Cork/Cobh Ireland

qm2lover

Hi Everyone,

We are going to Cork via Cobh on Royal Caribbean at end of April and are looking for ideas. We have seen the Titanic Museum and will try to do that again. But what else is there? What are the must sees and must dos? And what is the best way to do them? What is the best way to Cork from Cobh? How much? etc. etc.

We are a family of four and I believe we will have nearly two days here.

Any ideas.

Thanks in anticipation

Heather

Hi Everyone,

We are going to Cork via Cobh on Royal Caribbean at end of April and are looking for ideas. We have seen the Titanic Museum and will try to do that again. But what else is there? What are the must sees and must dos? And what is the best way to do them? What is the best way to Cork from Cobh? How much? etc. etc.

We are a family of four and I believe we will have nearly two days here.

Any ideas.

Thanks in anticipation

Heather

I just like walking all over Cobn,but then that's me.However,if the ship does not have a shuttle into Cork you can take the train from Cobn to the city center of Cork..the train runs all day. It is about 15 miles.There is some good shopping on Patrick Street.There is also Blarney Castle to visit and the store there is really good to shop in as well as some great Irish coffee.Really nice city to explore.You could do a tour of lake Killarney or go to Kinsdale if you wanted to get out in the country.Just some thoughts..maybe some other's will have some other ideas for you.Enjoy your cruise.

Karen: do you know how often the train from Cobh to Cork runs? Also, is the train station convenient to the port?

We like to take the train over taxi's of possible. We will be in Cobh/Cork in Sept.

The train station is right at the port...anyone can direct you.The trains run all day,but I have no idea now of the times,but the schedule is posted at the station.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Thanks cberge for the ideas and information. Think we will try for the train into Cork and bus to the castle.

We will be there on the Sunday and Bank Holiday Monday, so hope there will still be frequent busses and trains.

Many Thanks

Hi

Thanks cberge for the ideas and information. Think we will try for the train into Cork and bus to the castle.

We will be there on the Sunday and Bank Holiday Monday, so hope there will still be frequent busses and trains.

Many Thanks

Just saw your post...I am guessing the trains will be on the Sunday/Holiday schedule so make sure to check.Was on Guernsey for Bank Holiday one year and all was closed with few exceptions of some small places to eat so just be aware of this.

In researching I found the train schedule and also found a bus schedule from Cobh to Cork and a bus to Blarney. Does anyone know if Cobh Cross and/or Cobh Junction are near the center of Cobh? Thanks.

The train station is very near to where we docked on the Maasdam last August. Since we'd been to Cork before, we walked around Cobh, visited the Titanic exhibition and the cathedral that dominates the city. and also took a boat tour of the harbor.

We learned that Cobh is pronounced " Cove" - but a fomer Dubliner told us he pronounces it Cob H.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. Loved your review and photos.

Unfortunately I do not think we will be able to get a reasonably priced tour of this beautiful area as we are ony 4 people and as the cruise is only 4 days we will not have the chance to get to know others to encourage them to share with us!!

Thanks to the others who have helped, especailly cberge with information on St. Peters Port.

Any one going on the this RCCL cruise on Legend of the Seas on April 28 ?

Many thanks

Heather

Karen: do you know how often the train from Cobh to Cork runs? Also, is the train station convenient to the port?

We like to take the train over taxi's of possible. We will be in Cobh/Cork in Sept.

Grace,

Here's a map I found of cobh:

http://www.johnthemap.co.uk/pages/cork/cobh.html

Looks like a lovely town to explore!

and here is Cork:

http://www.johnthemap.co.uk/pages/cork/cork_city.html

Can't wait for our cruise!

Judy: thanks so much for these wonderful web sites for the maps. I wish I could print them out, but my computer will not allow me to do this. (firewall?)

I am going to dig into my travel files and see if I have a map of these places, that we previously visited years ago. I usually try and save these, but we did have a relocation since then and I may have pitched them.

I envy you with the wonderful B2B you are doing. I would have loved to do this, but we will celebrate our 50th on the 26th of August with the family and many friends.

Looks like the train station is not too far from the pier. We enjoyed the Heritage Center too, next to the station.

Grace,

Congratulations on 50 wonderful years of marriage!

I'm really excited about the b2b! Also posted Dublin maps on the current thread.

Maybe you can save the maps to your computer and print them out later. I've saved them only.

• 5 years later...

Archived