Certificate of Recovery

On 4/24/2022 at 9:11 PM, SNemeth said:

I had covid at the end of January and my husband had it at the end of February.  We both had positive PCR test results from a hospital.  My sister is a Family Nurse Practitioner and wrote us letters to accompany the test results.  The letters stated the date we tested positive, the dates of our quarantines and the date that were considered fully recovered.  We used them to board Independence in Port Canaveral on 4/4.  The process was a little different than people boarding with a test (our children boarded with Emed rapid tests).  When we lined up outside the terminal and before being let into the building each person had to present their vaccination card and negative test.  As we were boarding with a certificate of recovery,  we were given a sticker to put on our shirt and we were told to wear it until we boarded the ship.  When checking in we each presented our positive test and letter.  Another gentleman was called over to verify the documents and then they had to take pictures and upload them into their system.  It was a little more involved than boarding with a test,  but I assume that is because we would be exempt from testing and quarantine if exposed onboard so they needed copies of everything.  I packed Emed tests in my backpack so if we were turned away we would be able to go find a place to do the Emed test, but everything went through just fine.  

Thank you so much for this information! 

8 hours ago, bladeguy1308 said:

Is there a specific time that the certificate of recovery needs to be dated in relation to your cruise? A member of our party tested positive a few weeks ago(within 90 days of cruise) and our cruise is may 29th so we are approx 33-34 days away. Can we get the cert now?

From what I’ve read the positive pcr is the important piece. If they had a positive pcr back then, they should be able to contact their doctor now for the certificate. 

If I have to board with the positive pcr and certificate of recovery, I’ll let everyone know how it goes.

On 4/24/2022 at 9:11 PM, SNemeth said:

I had covid at the end of January and my husband had it at the end of February.  We both had positive PCR test results from a hospital.  My sister is a Family Nurse Practitioner and wrote us letters to accompany the test results.  The letters stated the date we tested positive, the dates of our quarantines and the date that were considered fully recovered.  We used them to board Independence in Port Canaveral on 4/4.  The process was a little different than people boarding with a test (our children boarded with Emed rapid tests).  When we lined up outside the terminal and before being let into the building each person had to present their vaccination card and negative test.  As we were boarding with a certificate of recovery,  we were given a sticker to put on our shirt and we were told to wear it until we boarded the ship.  When checking in we each presented our positive test and letter.  Another gentleman was called over to verify the documents and then they had to take pictures and upload them into their system.  It was a little more involved than boarding with a test,  but I assume that is because we would be exempt from testing and quarantine if exposed onboard so they needed copies of everything.  I packed Emed tests in my backpack so if we were turned away we would be able to go find a place to do the Emed test, but everything went through just fine.  

Thank you for the information !  We too got Covid first of the month and have our PCR tests and Recovery letter from your health dept to use in Vancouver for our Alaska cruise next month.  You have put my mind to ease that it will go well at check in - I plan on bring Emed test too just in case. 

I don't understand that rationalization for being allowed to cruise with a positive test and a recovery letter.  I'm not trying to start an argument, and I'm glad that this is an option, but I just don't understand "the science" here.  It seems to me that if you are totally asymptomatic but test positive, you are considered a "spreader" and won't be allowed on the ship and are required to quarantine.  But if you recently had COVID and are now recovered (i.e. asymptomatic), but still testing positive, you are not spreading the virus?   If the test detects the virus, then aren't you carrying it and could spread it?  Or is the positive test result a false-positive?  If so, then shouldn't there be an option for people who test positive but are totally asymptomatic, like the ability to take a second test?  Again, not wanting to start anything, I'm just curious why it's this way!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rudeney said:

Again, not wanting to start anything, I'm just curious why it's this way!

The assumption is that the recovery letter the doc gives you provides some assurance that you are no longer shedding the virus.

8 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The assumption is that the recovery letter the doc gives you provides some assurance that you are no longer shedding the virus.

I guess that's what puzzles me.  If the test shows you are still positive, why would you not be shedding virus just because you are recovered?  We have been told for years now that asymptomatic people can transmit the virus and that's the reason we've had to take precautions (stay home, masks, distancing) even when we felt fine.  I was just wondering if there was a difference in transmitting COVID post-recovery.   

One thing I did consider of is that if you are recovered but still testing positive, then at least they know you won't get sick again while on the cruise, but if you are positive and did not just recover, you could be a few days from symptoms and be sick on the ship.  If that's the case, then the role of testing seems be preventing infected buy asymptomatic passengers from becoming sick on the ship and not trying to keep COVID off the ship. 

Again, I'm not arguing, just discussing to try to gain more knowledge.  I understand this is CDC and/or RCI policy and it is what it is, so I will comply in order to cruise.  And I don't live in fear of COVID, so the policy will not change my desire to cruise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rudeney said:

If the test shows you are still positive, why would you not be shedding virus just because you are recovered? 

But you're only positive, maybe, on the PCR test - very likely you are negative on the antigen test, hence why you can avoid the whole issue of getting a recovery letter because the negative antigen test will get you on the ship.

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

But you're only positive, maybe, on the PCR test - very likely you are negative on the antigen test, hence why you can avoid the whole issue of getting a recovery letter because the negative antigen test will get you on the ship.

I guess the moral to this is "get the antigen test, not the PCR/NAAT".   If testing is still required for our October cruise, I'll order us some at-home proctored antigen tests.

4 hours ago, Many Ann said:

Thank you for the information !  We too got Covid first of the month and have our PCR tests and Recovery letter from your health dept to use in Vancouver for our Alaska cruise next month.  You have put my mind to ease that it will go well at check in - I plan on bring Emed test too just in case. 

You are welcome!

2 hours ago, rudeney said:

I guess that's what puzzles me.  If the test shows you are still positive, why would you not be shedding virus just because you are recovered?  We have been told for years now that asymptomatic people can transmit the virus and that's the reason we've had to take precautions (stay home, masks, distancing) even when we felt fine.  I was just wondering if there was a difference in transmitting COVID post-recovery.   

One thing I did consider of is that if you are recovered but still testing positive, then at least they know you won't get sick again while on the cruise, but if you are positive and did not just recover, you could be a few days from symptoms and be sick on the ship.  If that's the case, then the role of testing seems be preventing infected buy asymptomatic passengers from becoming sick on the ship and not trying to keep COVID off the ship. 

Again, I'm not arguing, just discussing to try to gain more knowledge.  I understand this is CDC and/or RCI policy and it is what it is, so I will comply in order to cruise.  And I don't live in fear of COVID, so the policy will not change my desire to cruise.

A PCR or NAAT test can detect dead or pieces of the virus and a positive is not an indication of an active infection.  It is an indication of a recent infection.  The antigen or rapid flow test will show and active infection, and therefore contagious.  The reasoning behind allowing the certificate of recovery is that it would be extremely rare (although not impossible especially if different variants are circulating at the same time) for someone to be infected twice during a 90 day period, especially if vaccinated.  If vaccinated with a recent infection the chances of catching again are slim with what some are calling hybrid immunity.  Therefore the test must be a PCR (the most sensitive test) that was at least 10 days before and not more than 90 after your cruise and a letter from your doctor confirming that you have finished a 10 day quarantine after testing positive.  Probably more to it, but that is my understanding.  Nothing is fool proof, but I would sooner sit next to someone who is vaccinated, boosted and recently recovered than someone who is only vaccinated and tested negative 2 days before getting on a plane full of unmasked people and boarding a cruise ship.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SNemeth said:

A PCR or NAAT test can detect dead or pieces of the virus and a positive is not an indication of an active infection.  It is an indication of a recent infection.  The antigen or rapid flow test will show and active infection, and therefore contagious.  The reasoning behind allowing the certificate of recovery is that it would be extremely rare (although not impossible especially if different variants are circulating at the same time) for someone to be infected twice during a 90 day period, especially if vaccinated.  If vaccinated with a recent infection the chances of catching again are slim with what some are calling hybrid immunity.  Therefore the test must be a PCR (the most sensitive test) that was at least 10 days before and not more than 90 after your cruise and a letter from your doctor confirming that you have finished a 10 day quarantine after testing positive.  Probably more to it, but that is my understanding.  Nothing is fool proof, but I would sooner sit next to someone who is vaccinated, boosted and recently recovered than someone who is only vaccinated and tested negative 2 days before getting on a plane full of unmasked people and boarding a cruise ship.  

I have a doc of recovery using a positive rapid antigen test.  I thought the 10 days after testing positive applied when there were no symptoms, otherwise it is 10 days after symptoms.  That is what applied in our case at least.  Maybe the difference is I was reentering the US as opposed to boarding a cruise ship.    Either way, thanks for the info on why this process is needed.   

Edited by ldubs