Covid testing Southampton to New York confirmation

Hello,

I will be travelling from Southampton to New York and embarking on July 29.

Would you be kind enough to confirm what I think is the current status for covid testing pre-embarkation in Southampton en pre-desembarkation in NYC? (I have american citizenship if it matters).

- A negative rapid antigen test is mandatory within two days of embarkation in Southampton but no certificate is required anymore (over-the-counter self antigen tests are fine). Also, are the NHS self-testing rapid antigen tests fine for this?

- No pre-desembarkation covid test is required before desembarkation in New York (no covid certificate will be asked my US immigration in New York?)

Thank you all for your kind help!

Edited by EuropeanAmericanTraveler

4 hours ago, EuropeanAmericanTraveler said:

Hello,

Would you be kind enough to confirm what I think is the current status for covid testing pre-embarkation in Southampton en pre-desembarkation in NYC? (I have american citizenship if it matters).

- A negative rapid antigen test is mandatory within two days of embarkation in Southampton but no certificate is required anymore (over-the-counter self antigen tests are fine). Also, are the NHS self-testing rapid antigen tests fine for this?

- No pre-desembarkation covid test is required before desembarkation in New York (no covid certificate will be asked my US immigration in New York?)

I'm on same sailing and understand your assumptions are correct

On 7/23/2022 at 3:37 PM, EuropeanAmericanTraveler said:

Hello,

Has anyone asked Cunard what is “anytime in the two days prior to the day of embarkation”? Does this mean if we sail Friday then we can test Wednesday? I feel like they keep changing this on the site and being somewhat confusing!

4 hours ago, BigHilda said:

Does this mean if we sail Friday then we can test Wednesday?

That's exactly what it means. It's the day of the week, not the number of hours. You could be sailing at 11pm on Friday yet get tested at 8am on Wednesday.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, EuropeanAmericanTraveler said:

Thank you for your replies. I will cancel my appointment for a covid test at Southampton then.

I still have one NHS self-testing rapid antigen test at home, can I use it? do you think I will be asked what test/brand I have used?

From what I understood when I called Cunard, there won’t be details asked about the test used nor will we have to show the results. They will just ask in the questionnaire at embarkation if we tested and the result.

• Like 1

This isn't a happy development.

In my work, that involves some teaching, we have cases in the COVID era where a "closed notes" exam that would normally be done in a classroom (i.e. easily enforced) is done at home. Basically, you are asking the most honest people to have faith in the least honest. The most honest will do what they are told. The least honest? - less likely. How many less than honest people are we talking about? Choose a number. 10%? That's about 200 people getting on the boat either no test or not being honest about their test result. Cunard should be testing at the terminal - end of story.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Cdogg said:

This isn't a happy development.

In my work, that involves some teaching, we have cases in the COVID era where a "closed notes" exam that would normally be done in a classroom (i.e. easily enforced) is done at home. Basically, you are asking the most honest people to have faith in the least honest. The most honest will do what they are told. The least honest? - less likely. How many less than honest people are we talking about? Choose a number. 10%? That's about 200 people getting on the boat either no test or not being honest about their test result. Cunard should be testing at the terminal - end of story.

Absolutely agree on our last two Cunard   Cruises in February and April this year Cunard testing was done at the port and I found it to be fast and very efficient and felt some degree of safety our next cruise on QV  is on Saturday and I’m feeling quite nervous for the reasons you have stated we have our tests at the ready and are really hoping everyone will be as honest as us fingers crossed 🤞🏻But if they are  not there’s not a thing we can do about it.

• Like 2