Scarlet Lady is two things: classy and fabulous! A review

keels81

DrinkChamps.thumb.jpg.2ecfebe7369335f312650fe3dd97a7ca.jpg

(Spoiler Alert: I did!)

Hi everyone! My name is Keels and I'm just off the Virgin Voyages' Scarlet Lady after a fantastic four-day Fire & Sunset Soirée sailing!

I'd originally planned to do this as a day-by-day review of the trip, but I've got a big #framily reunion coming up on Friday and I'm feeling the crunch, so instead I'll do an aspect by aspect review of the ship and voyage while it's still fresh in my mind!

First up: about me!

Selfie.jpg.945fe5714f8d407f21ed2c8a837b1d56.jpg 

(See, I told you there was champagne!)

I'm a 40-something freelance travel writer/content producer based in the best city in the U.S. -- New Orleans!  Being a southern gal, I don't need much to make me happy -- give me a friendly face, some foodie fun and a good cocktail and I'm all set. Which is why I'd had my eye set on a Virgin cruise for quite a while.

My travels generally include my husband, my mom and my best girlfriends and this cruise would be no different. The husband (we'll call him Mr. Worldwide) and I decided to take my mom on the cruise to celebrate her birthday!

MomCapaBirthday.jpg.a575c39bcf89527f4c3f11a9ec3a49de.jpg

(Isn't she a total Betty?!)

Now that we've all met, let's get down to business. I'm going to break this review up into a few different categories (I'll link them back here as I post them):

* Pre-Cruise Fun (Orlando, Miami and a Michelin star!)

* The Ship

* The Food

* The Fun

* The Ports

* Overall Thoughts

* Who is Virgin Voyages ACTUALLY for

PreCruiseHeader.thumb.jpg.857df5acf8e60ecc7c009da507313563.jpg

Pre-Cruise Fun: Orlando and a Michelin Star

As I said, this cruise would be part of a birthday celebration for my Mom. Her birthday was the 26th, so on the 25th, Mr. Worldwide and I packed up the dogs and our stuff and hit the road for the long, boring drive from New Orleans to Orlando. We usually stay with my Mom for about a month or so (Mother Nature willing, of course ... thanks for last year, Hurricane Ida), so we planned the birthday festivities to coincide with our trip.

After what seemed like an eternity on I-10, we were in Orlando and decamped at her house for the month.

RoadTripPups.jpg.2fabf7720438b6fde475470079f2def1.jpg

Breaux and Belle pay the Puppy Tax. They're good road-tripping doggos.

The Michelin Guide recently launched its first edition focused on Florida, and as luck would have it I had already made reservations for a birthday dinner at the first restaurant in Orlando to receive a Michelin Star -- Capa at the Four Seasons Resort!

Located on the top floor of the resort, Capa boasts views of all the Walt Disney World theme parks ... which would mean fireworks views! Who doesn't love tapas with a side of fireworks?!

A look at the menu:

CapaMenu.jpg.b6994b647011f4511e14aeda5823d99e.jpg

CapaCocktails.thumb.jpg.cc383cb6dd8c7a12da9cd04fe7440ba4.jpg

And a look at our food!

IMG_1894.thumb.JPG.8270675220a0955e5de071b5f9e64797.JPG

In order from top left: marinated olives, gambas, red snapper crudo, pan con tomate with manchego,
West Coast oysters with fresh grated horseradish, and mushrooms with sabayon

IMG_1896.thumb.JPG.77af602754700fb1578f0330d4f09092.JPG

In order from top left: ham croquetas, pork belly, patatas bravas, pulpo, vanilla ice cream In Tawny Port and Chocolate Lava cake

We also ordered a hanger streak (cooked rare), but the two jerks I was dining with (Mr. Worldwide and my Mom) ate all but a small piece of it while I was out watching fireworks. And since any foodie know that "the camera eats first", I'll spare you a picture of a smidgeon of meat on a largely empty plate. Just imagine the most tender, flavorful, well-cooked piece of hanger steak you can imagine and that's it.

Did I mention fireworks? First up was Harmonious at Epcot!

CapaEpcot.thumb.jpg.c862ba16ef9e40a8f78655454581735f.jpg

And then Enchantment at Magic Kingdom!

CapaMK.thumb.jpg.aa90a4143eb3b6749eb77173243dd14e.jpg

Last summer, I was diagnosed with a late-in-life shellfish and mollusk allergy which has been pretty life-crushing for your ole pal Keels. Shrimp, crab and oyster were weekly staples in my diet so going without them has been rough. During dinner, we played the game of "Keels Guesses What it Tastes Like" and our server -- Jenny -- got a real kick out of it. 

As a surprise, before our dessert course, she asked us if we were willing to try something the chef was playing around with as a potential dessert offering -- and being the good foodie guinea pigs (NOT THE KIND YOU EAT OK), of course we said yes!

It was housemade salted vanilla ice cream topped with tawny port -- basically a port affogato, which was perfect foreshadowing of a future dessert on the Scarlet Lady. Let me tell you, this was AMAZING. The salt of the ice cream set off the sweetness of the port and I couldn't get enough. I'm going to start doing this at home when I need a little "treat yo'self" pick-me-up because it was just that decadent and good.

We talked a little bit about the whole Michelin experience and Jenny told us how the head chef had every member that worked in the restaurant during Michelin judging sign the back of the star plaque that hangs in the reception lobby. You could tell it was a total team effort from top to bottom to earn the recognition -- and it was MUCH deserved. 

It doesn't hurt that Capa is an absolutely beautiful dining space.

CapaCeiling.thumb.jpg.c6412ccc173b9e3acd37ff6f574f65f6.jpg

I think my Mom was happy with the fireworks show that Mr. Worldwide and I arranged for her!

MomFireworks.jpg.60239bbae51ed523223fe2cffde9205d.jpg

On our way out, we spotted the display seal recognizing Capa as purveyor of Miyazaki Gyu beef. Pretty cool! 

CapaWaygu.thumb.jpg.0d598c3fc8b3b91b37c7f4a8bfebb0d4.jpg

If you're ever in Orlando for a trip or Disney vacation, definitely put Capa on your must--do list ... even if its just for their STELLAR happy hour on the rooftop patio. Many of the items we had for dinner are featured on the happy hour menu and all are excellent. I'm a Jaleo fan (at Disney Springs), but right now I'd put Capa over Jaleo as the best restaurant in Disney property. 

The 27th was spent packing and running those last few pre-trip errands. And then on the 28th, we dropped the doggos at camp for the week and hit the road to Miami

Edited by keels81

Pre-Cruise Fun: Miami

We hit the Turnpike around 1pm for the 3.5 hour drive down to Miami. Luckily for me, it was a rare time that Mr. Worldwide was behind the wheel ... and I was really glad because it rained HEAVILY for most of the drive.

DriveRain.thumb.jpg.dbe0de98b33d96ca2ff4615eda717a6d.jpg

About 45 miles outside of Miami, the skies cleared and we were welcomed into town with blue sky and white fluffy clouds!

Drive.thumb.jpg.5f3117f977a0cc860fcc5cccbc62fc2b.jpg

Our pre-cruise stay was to be at the Solé Miami in Sunny Isles Beach, a Noble House property. Usually, when Mr. Worldwide or the girls and I visit Miami, we stay in South Beach, Wynwood or Brickell. But my Mom prefers private beach access and The EDITION didn't have any availability, so we decided to try somewhere new.

It was definitely new, and very ... different. Sunny Isles Beach is a beautiful area, but it's definitely residential and there was nothing really close within walking distance. We were also staying on a Tuesday night, so the hotel bar and restaurant was not open and the pool bar closed at 5. This presented a challenge, but we took it head on.

We were staying in a two-bedroom city view suite with actually turned out to be a two-bedroom lock-off (which was actually preferred by us!).

What does that mean? A lock-off means there's one door to a private hallway that has doors to two rooms!

SoleLockOff.thumb.jpg.568221f5a32636ce02da17e41ed2f134.jpg

SoleLiving.thumb.jpg.a879dc726d63a38523108c289b0d05f2.jpg

Living/Kitchenette area of 1906A, the "suite" portion of the two-bedroom lock-off at Solé Miami.

The lock-off had one standard room with a balcony, and one one-bedroom suite with a living area and small kitchenette. Fun fact -- the silver pull-out drawer by the sink? No, it's not a chiller/wine cooler ... it's a dishwasher. Which was curious since there were no actual dishes in the unit except for the two glasses in the bathroom.

A quick look at the areas of the rooms!

SoleOneBed.thumb.jpg.e399130db11de5999c0518e4c6109263.jpg

Both bedrooms had queen beds and were simple, stylish and beachy-bright.

SoleLiving2.thumb.jpg.3c47e55735044fabc7957b48ce9bf5a6.jpg

The living area of the suite had a couch, chair, dresser with TV and two separate balconies.

SoleBathroom.thumb.jpg.d30bb4d6fb383026a433eb61ced1a373.jpg

The bathrooms featured both a rainfall shower and a deep soaking tub.

We decided to head down the street for happy hour and ended up at Il Mulino for wine and cheese, while we mapped out a place for my Mom and Mr. Worldwide to taunt me with seafood and shellfish for dinner.

IlMulino.thumb.jpg.d0ffa08c62dda990cfff856c04356b94.jpg

We were looking for something seafood-y, with a good atmosphere and cocktails and potentially al fresco dining since it was almost sunset. We discovered Juniper on the Water, called a Lyft and we were on our way!

It really is a beautiful space with a great cocktail and wine list. If you're staying in a more residential area of Miami, I would definitely recommend a visit! A look at our food:

TunaNachos.thumb.jpg.dc36d7f7bf880d82eb113380c57fc115.jpg

Ahi Tuna Nachos -- these were an off-menu special and were insanely delicious. 

JuniperOysters.thumb.jpg.90ba518be9a176c3bf63ae007968262d.jpg

Dozen oysters -- Mom and Mr. Worldwide opted for a mix of the East, West and Gulf oyster of the day.

ClamsJuniper.thumb.jpg.a2fa1a452ddc28b450b5cf271a088d14.jpg

Chorizo and clam linguine, finished in a white wine cream sauce.

MusselsJuniper.thumb.jpg.a0d8ef61bfa433c3197de9ebb9fa4662.jpg

Steamed mussels also finished in a white wine-cream sauce

MashedJuniper.thumb.jpg.db2dfd02c7659ce6e68162bea0cfa9f9.jpg

My mashed potatoes because I was being a jealous, pouty, brat.

Another quick Lyft back to the Solé, where my Mom and I settled in for the night -- Mr. Worldwide opted to go dive-bar hopping for a bit.

I made sure all my documents were saved and at the ready and tried to close my eyes. I was mere hours away from CRUISE DAY.

CRUISEDAY.thumb.JPG.26d76149e2b433f6c6b7b6e2051434d3.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...