What is your comfortable per night cost when you cruise?

13 hours ago, lahore said:

Oooh, I will be interested if you wouldn't mind reporting on what you think of Cunard.  We have thought about doing what you are doing with the repo cruise, perhaps next year.  Maybe going on it rather than returning.  It's not horribly different from a business class airfare at the moment.

I'll be happy to do that, but judging by reports of Cunard's woeful wifi service, it will be post-cruise.  It's the only consistently negative criticism I've read of Cunard, and that criticism comes from not only newbies to the line, but also from loyal Cunard long-timers.  There's really no reason for such unsatisfactory wifi in this day and age.  People who've formally complained to Cunard all receive the generalised reply that Cunard passengers prefer traditional service, and wifi service is not prioritised on these grounds.  I think that excuse is wearing very thin.  Anyway, apart from that glaring negative, we're open to trying Cunard's more traditional approach to cruising, although carrying the mandatory formal attire for the gala evenings from the other side of the planet is a bit of a burden.  It's apparently either wear the gear, or dine in your suite or the casual buffet.  Your idea of the reverse repositioning cruise is really interesting, but I don't think QE sails from here to Europe, but rather to Vancouver through Asia.  I could be wrong on that one though.  We have always loved the relaxed, yet sophisticated, aura of Seabourn and Silversea, and the similar, yet slightly less expensive, "country club" experience of Oceania.  We have also loved "The Haven" on NCL, but not so much the size of its larger ships with more passengers.  I think QE will be very different, and we'll either love it or leave it.  Watch this space for November next year😉

• Like 1

We have considered the Haven, but it has slipped by so far.

This is one we did break my price guide for, for the equivalent space on Ovation. There are a couple of Ovation vids out there, but this one for Quantum is a better quality - just turn down the sound if you don't like Jimmy Buffet. 

48 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Oops...I meant to say watch this space for November THIS year😞

OK, shall do.  I will be interested to see what you think.  We abhor the whole dress ups thing and would not be doing that under any circumstances so I'd be interested to see what you think about escaping that part of the experience.  Actually I'd be quite happy to eat in the room or the 'trough'. 

1 hour ago, lahore said:

OK, shall do.  I will be interested to see what you think.  We abhor the whole dress ups thing and would not be doing that under any circumstances so I'd be interested to see what you think about escaping that part of the experience.  Actually I'd be quite happy to eat in the room or the 'trough'. 

I am with you re dressing up. Went on QM2 in 2017, Sydney - HK. As it was on a world cruise, most pax were Brits, Tuxedo central, I took a blazer for formal night, got a few dirty looks.  I liked the ship, wonderful. But some of the pax were not my style, bit stuck up and too posh for me.  They love their G&T's lol.  One morning in the Britannia Restaurant, we got seated at the breakfast table and some old codger sitting in there in his regimental blazer and tie, reading the Times newspaper - condensed version, comes in over the wire each morning. Dress a bit over the top.  I would do Cunard again, but no formal/black tie nights for me, buffet will do. Does that make me a half bogan or half chav, lol.

Thank goodness Holland America, my next cruise, has done away with 'formal nights.' They call them Gala nights now. Tuxedos, suits optional, smart casual, i.e. shirt and trousers will do.  That is me, the latter, lol.

This will be fine..

239428017_376489263842020_8944843152730290424_n.thumb.jpg.38e125d8c743214dc2916521475c5b81.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

I am with you re dressing up. Went on QM2 in 2017, Sydney - HK. As it was on a world cruise, most pax were Brits, Tuxedo central, I took a blazer for formal night, got a few dirty looks.  I liked the ship, wonderful. But some of the pax were not my style, bit stuck up and too posh for me.  They love their G&T's lol.  One morning in the Britannia Restaurant, we got seated at the breakfast table and some old codger sitting in there in his regimental blazer and tie, reading the Times newspaper - condensed version, comes in over the wire each morning. Dress a bit over the top.  I would do Cunard again, but no formal/black tie nights for me, buffet will do. Does that make me a half bogan or half chav, lol.

Thank goodness Holland America, my next cruise, has done away with 'formal nights.' They call them Gala nights now. Tuxedos, suits optional, smart casual, i.e. shirt and trousers will do.  That is me, the latter, lol.

This will be fine..

239428017_376489263842020_8944843152730290424_n.thumb.jpg.38e125d8c743214dc2916521475c5b81.jpg

I'm with you both.  We'll pack a dress jacket for him and a few evening tops to mix with evening pants for me, and resent having to do that.  If it was a shorter cruise, we'd skip the formal ("gala" on Cunard) evenings totally, but it's 37 days, and gala evenings are at least once or even twice per week.  I need to check that, but even once per week is too much for us.   What I really see red about is paying a fortune for QG then being forbidden to enter the dining room on gala evenings unless we're bedecked in formal attire.  Himself is not happy at all, particularly about lugging the formal attire all over the world first.  For that reason, and from all reports the woeful wifi, I think we'll enjoy the earlier 14 days on Oceania much more, but time will tell.  Cruises should be relaxing and comfortable.  "Smart casual", as in dinner at your local restaurant or golf club, is perfect for us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

We have considered the Haven, but it has slipped by so far.

This is one we did break my price guide for, for the equivalent space on Ovation. There are a couple of Ovation vids out there, but this one for Quantum is a better quality - just turn down the sound if you don't like Jimmy Buffet. 

Thank you for posting...absolutely gorgeous🥰

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Belinda Van Krevel said:

Mmm. OTT. I think he and Adrian are kindred spirits. Anyone who quotes their status, number of cruises, social media profile etc to justify being wronged for not being treated as the special people they are, kinda lose me pretty quick. 

That is only up to 20 mins though. Maybe he will win me over when I watch the rest.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Mareblu said:

I'll be happy to do that, but judging by reports of Cunard's woeful wifi service, it will be post-cruise.  It's the only consistently negative criticism I've read of Cunard, and that criticism comes from not only newbies to the line, but also from loyal Cunard long-timers.  There's really no reason for such unsatisfactory wifi in this day and age.  People who've formally complained to Cunard all receive the generalised reply that Cunard passengers prefer traditional service, and wifi service is not prioritised on these grounds.  I think that excuse is wearing very thin.  Anyway, apart from that glaring negative, we're open to trying Cunard's more traditional approach to cruising, although carrying the mandatory formal attire for the gala evenings from the other side of the planet is a bit of a burden.  It's apparently either wear the gear, or dine in your suite or the casual buffet.  Your idea of the reverse repositioning cruise is really interesting, but I don't think QE sails from here to Europe, but rather to Vancouver through Asia.  I could be wrong on that one though.  We have always loved the relaxed, yet sophisticated, aura of Seabourn and Silversea, and the similar, yet slightly less expensive, "country club" experience of Oceania.  We have also loved "The Haven" on NCL, but not so much the size of its larger ships with more passengers.  I think QE will be very different, and we'll either love it or leave it.  Watch this space for November next year😉

QG on Cunard is very comfortable. As far as wifi goes, it's definitely not their strength. Compose a message before logging in and then post in one go would be my advice.

As far as luggage goes, you can send a suitcase or cases on ahead. You could send a case from Australia to be delivered to the ship in Barcelona. I've done that in reverse, sending a case home from a ship in Portsmouth to be delivered to my home in Australia. I can recommend 'Luggage Forward' as a company.

Just read your later post and feeling a bit concerned for your 37 days on Cunard when you resent taking a jacket for hubby and some tops to coordinate with trousers for yourself for wearing to dinner. That's a lot of days to be feeling resentful about dressing for dinner! The standard is really not that onerous. Some people really enjoy dressing up and making an ocassion of dinner but as long as you tick the boxes, no-one will send you packing from the dining room.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

QG on Cunard is very comfortable. As far as wifi goes, it's definitely not their strength. Compose a message before logging in and then post in one go would be my advice.

As far as luggage goes, you can send a suitcase or cases on ahead. You could send a case from Australia to be delivered to the ship in Barcelona. I've done that in reverse, sending a case home from a ship in Portsmouth to be delivered to my home in Australia. I can recommend 'Luggage Forward' as a company.

Just read your later post and feeling a bit concerned for your 37 days on Cunard when you resent taking a jacket for hubby and some tops to coordinate with trousers for yourself for wearing to dinner. That's a lot of days to be feeling resentful about dressing for dinner! The standard is really not that onerous. Some people really enjoy dressing up and making an ocassion of dinner but as long as you tick the boxes, no-one will send you packing from the dining room.

Thanks, LittleFish.  We actually enjoy dressing for dinner, so I probably overstated the resentment bit.  It's just that I certainly won't be carting flowing formal gowns....it's transforming to add a string of pearls and drop earrings to dress up simple black attire, and that's what I'll be doing.  I do know, though, that there will be some evenings we would simply enjoy a quiet, elegant dinner in the QG dining room without the very, very, formal attire.  Your suggestion is a good one, thank you.  I'll look into "Luggage Forward".

Linda