A Journey to the Last Frontier: Serenade of the Seas Alaskan Itinerary Review

25 minutes ago, Travel R said:

C2. Free WiFi Connectivity

My family made use of the Internet when we sailed closer to port, and for Juneau, Sitka, and Ketchikan, we received a Wi-Fi signal a few miles out of each location while still on the ship (so you do not need to wait until closer in to a port, and when close I tested the strength of the signal.

Just to not confuse others, I assume you meant land based cell phone signal, not Wi-Fi.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Travel R said:

L. Review of Compass

Not sure if I should have opened this section with a discussion of the all-informative Compass, or not, but here it lies. As most of you know, the Compass is a short newsletter that provides the day’s happenings (activities, entertainment, etc.) taking place throughout the ship.

This four-page booklet is extremely helpful. Since it is provided the previous evening, you can plan the following day. You can ascertain where you will need to be, and at what times, and in the obverse, determine what you will be missing due to these already-selected activities.  The Compass differs from the Royal App. Events, entertainment, etc., are displayed separately by time for that day only. In contrast, in the App a person can see what activities are available for a specific category, in addition to the days and times it will be available; but you cannot easily view each activity to compare it with other activities occurring on that day. 

I personally find it much easier to plan my day using the Compass (until the App can be formatted in a similar fashion). FYI, when the cruise industry emerged from the pandemic, RCI was withholding physical copies of the Compass unless it was specifically requested by the passenger to the stateroom attendant. Luckily, this was not the case on our cruise, nor had I heard of any instances on the Serenade during past sailings (I made a request for two copies to be provided each day).

[Tip: Many passengers make sure to pack a highlighter, marker, or pen so they can mark-up the Compass to make it easier for them to plan their days. I have brought a pen and highlighter on the past several cruise, but I have yet marked up my daily schedule with either of these writing implements.]

Besides the information on activities and entertainment, the Compass also provides information about the various venues such as dining, shopping, and ship’s services, including phone numbers (extensions). The Compass is also used as a means of advertisement, notifying passengers about sales and deals going on around the ship (e.g., one to be on the lookout for is the day of the laundry sale).

[Note: The Compass is printed two days in advance, so it will not reflect any last-minute changes.] I prefer the format of the Compass-type newsletter on Carnival (Fun Times), the pertinent activity information is perforated making it easier to cut out and take with you, instead of having to take the entire booklet.

One very important item on the Compass I would like to point out is the Port Agent Contact information. [Forgot to add this in the prior post.]

This is important information that is often overlooked and ignored. Note that the contact information for local law enforcement is also printed below this as well. Hopefully none of us will ever have need for this information, but it is good to know where to quickly find it. Either remember to take the Compass with you and/or photograph the information the information on your Cell Phone.

[Since I currently do not have any cruises pending, I am unsure if this info is even included in the Royal App. (could someone please confirm).]

x020.jpeg

11 hours ago, RCS2cruise said:

Thank you Travel R for this very comprehensive review.  We will be on Serenade to Alaska in a few weeks, so it’s good to know what to expect.  Much appreciated.

My Pleasure.

Sorry about the delay in posting the photos that correlate to my last review post, but without further ado . . . .

Looking upward in the Centrum

19th Century stylings of the Safari Club

Sound and light boards (Tropical Theater)

Tropical Theater (off-centered)

Coffee for the sleepless (~6 AM outside the Windjammer; and already a short line)

The Mighty Serenade

P1030820.JPG

P1030824.JPG

P1030860.JPG

P1030861.JPG

P1030881.JPG

P1040014.JPG

Edited by Travel R
  • Like 1

More photos . . .

Ladies, close your eyes . . .  the men's WC

Chillin in the Solarium

The Solarium Sky Dome

One of many pieces of artwork from around the ship

Walkin' the corridors

Vertigo . . . a Bird's eye view of the Centrum

P1040193.JPG

P1040197.JPG

P1040198.JPG

P1040389.JPG

P1040395.JPG

P1040552.JPG

Edited by Travel R

A. Colorful Description

The unseasonable warmth of the day did not hinder us from our objective. We were on a mission to see one of the seven seas’ most wonderous of creatures, the gargantuan of the sea, the whale. Our small but mighty ship and the determination of our fierce captain took us past majestic snow-covered mountains, tree-lined islands, vast valleys of green, and the sparkle of blue ice from a magnificent crystal-like glacier in the land beyond.

Calls on the radio were received that our quarry had been spotted. The boat made a quick turn left and we sped towards a blurry point off in the horizon known only to the captain’s eyes.  As we approached other explorers were already gathers, all eyes set about searching for our prey.

Off to the port bow one of our fellow traveler’s pointed, and a spout of water was observed being released over the water’s surface. Stories of these great mammals and the words “there she blows” came flooding into my memories.  I was now experiencing what I had only before read in the tales of Melville, Conrad, and Hemingway. This swimming monstrosity took partial shape. First part of its darkened body could be seen, then a large tail with white markings came into view.  But then, to our equal astonishment, a smaller fin was also in sight.  We lucked upon not just a whale for observance, but this was a mother and her calf.

Myself and my compatriots were alight with glee and cheer.  While the cow would occasionally blow water out of its great head, then dive out of sight, her babe was a lot more playful, swimming atop the waves in play. Our goal had been reached, but the journey was not yet complete.

We sailed to another region of the bay and happened upon seals at play.  They seemed like children, playing king of the hill, with only the largest able to retain their stay upon the float. After watching their ruckus for a while we began to sail back, happening upon our former mammalian targets, even seeing porpoise swimming towards their own destination. Our eagle-eyed captain then spotted something great and dangerous – on the shore not far away a Brown Bear was sitting on the beach, most likely watching the great sea monsters and the foolish humans upon our floating islands,

All good things must come to an end.  Our adventure for the day had come to an end and we sailed back to the marina with smiles upon our faces and memories that will forever be etched upon our minds.

[Clarification: Hemmingway is known for writing about a marlin than a whale in his epic sea-faring tale of the “Old Man and the Sea.” However, his description of the ocean’s majesty is the image I had conjured in my mind when first seeing that magnificent creature.]

B. Ports, Sights & Excursions

This is the part that many of you were probably waiting for, the discussion and review of the ports, our excursions, and attractions visited by the ship (i.e., Tracy Arm and the glaciers).

I will review each one in turn. First the ports, then the other areas our ship visited.  So that these posts are not tremendously long, I will break them down by each individual site. At the end of this section, I will disclose which was my favorite, but as you read along, try to decide which is yours from my descriptions or from your previous journeys to the Last Frontier.

Because the description for each of the ports is a tad long, I have decided to break them up so that they are better digestible by you, the reader.

Note on Planning for Alaskan Excursions

I had discussed (in great deal) the planning of excursions for this Alaskan cruise.  You can read all about it here. But, I'll try to provide a few pointers here:

1) First off . . . Many Alaskan excursions are EXPENSIVE. Not just a little more expensive compared to a Caribbean-tpe cruise. I am talking over $500 US per person expensive.

2) In contrast . . . . you do not need to go on a paid excursion to enjoy Alaska, or there are a number of "cheaper" options

3) Do some research on your ports and what are it's highlights, it may make it easier for you decide (or at least narrow down your choices).

4) You do not need to pay for one of the ship's excursions.  There are third party options (via the Internet, or in some ports, booths for tours are right on the port).  You can DIY (Do It Yourself) - that is, explore roam around the ports yourself. We did all three options - RCI excursion, 3rd Party, and DIY (although the RCI excursion was cheaper than the exact same one from the independent party).

5) I have attached a spreadsheet with my research into the excursions available in the various ports we were visiting on our itinerary.  Note that there is not much on Juneau since we pretty much had known we were going to whale watching (which Juneau is known for).

6) We had decided to go DIY in Sitka - it is a very walkable city full of history, culture, and nature. I have attached a walking tour of Sitka (and map), if you wish to go that route.

7) Whatever you chose to do in Alaska will be the best choice. There are so many amazing things to do and see - and you cannot do or see everything, so enjoy what it is you chose to do.  If travelling with your family (or a party of people), discuss it among yourselves and vote on what will be best for all.

8 ) Let me know if you have any questions.

Up Next . . . A Walk Through Sitka

Alaska Research Activities Excursions.xlsx SitkaWalkingTourDetails.pdf Sitka Walking Map.pdf

C1. Port of Sitka, Alaska; The Excursion: A DIY Walk of Historic Sitka

a. On Sitka . . . .

I believe that Sitka was the perfect port to begin our Alaskan adventure.  Sitka was first part of the territory of the Tlingit (the indigenous people from Southeastern Alaska), and the town is rich in its history, including an overview and deeper insight of their history and the totem poles they created at the Sheldon Jackson Museum and Sitka National Historical Park. Sitka has the unique claim to being the capital of Alaska under Russian rule during the 1800s (known as New Archangel). Museums, such as the Russian Bishop House provides a great amount of information on the Russian history in the area. The early history of America in the area is also well represented, in fact the site where Alaska was sold to America is located near the downtown.

Besides all of this history, this port provides a good introduction to the wildlife of Alaska. Besides seeing animals and birds in plain sight while exploring the town (and maybe even a whale), you can ensure seeing American Bald Eagles at the Raptor Center and Bears at the Fortress of the Bear. Note that although Sitka was the capital, the city is not located on the mainland, but offshore on Baranof Island.

Our ship docked at the port approximately 5 miles from downtown and since we were not taking a (paid) ship excursion for the day, we rode the free shuttle to the downtown area, which we boarded at the end of the pier and ultimately let us off outside of Harrington Centennial Hall. [Tip: Remember to take your Sea Pass and government issued ID when you leave the ship. You will need the Sea Pass to leave the ship and both documents to return.] Although I have read some reviews that complained about long lines for the shuttle, there was almost no line going to town and virtually nonexistent on our return (waiting about 2 minutes for the next bus to come around).

I have attached the walking tour which we had the pleasure of experiencing [based on an existing tour map provided by Sitka) in an an above post.  I added a few places to the original map, and included a spreadsheet that provides a summary of each area (including hours, fees, and addresses).  Note after lunch we were pretty wiped out, and did not visit the last few places I had included on my list.

It is worth mentioning that it was an absolutely gorgeous day. The sky looked cloudy during the morning hours, and was worried we would have poor visibility. However, the milky covering dissipated as the morning wore on. For most of the day, a few friendly clouds appeared sky, but brought with them a blue background as a gift which we were able to appreciate the whole day through. Wherever you looked there was beauty around every corner. The temperature was in the mid- to upper-60s (18-19 degrees Celsius), which made it a perfect day to walk around and explore.

I am not going to describe every single site we visited, but I have included a few of our Sitka highlights. . . .

b. Harrigan Centennial Hall & Sitka Historical Museum

An aesthetically pleasing architectural convention center in the center of the downtown with a spectacular panorama of the bay, mountains, and island in the background.  It is also where the shuttle bus drops off it's day's adventurers (and subsequently picks you up) [Tip: There are very clean public bathrooms within the building, which may be of note to begin your day’s adventure, or to access before the shuttle back to the ship.] If you have any questions, a information booth lies within. I took the opportunity to talk to the young woman at the desk and she was very knowledgeable.

The exhibits along the walks displayed historical photos in addition to Native American items along with descriptive placards that provided an overview and history of the indigenous people of this area.

Although the building is advertised as also housing the Sitka Historical Museum.  Either we missed it, or the exhibits that line its halls (and the meeting and conference rooms) is the museum itself (something I did not ask, although a logical presumption).

c. Russian Bishop’s House

We arrived at the Russian Bishop’s House at 9 AM just as the Park Ranger was opening the front gate. The House is located a short walk away and across the street from the Center. Although this location opens its doors at 9, the (free) tours of the upstairs area do not begin until 9:30 (and can only be accessed with a tour guide). We decided that we would just walk through the downstairs ourselves, and maybe return late in the afternoon if we had time.

The exhibits within the downstairs of the house were interesting, detailing the lives of the early Russian inhabitants in Sitka, and the power and position of the Russian Orthodox Church during that time. This museum (like most in town) was not very large and took us less than a half hour to walk through, which included viewing a short film.

[Note: There was a public bathroom.]

Maybe not spellbinding, but I can describe it as an engrossingly quick stop that will provide it's visitors with an understanding of the Russian’s rule in this region, until they sold all of Alaska to the Americans for 2 cents an acre.

d. Sheldon Jackson Museum

As a history buff and also having an interest in Native American history (I began to study the history and culture back when I was a young Boy Scout, although focusing more on the indigenous people of the Northeast and North Central regions of the US.).  This museum included a profusion of artifacts (and an incredible amount of Alaskan history (from all regions of the state). Within the small space artifacts of all sizes, shapes, and colors were displayed in cases, hung on the walls, and in laid out in drawers; we spent between 45 minutes and an hour going through their exhibits. I could have spent more, but my family was more than finished after a half hour (although they did find it interesting) and wanted to continue with our Sitka adventure. 

I also spent about 10 minutes discussing some of the cultural and ideological comparisons between the Nations of Alaska compared to those of the Northeast with the museum's curator. As mentioned, I could have spent a great deal more time browsing through the artifacts, but there was a lot more to see during the day’s journey.

e. Walk along the Shore

Between the Heritage Center and the Sitka National Park a maintained pedestrian walkway was the main thoroughfare through the area, which included benches, parks, public restroom, and other sights (museums and a marina) with some beautiful views throughout. One small item of note is a tree and plaque dedicated to George Washington by a local chapter of the Masons.  [I saw many indications of the freemasons having a strong influence in Alaska in various ports (it’s a connection I plan on investigating at some point).]

If you have young children, there is a wonderful little park, where I spied monkey bars, swings, etc. that I know my DDs would have enjoyed when they were young.  We decided not to visit the Sitka Sound Science Center; from what I had researched, unless you take one of their private tours (which were 3+ hours), the center itself is set up more to educate younger children.

f. Sitka National Historic Park

The visitor center provides visitors with an informative overview of the culture and history of the Tlingit Nation, with various exhibits including totem inside the building. We were also lucky to arrive when a “Porch-side Talk” was beginning and then listened to a Park Ranger discussing the various totem in the Park. She went into detail into the symbolism depicted on the totem poles and took time to answer all questions raised; we found it to be a very interesting and informative talk. [Note: there is a public bathroom in the center.] If you call or write the Park Department beforehand, they may be able to give you a schedule of their talks so you can schedule your visit accordingly.

After listening to the lecture and exploring the building we headed into the park itself, following the trails which brought us to a number of different totems standing within the fields of trees, the original site of the fort (it’s just a field now) where the Tlingit fought the Russians in 1804, and also took us along the shore for some more beautiful scenery (you can't get away from it). 

The highlight of the walk, however, was watching an American bald eagle perched on a branch less than 20 feet above us enjoying a meal. I have to say that watching this an Eagle in person is astounding. It was just amazing to see such an iconic bird so close.  We were lucky to spot a few more eagles while we were hiking the trail, but none in such a proximity again in nature.

It is a fairly easy level walk for those interested in seeing the park.  The trail also leads you out to the main road, which is in the vicinity of the Raptor Center; which is what we did. [Note: There is a very old restroom/outhouse located along the trail.]

g. Raptor Center

Another highlight of the day was our visit to the Raptor Center. After leaving the trails which veered off to the highway, the Raptor Center is across the street and to the left [Tip: use the walkway across the street at that point, there is no real path across the rough and grass across from the Raptor Center itself. Also note, if you have difficulty walking, there is a long include up the hill from the street to the center, so just beware.]

When we arrived at the site (after paying the entrance fee), we joined a large group of large tour busses and smaller “private” tours. Along with this large group, we listen to a lecture on “raptors” – which are defined as birds that prey on other wildlife, such as eagles, hawks, and owls. We were then led into the training room where we watched birds that were being rehabilitated flying across a long room.

The third place we were brought was a large room/auditorium with multiple chairs set up facing the front. Someone got up and spoke about eagles for a few minutes, then introduced the star of the show; another member of the staff brought out an eagle where we were able to learn more anout this magnificent creature while watching one that was living and up-close (as a bonus - at one point it voluntarily opened it wings to give us an idea of its immense wingspan).

Lastly, outside the building (there is also a gift shop (besides wildlife and raptor items, it sells drinks, but the only food is popcorn) and a bathroom) there are little enclosures with additional rehabilitating raptors, including more eagles.  One staff member was outside with a white snow owl and providing information about the wonderous raptor before her.

h. Walk Back to Town and Lunch

At this point we were becoming tired and hungry (and even a bit warm). We decided to walk back to town and get something to fill our stomachs. On the way back we passed by a few notable places, which I pointed out to my fellow travelers and provided a quick summary of each, such as the Sitka Cemetery, Baranof Hill/Castle (where the purchase of Alaska was signed), the Pioneer House, the site of the original chapter of the Alaska Native Brotherhood, and a few other locations of interest.

Our destination to cure our hunger was the Mean Queen restaurant. One of our family vacation traditions (which began before I contracted my allergy to cheese; and is not limited to cruises) has been to eat pizza from whatever location we have visited – over the years this has included multiple states and countries.  I chose Mean Queen because according to online reviews, it served the best pizza in Sitka. 

After walking up the stairs (it’s located on the second floor), it looks like a bar/restaurant with stools for the bar itself and a pool table off to the side), and by the looks of many of its patrons, was probably a local haunt when the tourists are not in town; although the crowd that day looked like a mix, including what I believe to be a large group of staff from one of the ships. The restaurant was busy when we arrived, and it was obvious that they were short-staffed, so we had to wait a few minutes to be seated. At that point, we were not going anywhere, so we waited.

The restaurant was warm (like most of Alaska, they were not used to this hot weather), but it had a good vibe and we were sat by a window with a great view. My DW and the girls thought the pizza was “okay,” but they were hungry.  I ordered the mandarin orange wings (they serve a big portion), which were also “okay.” [Which lived up to my expectations, but the hunger was abated.] Their menu was not very large, but included a decent variety of pizza choices, in addition to a decent variety of beers.

[Tip: there were plenty of small food vendors around the downtown area (closer to the water) which looked very tempting – and probably a quicker (and cheaper) option if you wanted something to snack on if you did not want to sit down and be served.]

i. Fortress of the Bear

The one site that we did not get to visit was the Fortress of the Bear, located 5 miles in the opposite direction out of town.  Those that visited the Fortress enjoyed it, and the lady at the info center said that it was possible to get cabs between the Raptor Center and the Fortress, but as stated, we did not try (and did not see any in the parking lot of the Center when we were there). It would have been nice, but talking to a fellow New Yorker that recently visited the Fortress, they commented that if you have been to the Bear exhibit at the Bronx Zoo (which is designed to look like their natural habitat; I’ve been there a few times and it is designed very nicely), it is almost the same thing; you know that the four bears you are watching are caged, just as in the zoo. But still would have like to see it – maybe next time!

Quick note, I would have also liked to have seen the old Russian Orthodox Cemetery. No biggie, but it is on the never-ending list of places in the world I would like to one day visit.

j. Back to the Ship

Worn from a long day and early afternoon of walking, after our meal we decided we had enough sightseeing, and would like to return to the ship. On the return walk to the shuttle, I  pointed out St. Michael’s Cathedral and the Sitka Lutheran Church, as well as Harry Race Pharmacy, which is supposed to serve good ice cream, but my group of adventurers was exhausted (my DD17 even turned down ice cream, which is a very, very rare occurrence).

When we arrived back at the Harrington center for a shuttle bus back, we had just missed a bus.  However, another came within moments, where we quickly went aboard and were heading back to the pier (5 miles, about a 12-minute drive).

We clocked a little over 6 ½ miles over the scenic Sitka roads (on my GPS watch) measured from the shuttle drop-off point to our return at the Heritage Center later that afternoon. Although a tiring day, it was an amazing day with the family. Later in the trip I inadvertently discovered that my kids actually do listen to me. In Sitka, I provided some info on the Pioneer Home we passed and the network of homes – when we passed by another facility in Juneau, my daughter recalled some of the information I had provided earlier.

The walk back is about an 1/8th of a mile from the shuttle stop to the ship, as mentioned earlier (the walk to the ship is on a decline) – make sure you have your Sea Pass card and your government issue ID ready – they will look at your ID (some security personnel will harder than others – and may ask you to remove your hat (if wearing one)). You will also need to pass through security screening, so all metal items are to be put into containers and passed through x-ray machine. So be ready to take off your belt and empty your pockets. Note, that one day I forgot that I had a mostly finished bottle of soda in the outside band of my backpack, but they did not have remove it/throw it out (you are not supposed to bring liquids back onto the ship); I am not sure if they even noticed it.

K. In Sum . . . .

Besides experiencing lovely weather and temperature during our visit, it provided a great experience to introduce us to Alaska.  We learned great deal about the history of the Last Frontier, in addition to observing some amazing sights. Compared to the other two ports, Sitka seemed more like a town than a commercial tourist trap. We saw historical sites, learned about the culture of the indigenous people, walked through the historical park, saw raptors, both in-nature and up-close at the Raptor center, and even partook in our family tradition of eating pizza . . . all with the panorama of the Alaskan wilderness in the background.

It was a fabulous day!

[Tip: Although this DIY excursion could have been had for free, because I paid for admission fees for several attractions, plus dined in a local establishment, it did cost $ (x4).  Be aware that entrance fees could be between $5 per person to $15-$20).  The cost of a pizza lunch, was also comparatively more expensive than the contiguous US. But as I mentioned, many places could be visited for free, and there is also lunch back on the ship.]

There were 2400 people sailing along with us on the Serenade. I am sure if you went around and asked them to describe their day in Sitka, everyone would have an amazing tale to tell, but each one would be different.  What will your story be?

Up Next . . . . The Whales of Juneau

Edited by Travel R

More pictures from Sitka (2)

• Harrigan Centennial Hall
  • The town of Sitka with Volcano (Mt. Edgecumbe) in the background [the low cloud covering actually adds to the beauty and mystique of the picture]
  • Totem at Sitka Historical National Park and inside the visitor's Center
  • Panoramic view along the shore

P1030896.JPG

P1030920.JPG

P1030929.JPG

P1030931.JPG

P1030934.JPG

P1030937.JPG

P1030946.JPG

Edited by Travel R
  • Like 1

Sitka Photos (3)

• The Eagle perched in tree above us (~15-18 feet) and another in the field
  • A stream we passed during our travels
  • Two eagles and a snow owl at the Raptor Center

P1030950.JPG

P1030955.JPG

P1030958.JPG

P1030971.JPG

P1030978.JPG

P1030981.JPG

Edited by Travel R
  • Like 1

And more photos from Sitka (4) . . .

• Sitka Blarney Stone
  • Pioneer Hall
  • Mountain looking over streets of Sitka
  • Cathedral
  • Last look at Sitka with mountains in the background
  • Back to the Serenade

P1030992.JPG

P1030996.JPG

P1040002.JPG

P1040005.JPG

P1040008.JPG

P1040012.JPG

Edited by Travel R
  • Like 1

C2. Port of Juneau, Alaska; Excursion = Whale Watching

a. Choosing and Booking the Whale Watching Excursion

When I began researching excursion opportunities in Alaska, whale watching was at the top of almost every website’s list.  When I researched which port would be the best for such an activity, Juneau was also at the top of the list – where it is almost guaranteed that visitors will see a whale.

From the start, I knew that we will be whale watching in Juneau; in fact, prior to disseminating my family with other options I had put the idea into their heads. When we discussed other options, I heavily argued for whale watching in Juneau. No, this does not seem very Democratic [isn’t that how governments are run?], but in the long run, I (I mean we) made the correct decision.  However, it was not very hard to get them to acquiesce.

For most of my life I eked out my existence in a concrete jungle. Even after 10 years of living out in suburbia I still get excited when I see our local wildlife such as deer, foxes, wild turkeys, and woodchucks. Years ago, I took a whale watching tour out of Montauk, Long Island.  In four hours, the only marine life we spotted was a Mola Mola (ocean sunfish); there was not even a hint of a whale that day. We did receive a discount on a future tour, but how many times are we going to drive all the way out to Montauk?

When I began searching for a boat/tour company to provide the whale watching services, I went directly to the undisputed source of information for this type of inquiry . . . . Cruise Critic (more specifically, the Alaska boards).

I researched  threads both old and new and asked questions to the distinguished people on the Board.  Whereas the names of a few parties’ continued to be mentioned as being top-notch, I finally went with Jayleen’s Alaska  - Juneau Whale Watching. The reason being: (1) they had smaller boats (maximum of 6 passengers) and (2) the company is female owned and operated. I like the feeling of a small boat in comparison to a larger vessel where there may be many other passengers that I need to elbow (or will elbow me and my family) for a better viewing spot. My DD’s are growing to become strong and independent women in their own right, but I still like to show them other women who have achieved success, especially in areas that are not usually female centric (when you think boat captain, are you thinking male or female).

I made first contact with them in November (via email), and although I had no communication in December (they were closed), by early January I booked the excursion for my family after asking one very important question – do they have a restroom on the ship? The answer is yes, they do (small, but functional).

After making my final payment a few weeks prior, they sent me the confirmation of a location to meet (in the parking lot crosswalk on the pier) and notified me that I should be expecting a dark colored van.  The spot was very easy to find, located at the far end of the port (where all of the other excursions met, including those for the ship). We were easy to discern their van when it pulled into the parking lot. All the over excursion vans were white – so it stood out.

b. Captain Jayleen Knows Juneau

It was Jayleen herself that was chauffeuring the van (and was to also double our ship’s captain). After entering the van she immediately turned on the air conditioning, which she said was rare and further exclaimed her dislike of the hot weather (she is a fourth-generation Juneauvian). Having lived here her whole life, she provided a historical, cultural, and economical commentary on the town and the general area as we made our way to the marina where her boat was docked.

She also pointed out the geographic features and wildlife we drove passed – including few bald eagles (both on the way to the marina and during our return).

c. Whales, Bears, and Seals, Oh My!

The boat was clean and sailed steadily (there was almost no waves at all – with the mirror-like waters only shattered by the wake from larger ships once or twice). Through a network interconnecting with other ship captains she was able to locate a whale very quickly. On the way to the viewing spot, she stopped for a few moments so we could take in a nice view of the Mendenhall Glacier (and allow for some nice photos), but we were soon again off to the reason for this excursion – to see whales.

Along the way, and after our safety briefing, Captain Jayleen provided us with information about the bay we were sailing, whales, and other marine life.  She was very knowledgeable – I even asked her if she had a degree in marine biology (she does not, but has been doing this, and involved in various projects for a number of years, so has gained a great deal of knowledge along the way).

It was not very long until we arrived at a spot where a few other drifting boats forming a circle were out in the water.  We joined the group when soon a spout of water shot up in the air followed by the sight of a whale (or two).  Although it may be a wonderous sight to see a whale breach or seeing most of the body of a whale, most sightings are only of a part of the mammal – usually a fin or a tail (as my photos depict).  Also due to Federal law, a boat cannot sail within 100 yards of the whales (although it is okay if the whale approaches the boat). That being said – it was an amazing experience to see. 

We were surprised with a bonus – we saw two whales. Both a mom and her playful calf were spotted splashing around in the water (I believe Jayleen said their names were Barnacle and Limpet (I typed the names into my cell phone and not sure if autocorrect mis-spelled what I had typed)). The calf was being very mischievous, so we were able to catch multiple glimpses of each time it emerged from the cold waters below.

We spent some being mesmerized by these watching the whales when Jayleen provided us with three options:  to remain at our current location, seek out other whales (at that moment she did not have any leads) or she could take us to see seals, which was almost guaranteed. We unanimously decided on the later option.

We chose correctly and struck gold. There were a few very active seals viewed on a buoy. They were playing a king-of-the-hill (king of the buoy) type “game” where some of the smaller seals were trying to get a place on top and knock off the larger bulls sunning on top. We cheered as a smaller seal made its way atop, although it was kicked off moments later to the sound of our disheartened sighs.

The day was getting late and Jayleen heading back towards the marina, but took us for one more peek at mom and her babe. During our sail back we saw a porpoise going on its merry way (twice).  By the time we returned to the whales they had moved closer to shore. We struck gold once again, the eagle eyes of Jayleen picked out a brown bear on the shore.  We all turned our binoculars towards the area she pointed out (FYI – she supplied high-powered auto-focus binoculars for all of us).

It was another fantastic encounter to add to the many we had already experienced that day. However, at that distance, even with the binoculars, I could not ascertain many details . . . in man ways it seemed like a big blob.

[Side story: I have had the unique experience of being within 8 feet of a live bear while hiking in Pennsylvania. I was walking with two friends.  A big bear walked out onto the trail directly in front of us.  She saw us and stopped and we froze.  A moment later a cub walked past her (ignoring us).  When the cub had entered the woods on the other side of the path, momma looked in the direction of the cub, looked at us, looked back at the cub, and followed, leaving us very relieved. But I had no fear, I was faster than the two people I was with.]

FYI, besides the binoculars, our captain provided us with a few light snacks (cookies, crackers, trail mix, etc.) in addition to soda (regular and sugar free) and water.

After watching the bear and whales a little longer, the hour had struck the time for our return. Our time was done for the day and we sailed back to the marina enjoying the scenery, followed by the bus ride back to town.  During our return (while still in the boat), she supplied us with a nice little parting gift – photos she had taken of wildlife (she is a talented photographer). She also provided more commentary about the area while driving us back, and she left us off smack in middle town so we could take a look around.

d. A Walk in Juneau

The town of Juneau can easily be described as being touristy (at least the downtown area we were in). To envision what it was like, close your eyes, picture Caribbean ports with many shops hawking cheap souvenirs and jewelry, but just picture the shops with an Alaskan motif. However, we did not receive any requests asking my family if they want their hair braided. I cannot deny that we had purchased jewelry (especially watches) during some of our early cruises to the islands. At the time we did not have the added expense of children, so we had money to spend on such “luxury” items.

We rode the shuttle as the means of transportation for returning to the dock from town.  Note that I observed a ticket booth in the morning selling shuttle tickets ($5) when we walked along the to connect to our excursion van.  No similar booth was in view near the bus stop in town that afternoon. We boarded the bus and were not asked to surrender any tickets.  The port was only about a mile away, so not a long walk (and would have been downhill on the way back, in case we decided to walk or a ticket was needed (and not to be found)).

e. Summary of the Day

Overall, this was an absolutely fantastic day.  It was a unique experience that myself and my family have ever had a chance to see or do. As I had mentioned, even going whale watching out of NY, I never saw a whale (and even as a former New Yorker, I will admit that the background in Alaska is 100 times as breathtaking). Jayleen and her organization was well run with great communication. Jayleen was a great tour guide as well as skipper and took care to provided us with a great experience.    

I would very strongly recommend Jayleen’s Alaska for those looking for an awesome whale watching experience. [She currently has two boats in her fleet that go out on these excursions.]

What an unforgettable day!

Up Next . . . . Ketchikan Off-Road Adventure

• Like 1

Photos from Juneau and our Whale Watching Experience

• A look out the aft
  • As part of our informational talk, we were shown what the whale eat
  • Random shot of our surrounding while looking out for our mammalian friends
  • Three photos of the whales (or parts of them) - the last shows both mom and calf.  Unfortunately, I did not get better photos, but the sights are in my memory.

P1040090.JPG

P1040103.JPG

P1040104.JPG

P1040120.JPG

P1040121.JPG

P1040118.JPG

Edited by Travel R

Photos from the non-commercial side of Juneau (3):

• A look back at the bay (from top of the dock)
  • Flowers - the smaller beauty of Alaska
  • Coming back to Port
  • Various photos from around the town of Juneau

P1040155.JPG

P1040158.JPG

P1040160.JPG

P1040162.JPG

P1040163.JPG

P1040165.JPG

P1040168.JPG

P1040174.JPG

Edited by Travel R
  • Like 1

I have placed a lot of photos on this page and do not want it to take too long to load, so I am going to leave the next few posts open to answer questions or receive any comments/suggestions about my review and cruising to Alaska or the Serenade. In the coming days I will be uploading a number of photos of the Tracy Arm and the three glaciers we experienced, so don't want to overload this page.

Once this thread falls over to the next page [Page 7], I'll continue on with the review, picking up in Ketchikan. 

Also, how do you like this format - combining the various elements of the cruise (Breakfast, excursions, the ship, etc.) into their own parts, and discussing them together, where things like ALL breakfasts are discussed together - as opposed to the usual Day-by-Day summary. [Looking forward: After I complete the excursions (and glaciers) section of my review, I will be discussing lunch, evening activities, dinner, etc.).]

I also have a question for you - I have not yet submitted (or even written) a review for the general review of the Serenade.  How should I score the cruise?  It was an absolutely amazing journey and would give it a 5.0 (or more) because of elements of the week, such as the excursions. On the other hand, The food and entertainment would detract from that score if based solely on the Ship itself.  I am narrowed between a 4.0 and 5.0 as my options. What would you do?  As for me, I will be scoring the cruise a 5.0 because, as I mentioned, it was an amazing experience overall and the few "issues" did not impact myself or my family where we did not have a great time. However, I will reflect these items in the scores for the individual aspects of the cruise where we are asked to rank food, entertainment, cabins, etc.

Thanks for you input, and I will answer any questions as soon as I can . . .

Crickets.

I guess I'll have to fill up these next few posts with a few random thoughts. So off the top of my head . . .

Alaskan Cruise vs. Other Cruises

One thing that became very obvious early on in the planning of this cruise is that Alaskan cruises are different.  Different than the European cruises we have embarked upon (Baltics and Mediterranean) and a lot different than sailing to the Caribbean, Mexico, Bermuda, or (Eastern) Canada.

From ship, to itinerary, to weather, planning for an Alaskan cruise has its own unique qualities.

Itinerary

When looking for itineraries in different parts of the world, each cruise line will (for the most part) stop at the same major ports in the area you are looking at. Even when doing a Caribbean cruise, the ports may vary, but with no disrespect to the individual island nations, stopping at one port for tourists is the same as the next.  On the other hand, when someone says they were on an Alaskan cruise, it could mean a variety of different things. 

·       Did they begin in Seward and visit Denali?

·       Did they do a Northbound or a Southbound? 

·       Did they sail out of Seattle or Vancouver (which adds cruising the Inner Passage to its voyagers, but for non-Canadians adds an extra level of scrutiny).

·       Did they see Hubbard or Glacier National Park? [or both]

·       In what towns/cities did they port?

·       What Arms did they sail down?

There are many wonderfully different ways to experience Alaska. None are wrong, and if you ask travelers to each what they thought, they will each exclaim that theirs was the best.

Cruise Ship

[The discussion here and elsewhere in this post is restricted to mainstream liners – smaller luxury ships are a whole different animal.]

The ship selected could provide a different experience from one Alaskan visitor to the next.  Does the ship have an indoor pool to be enjoyed when the weather outside is cold?  Are there viewing areas to visually experience such magnificent sites as the glaciers?  Is the ship outward facing?

Most importantly is the size of the ship.  While larger ships usually include all of the bells and whistles that at smaller ship cannot, smaller ships have access to more ports than their large cousins and may be able to get closer to various sites.

Cruise Line

I know that this is an RCI board – and all the Ra-Ra Royal that sh . . .stuff goes on over here, but let’s face it, all the mainstream cruise lines are more similar than not. 

HOWEVER, when it comes to Alaska, there is a difference that may matter.  Some cruise lines have a license to sail to see certain areas that others do not.  For instance, RCI does not have permission to visit Glacier National Park, whereas some other cruise lines do.

Time of Year to Sail

For most of us, we sail based on our personal schedules.  For many ports there may be a some differences in the temperature of our desired location (e.g., Caribbean), or in the case of the Mediterranean – what shade of hot can we bear to endure. Or we may try to avoid busy times and school holidays (to avoid all those nasty little devils sometimes affectionately referred to to as children). 

Alaska has a very short period of time in which we can cruise.  Depending on whether you cruise early, late, or even in the middle of the season could greatly change your experience.  One period is wetter, the other colder.  Different whales are more plentiful to see during some times than other, as are salmon and bear. You can also have rain every day of your cruise, while the next week the same sailing will have none. If you have always dreamed of seeing the Aurora Borealis, you will need to go during the late tail end of the season when it is colder, and some merchants and excursion vendors have begun to close down their shops (but usually less crowded).

>>>> The above factors are considerations for choosing the cruise itinerary you want to sail, then there are also the following to think about . . .

Packing

One of the most asked and discussed questions about Alaska on CC, on my FB page for this itinerary, and on this thread is what the heck should we pack.  You may be cruising in the middle of the summer, but the temperature and weather can differ greatly from where you live, and in Alaska itself, it may differ greatly from one week to the next.

In other parts of the world, you can usually figure out how to pack for the weather in that region.  In Alaska, it could be 40 degrees one week with a high in the upper 50s, while the next week it can hit 80.  As mentioned above, you may be drenched one week and wear sun screen the next.  Add to it the glacier viewing and the Arm sailings where you are on the cruise ship, yet may also be outside. Depending on the excursion you take, you could be out on the water or on top of a glacier or just merely exploring the port on foot – each of which may require a different type of dress.

In comparison, when on a Caribbean or Med cruise, you need to only chose which pair of shorts or t-shirt you should wear (although the Med cruise does have its peculiarity if visiting religious sites – you need to cover up).  On an Alaska cruise you need to be ready to suit up in almost anything from shorts to gloves and a scarf.

Also you may want to purchase and pack items for completely different temperate zones.  For instance, we brought both sunscreen and bug spray as well as toe and hand warmers. Besides the additional cost of purchasing such items, it took up precious room in our baggage.

Ports that Are Not Ports

Alaskan cruises are unique in that they have viewings from the cruise ship, such as a sailing down an Arm or taking a looksee at one of the magnificent glaciers. Besides itinerary selection and packing considerations, you will also need to figure out how to schedule your day’s activities around these stops.

Research

While there may be a great deal of research that goes into visiting historical cities, such as Rome or St. Petersburg, the focus is usually on the history of civilization.  In Alaska, there is rich history to be learned of its people and culture, but the research in Alaska is equally performed to include the state’s geography and its wildlife.

Excursions

There are always a few certain attractions (e.g., Coliseum in Rome, Hermitage in St. Pete, Eifel Tower in Paris, etc.) you may want to visit in a specific port or activities that you want to take part in. Many times they come with a minimal price tag.  In Alaska, many of the highlights are its activities, and many of them come at a HUGE cost – especially if you are travelling with a family (so its x4 or x5 instead of just paying for yourself or yourself and a significant other). 

There is no day at the beach, which may require a $10 or 15 shuttle.  A whale watching excursion could set you back $165-$180 per person, and if you want to land on a glacier, it could run you over $350 for a basic ride, and upwards of $500 if you want to add in a dog sled ride.  That would be $1400 for a family of four (and that is the low end). There is an “excursion” at the Hubbard Glacier that takes you on a catamaran from the ship up close to glacier itself; it sounds amazing, and probably worth it if you could afford it’s $500 per person price tag. [For an average cruising family, it gets expensive really fast.]

In St. Petersburg, we paid about $2000 for the four of us, which included two full days (10 hours each day) of exploring the city, plus entrance fees, and lunches compared to a single four-hour excursion (the catamaran at Hubbard was probably no longer than an hour). In comparison, the cost of the cruise to Canada a few years ago cost me a total of $1000 in total for the four of us (it was great deal).

There are also so many amazing things to do in Alaska that you can go to a port ten different times and have ten different awesome days.  Note there are also no or low-cost option at the ports, so do not let the above discourage you.  Whales can be seen from aboard the ship, and from what I have read, if you go to Icy Straight Port, depending on the time of year you can see whales from the port itself.

Although it was a great day, I will admit that one reason we chose to do Sitka as a DIY is to conserve our hard earned dollars, However, between the museums/attractions we visited and lunch, the day still cost me over $200.

If budgeting for an Alaskan cruise, make sure to keep the costs of their excursions in mind.

Vibe

This last item is very much indescribable.  The vibe or feeling of an Alaskan cruise is different. I can’t put my feeling on it or put it into words

• Like 1

Awaiting us at home. . . .

Don’t let that innocent face fool you.  At 70 pounds of muscle, he is a crazy boy that can cause untold destruction.  But he is a good and faithful dog.FA33AA75-70C2-4C68-874B-8D8FF2235D90.thumb.jpeg.88496de380423e58312842c6bf398fad.jpeg

Edited by Travel R
  • Like 3

There are some members that post on here that I respect and in turn respect their opinion.  There are those that as soon as I see their UID, I think to myself "oh no, now what."  For most, I am sure that they are trying their best to provide us help.  Except for the first group, all information should be taken with a grain of sand, and for the first group, maybe 2 or three grains.  Even the tome of information I have posted, it should only be taken as a drop to add amongst all the other information you have read, seen, and gathered.

There is however, a group of posters where a half a grain would be too much.  I am taking about those that post a "review" of their cruise on the general review boards, and do so for the sole purpose of griping.

When researching the Serenade a year ago, I saw many people's reviews where they bashed the ship or the cruise line and either it was because of a single incident at the beginning of their trip that they just could not get over, or it was because of an expectation that was not met when simple research would have provided the needed information beforehand and could have avoided their disappointment.  People - if you are cruising on RCI, NCL, Carnival, etc., you are sailing on a mainstream vessel catering to average people like us.  If you are looking for the Ritz where you will be treated like royalty and servants will cater to your every need, you are dreaming or delusional.

The worst is when people complain about things that they themselves caused.  For instance, I am currently researching a sailing on Lady-G for next year.  A recent review is about how the reviewer found a scorpion in their room (on their clothing).  Although the crew were slow to respond (how slow, they did not specifically indicate) and did move them to another cabin, 10 to 1 it was the reviewer (or someone in his family) that escorted the insect with themselves into their cabin. Yes, it can be scary (and I have a daughter that hates, hates, hates, insects, so I know), but it not only ruined their entire cruise (leaving the reviewer in tears), but they bashed (I think unfairly) every aspect of the cruise in their review.

[BTW: It was a black scorpion found in their room, which hurts like heck if stung/bitten, but is rarely lethal.]

A recent issue which is not just pinpointed to the Grandeur or Serenade is the food is something that I am seeing on both the general reviews and the boards as well.  My own expectations for the food were lowered coming in (although hoped for the best). Although I had mentioned the possibility of food issues to my family (pre-cruise), it was only in passing and did not want to bias them one way or another.  However, if you have been doing even a minimal amount of research on CC (and if they are bashing their cruises on CC, then you would have expected to know where to come and perform their research), they may have known what to expect.

Oh, and that woman bashing the ship's chefs for adding black pepper to most dishes, being in the food industry, most chefs add pepper as well as salt, garlic, and tons of butter (tons and tons) to most dishes. If you have such an allergy, then let Special Services know about it. They will tell you what you can and cannot eat, or even set up a special menu for you.  If you have an allergy and do not ask for the ingredients, or take an active stance, then it is your fault - don't blame the ship.

Hopefully I have provided a fair and balanced review so far, letting you know what I liked, disliked, hated, and absolutely loved.  Myself and my family are fortunately not the types that will let little the little stuff ruin our entire vacation (and it is all little stuff).  Most of the garbage people complain about are third world problems; we also need to be grateful for what we have - there are many that are not as fortunate. [I know, going down a serious path again.]

If I have calculated correctly, I have included enough banter to fill up these extra posts so I can return to posing about our day of fun and adventure in Ketchikan on the following page . . . .

Edited by Travel R
  • Like 1