What is the current fashion for formal night

JanetMarie

Hello girls,

I have been off of these boards for a bit, and I have no clue as to what the ladies are wearing for formal night. Are long "gowns" still in? What is the percentage of ladies wearing floor length dresses? 80? 50? 20? Thanks much for your help!

Janet

yes, long formal gowns are always in. I have been cruising since I was 18 and have always worn a floor length dress for formal nights. I think the younger (teens to early 20's) girls opt to wear more cocktail or mid calf length dresses these days. And it seems like the 60+ group tends to wear dressy pant suit type attire. So it varies accross the board! :)

By all means wear the long gown. If you're the type of person who likes to dress up, go for it, you'll look great. Get hubby in a tux and not only will you look great you'll feel great to. DW & I always look forward to these nights. Me in a tux, her in a long gown, yes we look Maaarvelous Daling, and so will you.

When we were on the Golden Princess in '05 @ 95% of the couples were dressed up and @ 95% of them were in gowns or tuxes.

For those who don't like to dress up, you'll find most of them at the buffet that night.

When I was on the Amsterdam to Alaska, I saw everything from very elegant gowns to rather casual clothes on formal night. I don't think there is one definition of "formal" anymore! That being said, I really appreciate people taking the time and putting in the effort to wear nice evening clothes, if they're going to be in the main dining room, on formal nights. If a person doesn't want to "dress" at all, there is always another restaurant, more casual, that you can enjoy on those nights.

For me, "formal" means a long, floor length gown, or very dressy outfit. Something you wouldn't wear any other night! So, if you like to dress up, by all means, do it to the nines! It's great fun.

Jane :)

I always wear a long dress when we're on a ship that has formal nights. Most of the women are also in long dresses. DH wears his tux if it's not too tight (his weight fluxuates) or a dark suit w/ dressy shirt (gold cufflinks) and dark elegant tie.

Thanks everyone, for your replies. I, too, love to wear a floor length and dress DH to the nines. Looking forward to those wonderful cruise nights. We even dress up for dinner on the other nights. Not floor length dresses, but I do wear nice outfits and DH loves his linen slacks with crisp linen, long sleeve shirts.

:) Hi stranger:) so nice to see you again!

By all means, if you want to get all dolled up on formal night...

go for it:D

When and where are you sailing?

For formal evening a floor length dress is always standard, especially if your partner is in a tuxedo. You do not have wear something that looks like a prom dress or a bridesmaid's dress. When asking yourself "Is a long dress the right dress for formal night?" The answer is: "Have you ever seen a Social Hostess or a Captains Wife in a pants suit or short dress on formal night?" The only knee you may see is perhaps when peeking through the slit of the dress.

I think there always has been a double standard in terms of dress for formal. A man will wear a tuxedo, the second most formal thing he can wear next to tails and a woman will wear a little black dress or a cocktail dress with some jewelery.

Women are always worried that they will look like a bridesmaid if they wear a long dress. There are plenty of gorgeous and even "sexy", but tasteful, formal dresses that accommodate all figures. You just have to take a bit of time to shop for them. They also don't cost an arm and a leg. A nice formal dress can be had for under $200.

So, I say go elegant and bring back the gowns to formal night and if you can get your partner to put on a tuxedo you should go for it and put on that beautiful gown and make yourselves the perfect picture of elegance.

Take care,

Mike

I wouldn't care if anyone else sees me but my DH, I will be wearing or trying to find a long formal gown for both nights and probably cocktail dresses on 2 other nights with 1 nice black dress just in case.... so 5 dresses for me! I think my husband might rent a tux for this cruise, since it's our 5 year anniversary! I love to dress up and so does DH.

Hey, JanetMarie....long time no see! Hope you're well. Sure, wear your long dress, you always look great! ;)

:) Hi stranger:) so nice to see you again!

By all means, if you want to get all dolled up on formal night...

go for it:D

When and where are you sailing?

Hi Janet Marie . . . long time/no see! I've always worn long formal "gowns" on formal nights (when I cruised solo) but for my next cruise . . . I'll be wearing two different formal pant suits. Might have something to do with turning 59 in January. :( Both pant suits are very formal, beautiful (at least, I think so) and a tad more comfortable . . . at least for me. Besides, my next cruise will be with my twenty-eight-year-old son who refuses to buy or even rent a tux. He plans to wear his black Armini (or how ever you spell it) suit. He says he paid a fortune for it and plans to wear it on both formal nights! What can I say? I wouldn't care if he wore jeans . . . I'm just so thrilled that he wants to take a cruise with his Mom (it's been fourteen years since we took a cruise together). :)

Hello girls,

I have been off of these boards for a bit, and I have no clue as to what the ladies are wearing for formal night. Are long "gowns" still in? What is the percentage of ladies wearing floor length dresses? 80? 50? 20? Thanks much for your help!

Janet

It's great to see one of the "old crowd" (as in group, not age ;) ) back on these boards again.

I've always worn long dresses on formal nights, but my most recent one, I wore a dressy pants outfit and felt like I fit right in. But, I'd say the majority had on long, dressy dresses, lots of beaded tops, lots of black, pretty much the usual.

Ladycaveat, my husband wore his black suit on our last cruise (just as he always does) and he fit right in. I think it's not just the color, but the cut of the suit and the fabric that makes a difference. His suit would be more appropriate at a wedding, funeral or evening out, rather than at the office. I have no idea why he thinks it's more comfortable than a tuxedo, but we've had the discussion a number of times and it's his preference. I respect his choice and no longer worry a bit about it. I do, however, get to select his shirt and tie :) .

Yes, absolutely - in my books, long elegant gowns for the ladies and tuxes for the men are the best way to go for formal evenings! Formal nights are part of the fun of cruising so why not partake of it, dress for it and look great, take great souvenir pics and have a ball!

DH and I are going on Freedom this December and since it is our anniversary, I have already bought my two formal gowns. If I see any others between now and December, I might also get another or two, or three!!!!! - I attend several formal dinner/dances each year and for me, I can never have too many gowns in my closet.

Although I have never bought on-line, I do check out gowns on-line for the latest style and "in" colours, etc.: go to www.gowns.com for a look-see - have fun surfing!:)

regards,

hooked-on cruising

Why stop wearing a long gown just because you're turning 59 in January? I'll be turning 60 in August, and I intend to go on wearing long gowns because I feel beautiful and elegant in them. I don't think age has anything to do with it.

I'm wearing a dress that is knee length and its beautiful! I feel most comfortable in that length than a floor length dress. I've worn so many of those with past proms and pageants and I want to do something different. It totally has to do with your level of comfort! I do think more women wear the longer length dress. And whichever length you chose your going to look good (no matter the age)!

Hello ladies,

I will be going on my honeymoon cruise on Princess next week. We usually cruise RCI. This will be my 1st Princess cruise. It's a 10 day cruise w/ 2 formal nights. My soon to be DH will wear a suit on both formal nights. I had planned on wearing a strapless, mid calf dress (linen) on the 1st formal night and a floor length gown on the 2nd formal night. Does this sound appropriate? I know on RCI, it would be fine but get the feeling from the Princess boards that Princess is a bit more formal than RCI. What do you think?

Thanks in advance!

So, are you saying that it is inappropriate? And if so, may I wear tuxedo pants and a sparkely shirt?

IMO, tuxedo pants with a sparkly pants is a better choice for a formal night than a linen dress. I consider linen to be casual as well.

Well just to give more description, the dress is white linen with a navy rose print, strapless with a mid calf length. The skirt kind of poofs out a tad and a navy satin ribbon / sash ties in a bow around the waist. I feel that it looks more dressed up than the tuxedo pants and sparkly shirt. I ask this question because it is not a floor length, sequined dress. Do you all still think the pants and top will be more formal or (I guess I should ask) "more appropriate" than the dress? Is neither appropriate? Please let me know. This is why I ask here vs. feel awkward on the cruise.

Thanks!

Archived