Princess Cruise Tour: Heart of the Rockies

Hello, we are looking into booking this cruise tour in June 2023.  Has anyone taken this tour with Princess?  Hubby is a train buff and really wants to travel on the Rocky Mountaineer.  The cruise tour is more expensive than DIY (I priced it—about $2000 more) but it includes meals and some excursions.  I don’t mind DIYing but DH wants to just get on a tour for once and let someone else deal with logistics and luggage!  We also like that the tour includes stays at the different park Fairmont Hotels.  

https://www.princess.com/search-cruise/details/?voyageCode=8317&resType=T&tourCode=T3A01A

Interested in any thoughts before we book.  Also, trying to decide whether we need to explore Calgary before the cruise tour.

TIA!

I can help you a bit even though I haven't taken this particular  tour.  First off, where are you from?  Is this your first time coming to the Rockies?  The only time, perhaps?  And when you say DIY is $2000 less, are you looking at doing the RM on your own?  Or are you comparing it with driving on your own?

If you're talking about driving on your own, then I wouldn't recommend it.  Some of the driving is very challenging due to the mountainous roads and ongoing construction.  The driver will have to concentrate on driving safely and not sightseeing which doesn't allow the driver to experience the Rockies.  As mentioned, there appears to be significant ongoing construction between Kamloops and the Alberta border so you could expect delays enroute.

I highly recommend the Rocky Mountaineer!  Except your tour description indicates SilverLeaf class and I recommend upgrading (if you can and budget allows) to Gold Leaf (which is even more expensive!).  But if you can't, SilverLeaf will be just fine, too.  You can book the RM on your own and get the same or similar tour.  I suspect that entire pre cruise tour will be operated by RM/Brewster.  I have to agree with your husband; there's nothing like being taken care of, particularly with the luggage schlepping!  If you book the RM on your own, you could even do a circle tour which would start and end in Vancouver.

I've only experienced GoldLeaf but was told of some of the differences between Gold and Silver.  Gold gets you into the dome car which alone is worth the price difference.  There is a outdoor platform at the back where one can take pics without any reflections from the windows.  Silver has large windows but it's not as nice as in the Gold cars.  Gold has a dining room where you take your meals; Silver patrons are served at their seat.  Gold gets a choice of five entrees whereas Silver gets a choice of two entrees.  I believe liquor is free to all.  (There were some tipsy people on our tour!)  Gold has better seats that are adjustable, heated if you need it (can come in handy if you're out on the back platform as it gets rather cool and windy there!).  

Lunch on the RM is substantial; consider it your main meal of the day.  Breakfast is fairly substantial too.  Since your tour description indicates a continental breakfast, I guess that's another difference between Silver and Gold.  You'll find the train days are long and you will likely only need a light dinner if you need anything at all.  We did a three day RM tour last year and only shared nachos between three of us for dinner one evening (and only because it had been about 8 hours since lunch that day)

I do recommend staying for a day or two in Calgary.  Just so you know, the Calgary Stampede (the greatest outdoor show on earth!) is on in July.  In 2023, it will be July 7 - 16/23.  If that is of interest to you, you might want to delay your trip by a few weeks or do it in reverse (if that's even possible).

I'll try to do some research to find other reviews and videos of the RM.  There were a few of us Canadians who took the opportunity last year to do the RM because we couldn't leave the country.  If you have any other questions, I'll be happy to answer what I can.