United Explorer or Chase Sapphire card?

kaymoz

I'm thinking about signing up for a travel-oriented credit card, since I'm contemplating enrollment in Global Entry.  I'm considering two that have yearly fees of about $100 and some kind of credit for the GE fee -- the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card and the United Explorer card.  My husband has the United card so I've seen firsthand how handy those mileage points are! 
What advice do you have for choosing between the two, given that there is already one United card "in the family"?!
(I know this isn't just an insurance question but couldn't figure out where else to ask this question, and insurance features are one benefit of these cards!)

Edited by kaymoz

One nice thing about the Sapphire card is that you can transfer the points one-for-one to the United frequent flyer account without a fee, so in a sense you are still earning United FF. Check to see where else they can be transferred.

Be careful of the insurance benefits. They are a perk of the card paid in part by the annual fee, but those plans were never intended to replace comprehensive travel insurance. If you can avoid the pre-existing conditions clause, the cancellation is adequate; but be sure you understand trip interruption and trip delay before you rely on them.