3 or 4 year old this season

kcmo74

Has anybody had any experience yet with having an unvaccinated 3 or 4 year old child in their group yet this season? Just wondering about the extra testing they say they have to do at port and masking requirements? Thanks for any insight.

1 hour ago, kcmo74 said:

Has anybody had any experience yet with having an unvaccinated 3 or 4 year old child in their group yet this season? Just wondering about the extra testing they say they have to do at port and masking requirements? Thanks for any insight.

I do not have experience nor would I want to take an unvac. or vaccinated child on a cruise right now.  If you become ill with covid and have to isolate, who will care for the child, etc.  I know this is not what you asked and I don't want to start a fight, but as I said, I really think this is not the time to be taking a child on a cruise.  At any time, you could be asked to mask, and in fact it would be a great idea, as we are going to do, and have done since last September while cruising, to mask outside your cabin.  I have cruised extensively (9 weeks) last fall, in April for 3 weeks and again this Sat. we will be cruising for two more weeks.  It's more complicated than extra testing at the port and mask-wearing.

• Like 3

On our recent cruise we small about 3 or 4 families with very you children.

Like other's I would not recommend it.  With a number of cruises having in excess of 3% covid cases the risk of any vaccinated person regardless of age would be very risky.    

• Like 3

10 hours ago, kcmo74 said:

You should be able to find the answer on the website. I agree with others I wouldn't take an unvaccinated child on a cruise right now. Almost all ships have Covid cases, and it's spreads easily. We got Covid after being on Apex we were careful, and still got it.

To answer your actual question, country-specific requirements are here: https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/travel

The U.S. requirements (separate from Alaska and Hawaii for some reason) state the following for unvaccinated guests:

Unvaccinated guests will be required to bring a negative PCR test conducted within three days of boarding. These guests will be given an additional COVID-19 Antigen test at the terminal prior to embarkation and on the day before disembarkation. The CDC has advised unvaccinated guests cannot be tested twice in one day as it may affect the accuracy of the test results, therefore the COVID-19 PCR test required before arriving at the terminal cannot be taken on boarding day. A registration link for required onsite testing at the terminal will be emailed separately.

Re: masking

While onboard, masks are optional but highly recommended for unvaccinated guests.

16 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

To answer your actual question, country-specific requirements are here: https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/travel

The U.S. requirements (separate from Alaska and Hawaii for some reason) state the following for unvaccinated guests:

Unvaccinated guests will be required to bring a negative PCR test conducted within three days of boarding. These guests will be given an additional COVID-19 Antigen test at the terminal prior to embarkation and on the day before disembarkation. The CDC has advised unvaccinated guests cannot be tested twice in one day as it may affect the accuracy of the test results, therefore the COVID-19 PCR test required before arriving at the terminal cannot be taken on boarding day. A registration link for required onsite testing at the terminal will be emailed separately.

Re: masking

While onboard, masks are optional but highly recommended for unvaccinated guests.

Thank you for the response, I already know this info and have read the site and protocols thoroughly. This post is more to gauge if anyone has gone through the experience yet and if everything went smoothly or not. 

1 minute ago, kcmo74 said:

Thank you for the response, I already know this info and have read the site and protocols thoroughly. This post is more to gauge if anyone has gone through the experience yet and if everything went smoothly or not. 

Ah ha. Got it. I haven't seen any posts with feedback regarding the under 5 set from people who have actually sailed with young children, which makes me think either 1) no one has had anything to complain about [given the numerous complaints being posted lately] or 2) so few people are sailing with under 5s that not much info is available.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 12cruise2 said:

I do not have experience nor would I want to take an unvac. or vaccinated child on a cruise right now.  If you become ill with covid and have to isolate, who will care for the child, etc.  I know this is not what you asked and I don't want to start a fight, but as I said, I really think this is not the time to be taking a child on a cruise.  At any time, you could be asked to mask, and in fact it would be a great idea, as we are going to do, and have done since last September while cruising, to mask outside your cabin.  I have cruised extensively (9 weeks) last fall, in April for 3 weeks and again this Sat. we will be cruising for two more weeks.  It's more complicated than extra testing at the port and mask-wearing.

If you don’t want to start a fight then it is probably best to just not post. I don’t want to start a fight either but I will say this in response to you and the others saying they wouldn’t take unvaccinated children right now: Some people don’t live in fear of a virus that at this point is comparable to the flu for healthy adults and is even less of a risk for children as long as there are no pre-existing conditions. We have been back out in the public doing our thing since June of 2020, only wearing masks where they are required, and we won’t be wearing masks on a cruise we payed a lot of money for unless they require it. I have no qualms at all about taking my child on this cruise all I’m trying to do is gauge the boarding process and if the extra test has caused any hiccups for anyone. I know something like this is always going to comments from those with opposite views, but if people aren’t seeing what Covid is at this present time and moving on with their lives as normal, then I pity them.

• Like 2

I'm not sure why this turned into a debate about whether a parent should take their unvaccinated young child on a cruise.  Isn't that an individual parent decision based on that individual child and family circumstances?  Also, 3 and 4 year olds are far more likely to get COVID from their daycare or preschool than a cruise ship.  I know it has run through the daycares and preschools in my area several times.  All of my friends' and colleagues' young children have had COVID in the last few months and in most of those cases they spread it to their parents who have now all recently had COVID.

To the OP's question, I don't know that we have seen a lot of young children on board Celebrity cruises so I'm not sure how much first-hand knowledge you are going to get.

• Like 1