Thoughts on Finnair, Please

rkacruiser

Considering a flight from JFK to Helsinki to Oslo in Business Class.  I would appreciate learning the views and/or experiences by those who may have flown on Finnair in Business Class and on this itinerary.  

I prefer Finn and the HEL airport.

Clean planes, comfortable cabin and great service. That route from JFK was a midnight flight in the winter and I believe around 7PM now. The food is good – (from JFK kitchen so pretty much same as AA or BA). Returning out of HEL it is much better.

Try the Blue-Sky cocktail (blueberry liquor and champaign). It is better than it sounds.

Flying business you can use the lounge in HEL which is great.

I have flown them numerous times. The only downfall (albeit it may not be the case now) was it arrived and departed having to use steps and not jetway.

Going to Oslo, if you can it’s better on the Finn main line. The Cityhopper and Nordic are their regional carriers and while doable for this short distance, isn’t any more than the small plane routes you find with the legacy carriers in the States.

Edited by Host Mike
  • Thanks 1

Good carrier, very consistent in service standards and quality. HEL is very easy to transit. Lounge is excellent. 

I have flown AY connecting in HEL many times to Asia. 
The new business class product looks interesting and have not seen anything negative..

Personally I’d take Finnair with one stop over SAS non stop. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Friends have returned from their trip to Finland and Norway, flying on Finnair in Business Class.  They reported very good flights both ways.  One plane was very new with the new Business Class interior.  The other plane was 12 years old, but had been fitted with the new Business Class seats.  BC meal service has changed somewhat.  The first course is included on the tray with the main course.  No individual course service and food comes on one tray.  Food was good, they said, but the wine list was uninspiring.  The flight attendants were attentive even on the JFK-HEL flight when BC was full.  Only 13 passengers on the return flight; service was even better.  

Speaking with my friends, I learned that there were two choices for a First Course, two different cold plates.  Both were served on the same tray as the main course.  This was different from what I have experienced in Business Class on Delta and Singapore Airlines.  Is this unique to Finnair or are other airlines also doing this?  

There are still carriers utilising a one tray service in business class on long haul. 
British Airways being one of the worst. 
last time I flew Iberia two starter choices were served with the main course. 
whatever the catering arrangements are on any carrier right now appear highly changeable. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just flew Finnair BC a couple of days ago. We had 2 appetizers served separately from the main entree. However, we flew from LAX to Stockholm, so a longer flight than from JFK, and that may have been the difference. Overall a very pleasant experience.

• Thanks 1