Cruising on 8/1 - Travel insurance questions

Hey all. With Covid raging again, it seems impossible to avoid catching it. We're flying Seattle two days before our cruise, so we have to test when we get there. If we anyone tests positive, we're pretty much screwed. I was thinking we would test before we go, and if someone is positive, would travel insurance be a good option to avoid losing too much money? I know the cruise would be covered by rebooking/credit. But flights, pre-cruise hotel, etc are not fully refundable at this point. Woudl travel insurance companies still cover this for covid?

1 minute ago, squierjosh said:

Hey all. With Covid raging again, it seems impossible to avoid catching it. We're flying Seattle two days before our cruise, so we have to test when we get there. If we anyone tests positive, we're pretty much screwed. I was thinking we would test before we go, and if someone is positive, would travel insurance be a good option to avoid losing too much money? I know the cruise would be covered by rebooking/credit. But flights, pre-cruise hotel, etc are not fully refundable at this point. Woudl travel insurance companies still cover this for covid?

Yes. You would have to get a doctor’s confirmation of diagnosis to include as documentation.  You would qualify for 100% cash reimbursement of your cruise if you prefer that over FCC - no expiration dare.

Flights are a bit tricky to insure because the airline will issue a voucher for cancelled non-refundable flights. In that case, the insurance company will consider that you have been compensated. Ask how it is handled before you buy the policy.

Hotels are usually refundable but by a deadline which varies with  type of booking. It is a good idea to include the cost in the amount insured in case you miss the deadline.

Many here recommend Trip Insurance Store. They can answer your questions and help you find something since you don’t have much time to shop on your own.

• Like 1

Travel insurance will cover you for COVID, but if you have not yet bought it, you may find that you can't get the pre-existing condition waiver, and that could affect coverage.  This late in the game, I highly recommend talking to an agent personally and finding out what they can provide.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rudeney said:

Travel insurance will cover you for COVID, but if you have not yet bought it, you may find that you can't get the pre-existing condition waiver, and that could affect coverage.  This late in the game, I highly recommend talking to an agent personally and finding out what they can provide.

That's what I was planning on doing. Thanks!

• Like 1