Recommendations

Merrilymeggily

We are X devotees -- 3 times on Century, once on Zenith. To me, the Century is the perfect ship. But we're looking to cruise the Caribbean in the summer, and X isn't offering that itinerary on any of its ships June/July. Looks like we'll have to choose between RC and Carnival. We don't want to give up the quality of food and service, we don't want to be over-crowded, we don't want a 24-year-old party crowd. We'll be a total of five 40-somethings, with our gang of kids: two 21-year-olds, one 19-year-old, one 17-year-old, a 10-year old and a 5-year old. Does anyone have any thoughts on which other cruise line might suit us best?

It sounds to me that one of RC Voyager ships might be ideal for you, if your kids are real active. Ice skating, rock wall climbing, inline roller skating and a teen disco. If you liked Zenith better than Century, then Voyager class might work. It is a resort on water.

As for the food, it is probably a step bellow but for $20/person, you can go to one of the specialty restaurants, and have a great meal one of the nights. Service is good to great.

As for Carnival, if you are a big partier that likes having a continual stream of bear buckets brought to you in the whirlpool, then that's the way to go. Their food and service is good, but they are party boats, although not as bad as their 3 dayers.

First of all, summer Caribbean sailings WILL be crowded. There will be more kids than during the school year. Many quad capacity cabins will have 3 or 4 people in them.

You have a choice of Carnival, Princess, or RCL. None of RCL's Radiance class does the Caribbean in the summer.

If I were in your situation, I would look into the 9 night Grandeur of the Seas sailing from Baltimore. It's a short drive from Philly.

Just have different expectations, and you'll have a great time.

I know there will be many who disagree with me, but, we had just as good food and service on Carnival and Royal Caribbean as we did on the Century.

We love all the activities available on RCL. (ship/shape program)

We think Carnival has some of the best food and selection of all lines.

We love the energy and fun on both RCL and Carnival. (people still up after 10:00 and no empty dance floors)

IMHO your 5-21 yr old would have a great time on either line. You have to go knowing it will be "different" than Celebrity.

Radiance of the Seas is a beautiful ship for RCL and the Legend or the Pride are my favorites of Carnival's ships. :)

If Century is a good match for you, IMO the Voyager class ships are not going to be a good fit. Much bigger and busier.

Would look at the Radiance Class ships on RCI - they're the same size as the X M-class. Maybe look at a lesser-known line such as Oceana. Not sure what your price range is.

Someone said HAL, I don't think with the spread of ages you are referring to HAL would work at all; I am sure you want lots of activities to choose from as there will be a number of younger people in your group. Either RCI or Carnival would work. They really are very similar, no matter what some think. All mass marketed lines now are about the same. Each does have a nitch and attracts a certain type, but food, service, etc; they are much alike. Carnival will give you much larger cabins than any other, food will be just as good, but the ships boarder on being gaudy and the service isn't always up to par. Of course there are lots of activities and the kids programs are great. RCI will offer a little closer to upscale but as said there just is not that much difference. The cabins will be smaller and the kids program not quite as good as Carnival but the on board activities are wonderful. We as well as my clients have had mixed feelings on service. Someone said Oceana, well that might be an option, but first it is very pricey and second isn't as desirable for young people. As for crowds, partiers, etc it is summer. The ships will be packed with young people of all ages, from infants to the college crowd. The costlier the cruise the less likely you will be to find 20 somethings all over the ship. Hope this helps a little. NMnita

Archived