Help. We have a TA scheduled (and paid for) at the end of this month - and our 3rd person just had a mother/medical crisis.

tuxala

11 minutes ago, cherylandtk said:

What are their losses? I see none unless they voluntarily paid the third person the fare difference, which is not an insurable event.

Assuming the 3rd person cancels, aren't the other two expected to pay more?  (I thought it was as if NCL collects double... keeping the 3rd fare and then charging more.  Or is that only when there are 2 passengers and one cancels?)

GC

4 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Assuming the 3rd person cancels, aren't the other two expected to pay more?  (I thought it was as if NCL collects double... keeping the 3rd fare and then charging more.  Or is that only when there are 2 passengers and one cancels?)

GC

You got it in two 😉. When there are three people in a cabin the first two pay full fare and the third pays a reduced fare (usually).  When the third person cancels, there is no revised fare for the first two, unlike what happens when one person out of two has to cancel.

Just now, cherylandtk said:

You got it in two 😉. When there are three people in a cabin the first two pay full fare and the third pays a reduced fare (usually).  When the third person cancels, there is no revised fare for the first two, unlike what happens when one person out of two has to cancel.

Ah, got it.  Makes sense (not that that's required, ahem!).

Thanks!

GC

7 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

If you haven't yet checked out the CC roll call for this cruise, please do. 

Hiya.

I have been following the sign-up process on CC and it seems to be a bit convoluted. I think my spouse has worked it out via the Book of the Face. So we'll be there.

😎

td

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2022 at 11:58 AM, The Traveling Man said:

are able to join us in New York on the 24th

Yes we will be there. Our house sitters arrive tomorrow and we fly to Newark on Saturday. We did sign up for the M&G on the book of the face. Looking forward to meeting folks.

td

• Like 1

Very similar situation happened to my wife, sister-in-law (SIL), and I in 2018.  Three of us booked a Haven cabin and after the full payment date with a couple weeks before the cruise, the SIL had a medical emergency.  Luckily, we had done 2 things that helped us: (1) we had insured the cruise at full price (3rd party insurance company) and (2) our NCL invoice specifically itemized that we each had paid a third of the total cruise costs.  After talking with our insurance company, my wife and I continued on the cruise with no additional costs from NCL and my SIL was completely reimbursed for her third of the trip.  The itemized invoice payments definitely helped, but the insurance worked exactly like it should have.  Granted, my SIL did have to get letters from her doctor and our travel agent, but overall the process went smoothly for us.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Georgia Breeze said:

Very similar situation happened to my wife, sister-in-law (SIL), and I in 2018.  Three of us booked a Haven cabin and after the full payment date with a couple weeks before the cruise, the SIL had a medical emergency.  Luckily, we had done 2 things that helped us: (1) we had insured the cruise at full price (3rd party insurance company) and (2) our NCL invoice specifically itemized that we each had paid a third of the total cruise costs.  After talking with our insurance company, my wife and I continued on the cruise with no additional costs from NCL and my SIL was completely reimbursed for her third of the trip.  The itemized invoice payments definitely helped, but the insurance worked exactly like it should have.  Granted, my SIL did have to get letters from her doctor and our travel agent, but overall the process went smoothly for us.

[emphasis added above]

Glad that this worked for you, and also for tuxala [have a great trip!].

Did you have to ask NCL specifically to write the invoice for each of 3 passengers for 1/3, 1/3, 1/3?  We've always seen the paperwork show regular price for the first two passengers and then a very small amount for the 3rd (or 4th/etc.).  We've got one like that now for a 2BR Haven suite next year.

I assume this would help IF just one needed to cancel, in terms of the insurance "understanding" that the first two weren't paying almost everything, with the third seemingly getting an almost free ride.  

If three friends are going, for example, and are divvying up the money into thirds, but the invoice shows only two paid most of the cost... then if the third one cancels, the insurance might *not* cover 1/3 of the total cost, because that's NOT what the invoice shows the third person paid.

This is the issue I was wondering about in the exchange with cherylandtk above... it's not the NCL billing/payment; it's the insurance reimbursement.  How do you get an invoice showing 3 equal payments?

Thanks!

GC

• Like 1

On 4/20/2022 at 5:06 AM, GeezerCouple said:

Did you have to ask NCL specifically to write the invoice for each of 3 passengers for 1/3, 1/3, 1/3?  We've always seen the paperwork show regular price for the first two passengers and then a very small amount for the 3rd (or 4th/etc.).  We've got one like that now for a 2BR Haven suite next year.

We asked our travel agent to make sure that the invoice had our individual payments clearly shown.  Even though the invoice did show the 1st two passengers at regular price and the 3rd at low cost, because the full payment was split equally on three different credit cards listed in the invoice, the insurance company could clearly see the basis of the trip coverage for each person and gave us no problems paying off.

1 minute ago, Georgia Breeze said:

We asked our travel agent to make sure that the invoice had our individual payments clearly shown.  Even though the invoice did show the 1st two passengers at regular price and the 3rd at low cost, because the full payment was split equally on three different credit cards listed in the invoice, the insurance company could clearly see the basis of the trip coverage for each person and gave us no problems paying off.

Ah...  Showing the three equal credit cards payments is terrific.  Good to know!

I wonder how it would have worked if one person had paid, and then gotten reimbursed by the others.  If the one cancelling was the "low priced third", that may have been a lot harder.

We sometimes take family with us, and we pay for it all, but the invoice shows the two of us charged the 1st and 2nd person price, and the others much less.  Maybe we should think more about this.  Thus far, the our thinking has been (and the insurance planned) that if one of us got sick/etc., none of us would go, as the entire point is to spend "quality time together", etc.  But having the pricing (or charge card receipts) showing the adults all paying equal amounts might be a good idea for flexibility.

Thanks very much.

GC