Akrotiri DIY experience

dritan

Hi all

We have been to Santorini on many occasions and somehow I've not managed to get to the ruins of Akrotiri yet.  So my next cruise is my chance!  I'm not too interested in taking a shore excursion as RCI lump it in with the pleasant Oia - but I've been there a few times.  I'm considering taking the family on a local bus and walking out to the Red Beach ( we've done this before) and then I can escape and spend an hour or two at the nearby ruins.

My question is whether there are any on site guides or even audio guides that would help illuminate the sight - or if my only option is to wander myself and read any plaques? The official website is very short on detail. 

Would love to hear what to expect?  Thanks

I have quite a bit of experience with archaeological sites, and I found Akrotiri more challenging than most. Because it is so ancient, one cannot really transfer one's knowledge of classical Greek or Roman ruins and without the very good guide we had on our tour (I was on the specialty line Voyages to Antiquity which included very good expert-led tours), I would have missed many things, even having read several books in advance and compiled pages of notes.  

There are some plaques with information. This site which I can recommend for many Greek islands gives a bit more info and looks like they have a recommendation for a private tour:   https://santorinidave.com/santorini-ancient-akrotiri#:~:text=The exhibits have informative and,the Prehistoric Museum in Fira.

If you happen to be going to Athens on the same cruise, you should really go to the Archaeological Museum there and see the frescoes they have from Akrotiri -- they have the best selection of them and are (to me) the most amazing finds from the site.  On Santorini there is a museum that has one or two frescoes as well but not as many as you'd expect. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to both of you for the info and the links.  I'm going to add them to my research.  There have also been some good (BBC?) documentaries about Akrotiri and the impact of the volcano that I will refresh my mind on.

Sadly no trip to Athens this time but potentially in October and have yet to make it to the archeological museum - I think it's one of those places I need to go by myself ie: no moaning hubby or kids to placate.

• Like 2

On 5/10/2022 at 1:56 PM, dritan said:

Thanks to both of you for the info and the links.  I'm going to add them to my research.  There have also been some good (BBC?) documentaries about Akrotiri and the impact of the volcano that I will refresh my mind on.

Sadly no trip to Athens this time but potentially in October and have yet to make it to the archeological museum - I think it's one of those places I need to go by myself ie: no moaning hubby or kids to placate.

When are you going? I’d before July can you let me know how it went doing on your own? Thanks!