Hotel charges (nee gratuities /tips)

Windsurfboy

2 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

In the UK under our consumer protection law it is the information in the brochure that prevails, this being the basis upon which the consumer entered into the agreement. The contract  ie t&cs should be contained in the brochure. 

The only way this would be overwritten , and that terms and conditions applied that are different to those in brochure , was if the consumer was given a copy of the contract to read and sign. On all financial transactions e.g opening bank account , done on internet now in UK  ,  they force consumer to download the contact/t&cs and you can't proceed unless you do this.

If you book with Cunard (directly ) it's either via phone based on info in brochure,  or on internet based on information easily found by you,  as you book. Cunard website doesn't ask you to read t&cs and doesn't check you have at least downloaded them. So if t&cs contradicts brochure /website , its the information that consumer is presented with on booking that prevails.

However I'm sure that forgetting to say hotel charges can be removed in the brochure is just a typical Cunard HO lack of attention to detail. If not it is breaking UK law as it should be added into price quoted.

The brochure only controls IF you relied upon what it says to make the decision to buy. I doubt anyone could make a reasonable case that the difference of whether hotel charges are optionable or not was their tipping point. (no pun intended)

On 8/2/2022 at 5:39 PM, Guppy99 said:

Basic contract law. Contract is the ONLY thing that ultimately matters.

A contract in UK law is simply whatever was agreed/promised - written or verbal. It doesn't have to be something entitled  Contract or Ts&Cs. The brouchure is the contract if relied upon to make the decision to purchase.

I agree with windsurf, extra charges have to be disclosed upfront. This is the reaon we, thankfully, do not have to put up with the sordid concept of 'resort fees' at land-based hotels.

I was told years ago that the hotel charged were not folded into the cruise fare as then it’s isn’t taxable and commissionable. 
This question is asked a lot and I thought that the response that was given to me is interesting.