Barcelona Shore Excursion question

mary_228

The last day of our Viking Trade Routes of the Middle Ages cruise docks in Barcelona at 1pm. There is time for only one tour. I have never been to Barcelona, yet believe I will return for future Med cruises. A tour to the Abbey at Montserrat is very appealing to me (spectacular setting), running from 2:15-8pm. I am sad that we will have our last dinner on board so late, as I imagine this would normally be a festive night. Also precludes the possibility of an evening in Barcelona. My spouse has been to Barcelona before.
Thoughts about this decision?

Any chance you can stay in Barcelona for a couple of nights after you disembark? It would be a shame not to see more and enjoy the city.

Montserrat is a beautiful place,  but you must really plan to come or stay longer.

If it was me I stayed in Barcelona itself for my first visit instead of leaving the city and waste the limited time on transportation. Barcelona is one of the rare major cities in Europe where the ships dock right in the city. 

How about eg. an overview tour, maybe with an open bus? Maybe combined with one mayor sight like the Sagrada Famiglia?

Or a walk through the Gothic Quarter?