Internet Speed Transatlantic - working remote

pog27

I'm considering booking the Valiant Lady transatlantic Barcelona - Miami this October but need internet speeds fast enough for me to take zoom calls and do some other work. I was on the Scarlet Lady over Christmas and didn't have to do much work but was able to take the calls I needed. Have people been able to successfully work remotely from the ship and I'm specifically interested in how the internet has been for anyone who has done Virgin transatlantic (I assume there has only been 1 transatlantic cruise for the Scarlet Lady - but were there even passengers onboard?)

I've done TransAtlantics on other lines and had no problem with the internet.  However, the reports from Valiant Lady is that the speed in the Med is quite bad; initially it was so bad that they had to take restaurant orders on paper because the app didn't work.  The reports say that it is better now, but not equivalent to what they had in the Caribbean on Scarlet.  My guess is that they're going to continue to try to improve it and that we won't really know till we get closer to October.  Sorry this isn't a precise answer...my IT person told me to not count on anything more than e-mails.

1 hour ago, cantgetin said:

I've done TransAtlantics on other lines and had no problem with the internet.  However, the reports from Valiant Lady is that the speed in the Med is quite bad; initially it was so bad that they had to take restaurant orders on paper because the app didn't work.  The reports say that it is better now, but not equivalent to what they had in the Caribbean on Scarlet.  My guess is that they're going to continue to try to improve it and that we won't really know till we get closer to October.  Sorry this isn't a precise answer...my IT person told me to not count on anything more than e-mails.

Transatlantic this year from Florida to Europe on Princess wasn't useable this was off the Sky Princess.  You were lucky if email worked quickly but this seems to have been a problem with all Princess ships from what I read here, this looks like it was a fleet wide problem with Princess in the end since it seems like they dropped the fast internet they use in the Caribbean for a different system for the transatlantic, never got any straight answer to why that was the case except for the fast internet doesn't work on transatlantic.  Royal Caribbean said the first few and last few days should be fine with the fast internet.  From what I know Virgin Voyages uses the same internet that Princess uses in the Caribbean and that Royal Caribbean uses on most of their ships.  So don't know who to trust.  I would go for you might have problems and not to trust it working all the time.  

I was chatting with their online agent, and asked this question since my wife is also planning on working remotely for part of the cruise. Here's what they said:

"At this time, we are not offering Premium WiFi on our Med sailings due to not being able to provide faster speeds in these areas. The premium WiFi is only offered during our Caribbean sailings."

"The unlimited WiFi is pretty strong, but we cannot guarantee it is strong enough to work remotely."

3 hours ago, boroplin said:

I was chatting with their online agent, and asked this question since my wife is also planning on working remotely for part of the cruise. Here's what they said:

"At this time, we are not offering Premium WiFi on our Med sailings due to not being able to provide faster speeds in these areas. The premium WiFi is only offered during our Caribbean sailings."

"The unlimited WiFi is pretty strong, but we cannot guarantee it is strong enough to work remotely."

Sounds like official speech for "it isn't very good and we can't get it better..." which is basically what current sailors are saying.

Thanks for the feedback…based on this the final

decision is not to book but hopefully they’ll figure it out at some point. It’s 2022..internet isn’t a luxury

On 6/14/2022 at 6:50 PM, pog27 said:

I'm considering booking the Valiant Lady transatlantic Barcelona - Miami this October but need internet speeds fast enough for me to take zoom calls and do some other work. I was on the Scarlet Lady over Christmas and didn't have to do much work but was able to take the calls I needed. Have people been able to successfully work remotely from the ship and I'm specifically interested in how the internet has been for anyone who has done Virgin transatlantic (I assume there has only been 1 transatlantic cruise for the Scarlet Lady - but were there even passengers onboard?)

I think this is quite a big ask, even on a good day for solid cruise co lol

My friend bought premium Princess package and they have one of best internets (apparently), we were sort of able to stream video but this was near land and it was far from perfect.

I'd be really surprised if you could get half decent on a VV AND a transatlantic tbh...