Viking River Cruise luggage tag holders

islandwoman

I am preparing for my first Viking River Cruise.  It will be a B2B with an ocean cruise on another line, so I need luggage tag holders that will protect my Viking luggage tags from ripping while traveling between ports.  I have two sizes of these holders, one of which fits Princess/Carnival luggage tags and the other fits Royal Caribbean/Azamara/Celebrity.  But I don't know whether either of these, or something else would fit the luggage tags issued by Viking River Cruises and I haven't been able to find anything online.  Can someone who has been on a Viking River Cruise please advise me what to buy?

I have been on 10 Viking River Cruises. I am not sure I understand what you're asking.

Viking issue two types of  baggage tags - red leather ones with leather straps  you can use these for you home/destination address. They are very sturdy, we use them on our cases for all our travel in the past 10 years, and have not lost one

The second one is specific to the cruise, they are a plasticized paper and identify  you, your boat and your cabin. They are used by the crew to m take the cases to correct cabins. These tags are sturdier than they look, they are very difficult - I found them impossible - to tear. I imagine these are the ones you are talking about. I don't think they need protecting, but if the worst happens and they go missing, no worries as the crew will use the boats manifest to look for your name and cabin to take the bags to your cabin. In the worst possible case (pun not intended) your bags will stay in reception waiting for you to claim them.

(PS B2B -  is that Budapest to Bucharest or Bordeaux to Bordeaux?)

• Thanks 1

My cruise is Budapest to Bucharest. It is scheduled after our Island Princess cruise out of Southampton.(Flying from Heathrow to Prague, then train to Budapest on our own)  I am looking for luggage tag holders that would fit the Viking paper tags. Something like these:

Sponsored Ad - Princess Cruise Ship Luggage Tag Holders by Cruise On - Fits All Princess Ships & Tags for Cruises in 2022...

1 hour ago, pontac said:

I am not sure I understand what you're asking.

(PS B2B -  is that Budapest to Bucharest or Bordeaux to Bordeaux?)

We were advised to wait until we reach our Viking destination airport  before putting on the “paper” tags.  If the river cruise is the second cruise and you need to put luggage out the night before you get off the ocean ship, put them on that last night.  They really are sturdier than they look though.  
(Pontiac:  B2B is shorthand for back-to-back)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Geosez said:

(Pontiac:  B2B is shorthand for back-to-back)

Well, I  am simple fellow. The OP (Original Poster) Is cruising Budapest to Bucharest which is B2B also Bordeaux to  Bordeaux is B2B and, as you say Back to Back is also B2B so it's worth spelling it out where there is a chance of confusion. (BTW - [By the Way] I am Pontac, not a car)

If they are travelling by train to Budapest then they will not be at the airport. If they are being met by Viking staff at the station then that's the time to put the Viking tags on the cases; if they are making their own way to the boat they don't need to fix the tag till then. But even if they fix them when they leave the ocean ship, they are - as you said - sturdier than they look.

Anyway - they don't need protection, so save your money @islandwoman

I agreed withe the above posts.  You do not need to put those tag on your luggage until you are going to pass them off to Viking - be that Prague, Budapest train station or at the ship.  These are only temporary tags to ensure the luggage is delivered to the correct cabin.  Not only does this help prevent the loss of them but it also keeps them from being confused with the info that is on the red Viking luggage tags.  It basically only for the Viking personnel although someone else could look at them and figure out they should go to the Viking River ship.

Personally, we prepare several tags to be used in our red permanent luggage tag holders.  The first is for the pre cruise hotel that we book on our own.  The second is for our ship (no cabin info, just the ship name and dock).  The third is for our first hotel after the cruise and for our August cruise there will also be one for a second hotel in another city.  Lastly, we have a tag with our home address for our return to our house.  We change the tags each time we are getting ready to move to the next location be it a hotel, ship or home.  Yes, it might seem like a lot of trouble but it is not.  Just have to make sure the tags are the right size.  The tag you are talking about, as I mentioned above, does not go on until we are turning the bag over to Viking.

Stan

6 minutes ago, travelingman said:

Personally, we prepare several tags to be used in our red permanent luggage tag holders.  The first is for the pre cruise hotel that we book on our own.  The second is for our ship (no cabin info, just the ship name and dock).  The third is for our first hotel after the cruise and for our August cruise there will also be one for a second hotel in another city.  Lastly, we have a tag with our home address for our return to our house.  We change the tags each time we are getting ready to move to the next location be it a hotel, ship or home.

So where do I get the "red permanent luggage tag holders" ?