Civitavecchia/Rome Disembarkation

WexIrl

Good Evening.

I have a question that I know I will not get an exact answer for here, but I am hoping I might get some insight through some recent personal experience of contributors here that will allow me to make an educated guess at best!

I will (hopefully!) be sailing on the NCL Escape out of Civitavecchia/Rome on June 10th – 20th.

On June 20th the ship is scheduled to dock at 6am in Civitavecchia/Rome. I have a flight booked at 11:30am out of Fiumicino (FCO)

I have a private transfer booked to collect us from the sea port to the airport, and I need to give the company a collection time.

I have purchased the priority boarding package also.

*I have made this journey before when we sailed pre-Covid on the Epic and made it with time to spare to FCO for the same flight time.

**I have spoke to 3 NCL representatives and was told to ask on the ship. But I would rather not leave it that late to update the transfer company if possible.

My question is: With the current related ship/dock protocols now in place in Civitavecchia/Rome, realistically what time can we expect to disembark the ship if there is no unscheduled delays?

We can carry our own luggage off also to expedite things if required.

Thanks for any help/feedback.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

I’m not aware of anything covid related which is delaying disembarkation. Is there something specific at Civitavecchia?

When we disembarked in Athens a few weeks ago it was perfectly normal.

I am not aware of what the current set up is, it has been 5 years since I was through there.
I hope there is not!, and we can get off relatively quickly.

I just asked that question last week with the concierge team. I was told that we can get off the ship at 7am if we let the staff know that we need to disembark early. We made reservations to be picked up at 7:15. We are not going to the Rome airport. We are going to spend two days in Rome but have a tour starting at 1:15 and wanted to get checked in to the hotel early, eat lunch, and buy metro tickets without being rushed. Google maps suggest that this could be up to a 2 hour drive since it is rush hour but it's only like 45 miles. The airport drive may miss most of that traffic so you may have a much quicker drive. 

• Thanks 2

I just got off the Escape last Wednesday in Civitavecchia. Self-helped myself, process was easy and quick. There was no immigration or anyone checking IDs, just walked off and grabbed a shuttle bus to the train station. 

Funny, when I flew home yesterday from Venice, immigration police at the airport pulled me aside because they had no record of my entering the country. They kept flipping through my passport, looking for the entry stamp. Had to explain that I arrived via cruise ship. Wasn't a big deal, luckily. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wexlrl - I am on same cruise! We are trying to make a 11:30 to London so glad to see this thread. How did you get priority boarding on ship? Or did you mean for flight? Thanks for the help! 

• Thanks 1

On 5/17/2022 at 2:18 AM, Cateacher said:

Wexlrl - I am on same cruise! We are trying to make a 11:30 to London so glad to see this thread. How did you get priority boarding on ship? Or did you mean for flight? Thanks for the help! 

Howdy,

I just called NCL and told them I wanted priority boarding, they charged me €210 for a family of 4.

we have disembarked twice in Civit. And even with the CruiseLine bus transfer we were there in plenty of time for 11 something flights.  Private transfer will make it even easier, especially if you can carry off your own luggage.  The cruises were precovid, but I don’t think anything should have changed.

Carnival had the FAster to the fun option for years, but I didn’t NCL had gone down that path.  But it is another source of revenue.

Edited by MagnoliaBlossom

I just got off the Escape 2 days ago in Rome. We did walk off, and at 6:40a they announced that the first group could go off . We waited until 7:05a and there was no line to get off the ship, and nobody at Customs either. We too had a private transfer and we weren't picked up until a planned 7:45a.  We were at terminal #3 at FCO by 840a. If you have your "verifly" app done, the line at your airline might be shorter.  After you check in your bags, the 1st of 3 security checks are next. It probably took 35 minutes to get through the security, then you have to get on a tram. When you get off the tram, you get into another line (long) and go through security again. From arrival at FCO to getting to our AA gate took about 1hr.  Is an 11:30 a possibly? Yes, if there are no Hiccups along the way. Good luck. Your going to see some amazing sites.

We also got off in Civitavecchia a couple of weeks ago (HAL Cruise), Disembarkation was no hassle - no customs at all. Traffic from Civitavecchia to FCO was light both times. 

Both times I have used private drivers their vans were parked to the left as you walk out of the terminal. under a long covered awning. The terminal, and area, is somewhat...Industrial.

Assuming you are flying to the US, you will need a monitored COVID test within 24 hours of flight. There is testing facility in FCO Terminal 3, and parts of Terminal 3 are under construction - so some long walks around. We had our own monitored eMed tests done so we did not use that FCO Terminal 3 test facility - that was my back-up plan. 

We actually stayed overnight this last time at the Hilton this time. Our non-stop to DFW only flies at 10 AM daily - could not make that on disembarkation date.

We had completed our COVID Tests, and Verifly in the hotel that afternoon. For Verifly you have to provide photos of passports and test results prior to checking in (at least for AA). That took time for just the two of us. FYI: Somebody actually looked at the VeriFly submittals as two got sent back for corrections or clearer photo.

For HAL they did provide on-board testing for those flying on Disembarkation day - did not work for us as we had one extra day.

Not sure how you are going to do that for a party of 4 all in one morning if NCL doe snot provide that testing - make sure you have that figured out.

For us, the next morning our shuttle driver dropped us off at the start of Terminal 3. We flew AA. AA check-in is at the FAR end of Terminal 3. FYI: Not really sure what Verifly did for us (except permit us to check-in) as AA check-in still wanted to see all the documents, luckily I had photos of the test results on my cell phone as I did not have Cell Phone coverage in Italy. As a side note: AA actually checked the carry-on size - so I had to do the traditional open the bags and re-arrange packing to get the Carry-on to fit - and we were Business class.  After checking in you need to walk all the way back (around construction zone) to the beginning of Terminal 3 to get through security. Toledosfinest is correct that it can be a long, long walk, and 3 checkpoints, and a tram ride to get to the gate. Do not dilly-dally