What is the current fashion for formal night

JanetMarie

a long dress. Today's "formal" dictates a woman can wear either a cocktail dress, long dress or dressy evening separates. Usually you see a good mix of all on any given cruise. For me, I like to be comfortable for the whole evening and prefer "dressy evening separates" (A black skirt (short) paired with an appropriate top.)

Well just to give more description, the dress is white linen with a navy rose print, strapless with a mid calf length. The skirt kind of poofs out a tad and a navy satin ribbon / sash ties in a bow around the waist. I feel that it looks more dressed up than the tuxedo pants and sparkly shirt. I ask this question because it is not a floor length, sequined dress. Do you all still think the pants and top will be more formal or (I guess I should ask) "more appropriate" than the dress? Is neither appropriate? Please let me know. This is why I ask here vs. feel awkward on the cruise.

Thanks!

Your dress sounds gorgeous, but it does sound like it is more formal day wear than evening wear.

I would not wear linen as formal evening wear, but have worn linen dresses to many a Summer wedding or Christening.

I think alot of confusion lies between formal day and formal evening wear sometimes, they really are quite different.

At the end of the day though, you should really feel free to wear what you like (within reason!) ;)

Archived