First time using cruise air - need advice

junglejane

We're new to NCL and also new to using cruise air. We're booked on the NCL Pearl 9/2 Canada/NE that starts in Boston and ends in Quebec. Final payment is due May 5. We booked when there was a BOGO air promotion for $349. We would want to fly in early to Boston and stay extra days in Quebec. It looks to me like this can be done by paying a fee for an air deviation, but the maximum deviation is 2 days on both ends. What I don't understand is how and when this happens. Do I take care of this before final payment or after? Does my TA add in the extra air deviation fee? Do I have any input on the flights or are they just assigned?

I'd appreciate any advice and tips about the cruise air. I like my TA but she has a lot more experience with Princess than NCL.

Your TA or you will need to contact NCL directly and make the modification prior to final payment date.  I don't believe that NCL will offer transfers for date deviations and as such, will cancel the transfer costs.  Those cancelled transfer costs basically will offset the fee charged for the deviation.  

You will have no input in terms of carrier, departure times or connections for your flights.  Dependent on the airline and your frequent flyer status with them, you should be able to select/pay for your seats and luggage fees.  

• Thanks 1

I had the same question earlier this week for an Alaskan cruise I have booked.  According to my TA the deviation is up to 2 days before and after and there was no charge to make that change.   I originally thought there was a charge but he said no, just let him know what we want to do and he will make the change.   It must be done in advance.   Once the tickets are booked you are SOL for changes from my understanding...   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, junglejane said:

It looks to me like this can be done by paying a fee for an air deviation,

No fee, actually a CREDIT!

"'Deviation requests up to 2 days pre/post cruise will be credited $25 USD per person per deviation"

Per the promo terms and conditions - https://www.ncl.com/termsandconditions/promotions

Yes, maximum 2 days on each end, if you want more time after the cruise you could always just book one-way for going to the cruise and book your own return flights.

Also from the linked T&C's (I HIGHLY suggest you read these as they cover your questions) - 

"Guests may request a one-way air itinerary; in which case they will be charged 50% of the applicable promotional air pricing for the selected gateway."

You need to request the deviation(s) no later than 75 days before the sailing.  Your TA would take care of all of this, NCL won't talk to you directly if your reservation is linked to a TA.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@hallux Thanks very much for pointing me to the T&C. Very helpful, and I had not found those before. Under the heading "Deviation Requests" it says "Secondary land package must be selected" but also "Hotel add-on is not required for deviation request to apply." I'm confused by that. What is the secondary land package if it is not a hotel add-on? (We'd prefer to book our own hotels.)

Also thanks for the tip about using the promo one way. We may do that.

2 minutes ago, junglejane said:

Under the heading "Deviation Requests" it says "Secondary land package must be selected" but also "Hotel add-on is not required for deviation request to apply." I'm confused by that.

Yes, that part is confusing to me as well.  I did a deviation on my NCL-booked airfare in 2019 (just going one day early) and was not required to book my hotel through NCL.  In fact - I booked it myself, not even through the TA that booked the cruise for me.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
11 hours ago, wardwlw said:

We are looking forward to this cruise.  We are staying over one night in Quebec City to sightsee.  Suggestions?

Wade and Linda Ward

Summerfield, FL

If you are using NCL Air, be aware that they will route you out of Montreal, and if you’re staying overnight in Quebec you will be on your own to get to the Montreal airport. 

• 4 weeks later...

Regarding deviations,  does " Secondary land package must be selected"  mean we are required to take an NCL excursion at the location where the deviation is requested? 

Was anyone who added 2 days deviation required to take an NCL excursion? 

(This assumes of course that excursions were offered at that port, as they are in Rome at the end of our Mediterranean cruise. )

We don't want to take NCL's excursions in Rome, however we want to stay 2 extra days.  

14 minutes ago, LGinPA said:

Regarding deviations,  does " Secondary land package must be selected"  mean we are required to take an NCL excursion at the location where the deviation is requested? 

I'm not exactly sure what that means.  When I used the promotional airfare in 2019 all I took was the flights and the ground transfer from/to the airport in LA.  I booked my own hotel and did my own touring.

1 hour ago, hallux said:

I'm not exactly sure what that means.  When I used the promotional airfare in 2019 all I took was the flights and the ground transfer from/to the airport in LA.  I booked my own hotel and did my own touring.

As another poster mentioned, not only is  "Secondary land package must be selected." a clause of deviations, but it also says "Hotel add-on is not required for deviation request to apply."

The latter is clear, but the "land package must be selected" part is not.  I'm calling my PCC to clarify.

I just spoke with my NCL PCC about deviations and the "Secondary land package must be selected" clause that's in the T&Cs, and he didn't understand that.  He said there are a few choices. 

If we wanted a land package he'd send me to the shore excursion department. 

But if we didn't want a complete land package, then they'd allow up to  a 2 day flight deviation, and we'd need to arrange our own hotel, and that NCL transfers would not be used on the end(s) of the cruise with the deviation.  This is exactly what we want, and don't need to concerned about a "land package".

That's what I get for reading ALL the Terms & Conditions!  😆

Edited by LGinPA
grammar