Cabana advice please!

Hi friends,

We are booked on the Statendam in July, cruising Norway, Sweden, Denmark and northern Germany.

We are deep in planning and would love your view on cabanas.  As background, we normally book the thermal spa for the duration of the cruise and we enjoy quieter and more relaxing areas….  Hence, curious about the cabanas.  My main question is about how sheltered they are as I am guessing Scandinavian weather can be mixed.  Has anyone booked a cabana during summer in Northern Europe and did you find it warm and sheltered enough to use?

So thankful for this community 

Lois

We had a cabana on our Eurodam Baltic/Northern Europe 22 day cruise a few years ago. It was usable every day. But wind and rain can make them less than comfortable at times, as we have had cabanas on 8 cruises. Usually, the cabana staff will do everything they can to make them usable...they are very good at that.

21 minutes ago, GroomsportGirl said:

Thanks CruiserBruce!

We have just had thunder storm here…..so perhaps a little wind won’t be too bad. 

One further question - does anyone who if you can use the cabana area, inc hot tub in the evening?

There is no employees or other services at night. Occasionally there will be an event unrelated to the cabanas or the people renting them at night...for example we attended a cocktail party held for passengers that were on a B2B.

Otherwise you may go up there. They may be cleaning, or none of the furniture set up for whatever reason. But you can go up there.

On 5/20/2022 at 7:14 AM, GroomsportGirl said:

Hi friends,

We are booked on the Statendam in July, cruising Norway, Sweden, Denmark and northern Germany.

Can't help as we sail in August, so after you do, and this is our first cabana rental. (Family "corner" one on Nieuw Statendam.) I hope you'll return and post your experience of the cabana in northern waters, however, since we'll be visiting Canada, Greenland, and Iceland! 🙂

My husband tends to be outdoors even in weather that others would find too brisk, so we expect that he will get more than average use of the space even if it is windy and chilly. (For example, he'll barbecue on our deck all winter in New England as long as snow doesn't activity block his access.) Time will tell whether our teens or I spend much time there with him, however.

I do plan to pack a hot water bottle for this purpose. COVID socializing taught me that keeping my feet warm extends my comfortable time outdoors (at 60 F or less) by quite a lot. And I'll pack gloves and a knit hat.🧤

We booked a Cabana for a February cruise this past winter and it was great.

There were plenty available and booking by the day would have worked just fine.

For the August Iceland trip, we may get one for a day.

I don't see any value of booking for the whole trip.

56 minutes ago, exhotelman said:

We booked a Cabana for a February cruise this past winter and it was great.

There were plenty available and booking by the day would have worked just fine.

For the August Iceland trip, we may get one for a day.

I don't see any value of booking for the whole trip.

That would be a good option for sure in the cold weather.  I’d be surprised if they’d be all booked up.  It’s a crap shoot if they’ll be available for warm weather.  Sometimes they are available, sometimes not.