Haines and the ferry

ImperialLady

Has anyone reading taken the ferry from Sklagway to Haines on their own.  We are looking at doing it as Princess isn't offering it.  There are several museums,  art galleries,  these below

We considered doing it on our own a few years ago but the schedules were pretty inconsistent.  I was concerned about our return trip back to Skagway.  If you are on a ship tour you don’t have to worry.  We saw Haines when our ship stopped there as part of an itinerary.  I’m surprised that Princess isn’t offering the Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve rafting but maybe it’s too early in the season.  The American Bald Eagle Foundation is in town.  Not sure about the Heritage Center (it may be out the road aways).  There is a lot to do in Skagway but maybe you’ve seen it all on previous visits.

5 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

We considered doing it on our own a few years ago but the schedules were pretty inconsistent.  I was concerned about our return trip back to Skagway.  If you are on a ship tour you don’t have to worry.  We saw Haines when our ship stopped there as part of an itinerary.  I’m surprised that Princess isn’t offering the Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve rafting but maybe it’s too early in the season.  The American Bald Eagle Foundation is in town.  Not sure about the Heritage Center (it may be out the road aways).  There is a lot to do in Skagway but maybe you’ve seen it all on previous visits.

My DIL is limited in what she can do due to her back..has had 3 surgeries. We did the train and walked around and saw some of the places of note.  She seems to be more interested in what is being offered in Haines. And so far we haven't found any tour offered by Priness to Haines. But I am concerned about something happening and not getting back to the ship on time.  But we are in port  7am to 8:30pm..that's a long time without a plan   😬 Thanks for your reply.  

We took the ferry to Haines ourselves and once you get off the boat there is NOTHING close. We walked a ways and hit a brewery then came across a taxi service who said he'd pick us up at a restaurant at a certain time. He never showed up and we had to quickly trek back to the ferry. The town itself was quite sparse. I'd make sure you have pre-arranged transportation to the sights you'd like to see ahead of time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have rented a car in Skagway and driven over to Dyea and up the road to the Canadian border.  So much depends on the weather and cars have to be rented well in advance.

Haines is a quaint little town and has an interesting Hammer Museum.  There’s not a lot to see there.  The last time we were there we rented a car and drove up the road toward Haines Junction but turned around midway.  In Haines it was easy to rent a car once we arrived.

There is another post recently on this board that indicated that the ferry may not go from Skagway to Haines every day.  It may be a financial issue. 

You may be able to find a private tour operator to show you around in Skagway or Haines.

Edited by oaktreerb
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MellyMel612 said:

We took the ferry to Haines ourselves and once you get off the boat there is NOTHING close. We walked a ways and hit a brewery then came across a taxi service who said he'd pick us up at a restaurant at a certain time. He never showed up and we had to quickly trek back to the ferry. The town itself was quite sparse. I'd make sure you have pre-arranged transportation to the sights you'd like to see ahead of time.

Oh mercy....I am so concerned that something like that might happen. Thanks for sharing your experience and your wise suggestion regarding pre-arranged transportation. 

1 hour ago, oaktreerb said:

We have rented a car in Skagway and driven over to Dyea and up the road to the Canadian border.  So much depends on the weather and cars have to be rented well in advance.

Haines is a quaint little town and has an interesting Hammer Museum.  There’s not a lot to see there.  The last time we were there we rented a car and drove up the road toward Haines Junction but turned around midway.  In Haines it was easy to rent a car once we arrived.

There is another post recently on this board that indicated that the ferry may not go from Skagway to Haines every day.  It may be a financial issue. 

You may be able to find a private tour operator to show you around in Skagway or Haines.

thank you for your response. Your suggestion regarding a private tour is one I may look into.

If you have been to Skagway before Haines can be a nice option, but there is a lot to see in Skagway. If you do decide to go to Haines stop in the small Hammer museum, it can be fun. If you have the $$$ I highly recommend a flight with Mountain Flying Service, he flies  out of Skagway also but is really based in Haines. I've done several flights over Glacier Bay and it is spectacular

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DougH said:

If you have been to Skagway before Haines can be a nice option, but there is a lot to see in Skagway. If you do decide to go to Haines stop in the small Hammer museum, it can be fun. If you have the $$$ I highly recommend a flight with Mountain Flying Service, he flies  out of Skagway also but is really based in Haines. I've done several flights over Glacier Bay and it is spectacular

Thanks for your reply and suggestions....I will check into them