's because it was under the chair/table area on the side of the deck, and not the lounge area.

So I gave NCL here in the UK a call this morning and the agent looked up the availability on my sailing and moved me all the way forward into a stateroom that has the Spa above so should be a lot quieter than where I was booked before. All in all took about 5 mins and was a pretty painless process. Thought I’d enquire about flights whilst I had him on the phone and he managed to get me into and out of Athens from London Heathrow for a lot cheaper than doing it myself. Really really impressed overall. Bravo NCL!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, PetrosZA said:

thanks appreciate the feedback. Unfortunately we don’t have the option of booking a room surrounded by cabins as all the Club Balcony Suites on Jade are on deck 11 with the active deck above. I’m now seriously considering “downgrading” to a standard balcony room on a lower deck for this reason. Not sure NCL would allow this at this stage though 

I booked a cruise on the Pearl and decided to go with a regular balcony because those were the only ones available that had cabins above and below me. I rather have a smaller cabin with less noise.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Andoria said:

I booked a cruise on the Pearl and decided to go with a regular balcony because those were the only ones available that had cabins above and below me. I rather have a smaller cabin with less noise.

That is a good conclusion to reach on the Jewel class ships.

The main benefit, for me, of having a mini suite on these ships is that the sofa bed doesn't block the balcony in a mini suite. If you have younger kids then this can be a factor, and for that reason we used to prefer mini suites on those ships. Now our son is older so it will either just be the two of us, or he won't be in bed early, a balcony is our preference as it is easier to find a quieter one.

8 hours ago, PetrosZA said:

So I gave NCL here in the UK a call this morning and the agent looked up the availability on my sailing and moved me all the way forward into a stateroom that has the Spa above so should be a lot quieter than where I was booked before. All in all took about 5 mins and was a pretty painless process. Thought I’d enquire about flights whilst I had him on the phone and he managed to get me into and out of Athens from London Heathrow for a lot cheaper than doing it myself. Really really impressed overall. Bravo NCL!

That’s great!