Scenic Cruise 5/18/22 Rhine Highlights Cancelled with No Offer of a Refund Yet!

katiebeth

We were scheduled on the May 18th, 2022 river cruise with Scenic on the Rhine Highlights itinerary and just received notice yesterday that Scenic has cancelled the sailing due to an "unexpected" and short-term shortage of crew members.     We were supposed to fly to Basel, Switzerland on May 14th.     Our travel agent has been working on a refund, since receiving the notice, but so far Scenic has only offered to reschedule us on the June 22nd sailing.

To say we are disappointed is an understatement.  Due to work and family commitments, May is the only time that works for us.   In addition, we have a lot of money invested in airfare and hotels.     Even if we could go on the June 22nd sailing, the cost of airfare and changing hotel reservations, makes it extremely cost prohibitive.    Our airfare would double, for example.

It is hard to imagine that Scenic just assumes we can easily change all of our plans and absorb the added costs, which are huge, and switch to the June 22nd cruise.     When our travel agent pushed for a refund that said it may be "possible" but would take up to 180 days??    How can they cancel and entire cruise and not automatically offer a refund?     Interestingly enough, they let us upgrade our stateroom to a higher category just last week.    Surely, they knew about the staffing issues at that time, as they claim the staff members are having difficulty obtaining Visas.

Our travel agent spent a good amount of time on the phone with Scenic yesterday and again all morning today.     I have requested  that Scenic put in writing that they will refund our entire fare and confirm the length of time it will take to do so.     How can they take your payment in one day, but take 180 days to process a refund?

Our travel agent has found to other sailings that will work for us with the dates/airfare/hotels we have now.  (one on Tauk and one on AmaWaterways).    However,  we don't want to book until we know for certain Scenic will refund.

We certainly will not be dealing with Scenic again.      Does anyone have anything they can share regarding Scenic cancelling cruises and not offering a refund?   Thank you!

In 2018 Emerald Waterways, a spinoff of Scenic, reimbursed everyone for not being able to cruise on the Danube for 5 of the 15 days of Spendors of Europe due to low water conditions even though they footed the bill to put up a fully booked ship in 4-5 star hotels in Hungary and Austria. They were able to do this BECAUSE THEY'RE INSURED. I would be insistent that they refund your money in a timely matter. Deal with  a customer service supervisor  through email and not a regular phone rep.

Stay away from Viking which is usually a great cruise. However right now they are requiring daily Covid testing and quarantining positives and companion in hotels for at least 5 days or until after that time you test negative. Then you have to return home. We cancelled our May 3 cruise because of this policy and rescheduled with vouchers in  October. If still testing daily we will cancel again. Good luck!

• Like 2

Thank you so much for your reply.    Yesterday afternoon, after our travel agent persisted with Scenic they offered a full refund that they will "expedite" and mail the check within 60 days.    The letter states the normal time to process a refund is 180 days, which is ridiculous.

Again, I am not sure how they can take payments immediately, but processing a refund takes 180 days.  I understand Scenic offers a very fine product once on board, but after our experience with cancelling our cruise due to staff shortages 14 days prior to sailing, it is highly doubtful we would feel comfortable booking with them again.

We were able to secure a stateroom last minute on Tauck for basically the same itinerary and sailing dates.    I need to double check but I don't believe Tauck is testing daily or requires a test prior to boarding.    My husband and I are fully vaccinated and had the booster shot.

I do not blame you at all for cancelling the Viking cruise.   Daily testing and quarantining in a hotel of Viking's choice for 5 days would be very stressful.    I hope it works out for you in October!

On 5/5/2022 at 12:22 PM, katiebeth said:

We were scheduled on the May 18th, 2022 river cruise with Scenic on the Rhine Highlights itinerary and just received notice yesterday that Scenic has cancelled the sailing due to an "unexpected" and short-term shortage of crew members.     We were supposed to fly to Basel, Switzerland on May 14th.     Our travel agent has been working on a refund, since receiving the notice, but so far Scenic has only offered to reschedule us on the June 22nd sailing.

To say we are disappointed is an understatement.  Due to work and family commitments, May is the only time that works for us.   In addition, we have a lot of money invested in airfare and hotels.     Even if we could go on the June 22nd sailing, the cost of airfare and changing hotel reservations, makes it extremely cost prohibitive.    Our airfare would double, for example.

It is hard to imagine that Scenic just assumes we can easily change all of our plans and absorb the added costs, which are huge, and switch to the June 22nd cruise.     When our travel agent pushed for a refund that said it may be "possible" but would take up to 180 days??    How can they cancel and entire cruise and not automatically offer a refund?     Interestingly enough, they let us upgrade our stateroom to a higher category just last week.    Surely, they knew about the staffing issues at that time, as they claim the staff members are having difficulty obtaining Visas.

Our travel agent spent a good amount of time on the phone with Scenic yesterday and again all morning today.     I have requested  that Scenic put in writing that they will refund our entire fare and confirm the length of time it will take to do so.     How can they take your payment in one day, but take 180 days to process a refund?

Our travel agent has found to other sailings that will work for us with the dates/airfare/hotels we have now.  (one on Tauk and one on AmaWaterways).    However,  we don't want to book until we know for certain Scenic will refund.

We certainly will not be dealing with Scenic again.      Does anyone have anything they can share regarding Scenic cancelling cruises and not offering a refund?   Thank you!

Katiebeth,

Was your sailing supposed to be on the Scenic Jade?  If so, it has been out of service for going on a month due to engine issues reported here by passengers onboard.  Scenic has been using the Pearl instead on its itineraries, but perhaps the passenger load is now getting to high to consolidate sailings?

Glad you were able to find a cruise that works with your travel dates and hope you have a great trip with Tauck.  Please let us know how it goes.

Many thanks,

If it is on the Opal friends just got off on May 8th and she tested positive for Covid. They are still in Budapest at a hotel. He has now tested positive. I wonder if they had an outbreak with the crew?

I am scheduled on the June 2nd, 4 night precruise in Switzerland and then the Basel to Amsterdam Highlights of the Rhine sailing on the Opal. My wife tested positive Sunday and now I tested positive today. We should be recovered and able to go, I hope Scenic is available.

Yes she had her 1st booster shot. I had my second booster last Friday 😒

Edited by Haysiedaze

• 1 month later...
On 5/6/2022 at 10:11 AM, katiebeth said:

Thank you so much for your reply.    Yesterday afternoon, after our travel agent persisted with Scenic they offered a full refund that they will "expedite" and mail the check within 60 days.    The letter states the normal time to process a refund is 180 days, which is ridiculous.

FWIW, I just received my refund check for my cancelled May 4 cruise. That's just a tad over 6 weeks from when I requested the refund. It's certainly not as quick as it could have been, but 6 weeks doesn't strike me as an unreasonably long time. I hope you receive your check as promptly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1