Greenock - Transfers, Accomodation, Sightseeing

We have been to the port of Greenock before, but unfortunately I still lack the information I need now and I'm hoping for help.

We're booked on a cruise around the Scottish islands on a Hurtigruten ship - we're sure to have a great experience visiting all those small islands of the Hebrides.The tour starts and ends in Greenock.

1. We're planning to fly independently to Glasgow Airport. ( Hurtigruten charges outrageous prices of double the regular price...)

a) the most important information is how to arrange private transport to Greenock - taxi etc.? I'd prefer to arrange something in advance. Is there a reliable company somebody can recommend?

b) We're also thinking of staying a day or so in Greenock itself to avoid the rush to port on our day of sailing. Is there a decent hotel to recommend and can we spend a nice day or two in Greenock itself? (It's a weekend, so many sights, restaurants etc. might be closed.)

The alternative is to find transport from the airport to Glasgow city, stay a day or two or even three in a comfortable hotel and then find transport to Greenock to pick us up at the hotel. Again: Any recommendations for hotel and/ or transport? A hotel near to the HoHobus would be best in that case.

I can't walk longish distances any more, so I try to be prepared as best as possible.

Thank for all your answers.

No answers as yet - and I was so hopeful when posting! Are my questions too specific or is it because I forgot the second "m" in accommodation in the title?

We're still dithering whether to stay in Glasgow and or Greenock or fly directly but expensively to hop on to our ship with flight and transfer made safe by the cruise line. One is the safe way but for the amount we'd save if we'd organize the trip ourselves we could have more hassle but one day or two in Glasgow, too.

So anybody out there with ideas so it's easier for us to decide?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, we live about 50 mins from Greenock just south of Glasgow.

I would recommend staying in Glasgow, the Greenock area is very industrial and not much to do in the town itself. So much to see and do in Glasgow.and many hotels depending on your budget.

sorry I can’t help with a company for transfers but I’m sure if you Google you will find something

i would also recommend staying in Glasgow for the variety of hotels and locations there. Something to suit all budgets. We have stayed overnight in both the Holiday Inn and the Holiday Inn Express  at the airport a few times when we have had very early morning flights although you may prefer a more superior hotel. The latter is just outside the terminal building and you only need to cross a narrow road to reach it.  Several airlines board their cabin crew in it, but we actually prefer the HI Express although you need a 4 or 5 minute walk to reach it.

The airport bus from Glasgow airport covers a few streets in the centre before its terminus at Buichanan Street Bus Station.

There are trains and public buses running from Glassgow to Greenock, and a taxi from thr train ot bus station in Greenock would take you to the ship.

Alternatively, you could consider staying in one of the airport hotels, and when leaving, price a taxi to Greenock (as the airport is on the Greenock side of the city so quite a fast getaway) or take the airport bus to the terminus at Buchanan St where the Greenock  buses are, (or get off a stop or two  earlier at the  stop for Central station, but see below)

By far the easiest with luggage (should you decide against a taxi) would be the airport bus to its stance at  Buchanan St Bus Station,  then only a few steps walk from there to the Greenock stance. A very easy transfer.

The airport bus goes near to but not actually to, Central train station where the Greenock trains depart from.  A longer walk/further to carry luggage.

Should you decide to go directly to Greenock, I suggest you look at hotels in Gourock, close by and more upmarket (or it used to be)

Edited by edinburgher

@Edinburger: That was fantastic! Thank you for your help!

We have now decided on staying two nights in a nice Glasgow Hotel and either use the airport bus or train from Glasgow airport into the city - the bus seems to be the easier choice in regard to walking with luggage?

We haven't decided on a hotel, yet, we thought maybe the Radisson Blu, Double Tree by Hilton or the Maldron Hotel  might be a good choice - do you perhaps know which one of the three might be closest to the Airport Bus stations?

To get to the ship and back to the airport we'll probably take a taxi which is not the cheapest but the most comfortable way. And as Hurtigruten is not the cheapest cruiseline either, we'll just splurge this time!

Thank you all again for your help. It's always a splendid idea to ask in a CruiseCritic forum!

and either use the airport bus or train from Glasgow airport into the city -

Grayjay, sorry to disappoint but there is no train from the airport to Glasgow city centre, only the airport bus or a car or taxi.

I am not familiar with Glasgow city centre hotels as it is mostly the airport hotels we use when we are flying from there.

Had a quick look at hotels close to Buchanan Bus station(on KIllermont St) and closest I could see were a Holiday Inn Glasgow cIty Centre Theatreland  the CitizenM and the Maldron not far.  You might want to check reviews for all before deciding.I think closest might be Holiday Inn Theatreland.

Re your thoughts of taking a taxi to Greenock, I will point out that it is the same route as far as the airport, giving you the option of returning to the airport on the airport bus follwed by a taxi from there

Hope you enjoy your time in Glasgow.  There is lots to see there and some wonderful museums and art galleries and  I think you will be pleasantly surprised Not as convenient to reach, but the Burrell Collection has only recently reopened after a major refurb.  read about it online

Edited by edinburgher

Just wanted to say thank you again - it helped a lot to go through our options!

We decided on two days in Glasgow to see some of the sights; found a good hotel near HoHoBus, airport bus stop and train station.

So it's the airport bus to get from the airport to the city of Glasgow, the sightseeing bus with a 2-day ticket to get around and we decided on trying the train from Glasgow Central to Greenock in the hope of getting a taxi to take us from the station to the port. Then our Hurtigruten ship will be taking us around the Scottish Isles!!

Looking forward to April!

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

We decided on the VoCo Grand Central in Glasgow - rooms looked nice, affordable even with the "better" room categories, a special offer including breakfast and dinner and not far from the airport bus and Grand Central station - what I meant was that we decided to take the train to GREENOCK out of Glasgow and have a taxi then from the station to the port.

Will have to decide on the ride back to Glasgow airport but that will probably be a taxi awaiting us at the port - as Hurtigruten's prices are steep anyway it will be the least of the costs...

Yes, we're very much looking forward to Glasgow which is new for us to visit in Scotland!

The Grand Central Hotel is a lovely hotel actually attached to Glasgow Central Station. There is a popular champagne bar inside the hotel with big windows looking onto the main station concourse. You will have a 10 min downhill walk from Buchanan bus station to the hotel if you catch the airport bus. And well you literally could not get any closer to catch your train to Greenock! The hotel is right in the heart of Glasgow with lots of eating, drinking and shopping options nearby.

I would recommend taking a trip up to the West End ( the area surrounding Glasgow University). It is walkable - maybe an hour - but probably easiest is to take the subway ( yep that’s what the underground is called in Glasgow) from Buchanan Street to either Kelvinbridge or Hillhead. The university is a lovely building and the newly refurbished Kelvingrove Art Gallery is there too.

The National Trust has a property in the centre of Glasgow called The Tenement House, which shows what it was like to live in this typical type of crowded house which you will see everywhere in Glasgow.  If you visit there be sure to visit my favourite cafe in Glasgow called the “Singl-end” at the very end of Renfrew Street near the Glasgow School of Art. It has a great lunches/cake and coffee as well as some non - tacky Glasgow souvenirs.

If you have anymore questions, ask away. I know Glasgow pretty well. Enjoy your couple of days there - it’s a city with personality. 

Thank you all again for all these lovely answers. We're very much looking forward to April even if it's only a bit more than 2 days we'll have in Glasgow before visiting the beautiful islands in the Scottish seas.

The Art Galleries,the University building, the Cathedral,  the Botanic garden are luring as well as a scrumptious Afternoon tea. We'll use the HoHobus and taxis to get around as I can't walk long distances.

• 2 months later...
On 9/19/2022 at 2:55 AM, Scottishclover said:

The Grand Central Hotel is a lovely hotel actually attached to Glasgow Central Station. There is a popular champagne bar inside the hotel with big windows looking onto the main station concourse. You will have a 10 min downhill walk from Buchanan bus station to the hotel if you catch the airport bus. And well you literally could not get any closer to catch your train to Greenock! The hotel is right in the heart of Glasgow with lots of eating, drinking and shopping options nearby.

I would recommend taking a trip up to the West End ( the area surrounding Glasgow University). It is walkable - maybe an hour - but probably easiest is to take the subway ( yep that’s what the underground is called in Glasgow) from Buchanan Street to either Kelvinbridge or Hillhead. The university is a lovely building and the newly refurbished Kelvingrove Art Gallery is there too.

The National Trust has a property in the centre of Glasgow called The Tenement House, which shows what it was like to live in this typical type of crowded house which you will see everywhere in Glasgow.  If you visit there be sure to visit my favourite cafe in Glasgow called the “Singl-end” at the very end of Renfrew Street near the Glasgow School of Art. It has a great lunches/cake and coffee as well as some non - tacky Glasgow souvenirs.

If you have anymore questions, ask away. I know Glasgow pretty well. Enjoy your couple of days there - it’s a city with personality. 

Hi Scottishclover! We will be in Greenock via the Celebrity Apex in August, 2023 and are having a terrible time finding an appropriate tour.  We would love a driving tour of Glasgow with commentary, would like to eat in a classic local pub, and visit and local market.  If time allows, a visit to a distillery and/or brewery would be lovely as well.  Any recommendations you can give me would be wholeheartedly appreciated!

@Beachlover1989 Hi, yes I can imagine you might be finding getting a tour difficult. We aren’t really as well set up here for the cruise ship economy as the Med for example. I’m afraid I can’t recommend a specific tour but I will tell you what I think would make the best day out. 

While I love Glasgow, if it’s your first time in Scotland, it is not a must see. It’s a city with atmosphere but a bit rough round the edges. If you really are set on Glasgow, then there is a hoho bus. The famous Glasgow market is The Barras but I’m pretty sure it is not the type of market you have in mind. There are lots of local pubs ( wouldn’t want to eat in many of them😂) but for lunch I would go for modern Scottish somewhere in the West End near Byres Road and Glasgow Uni. Lots of choice and more preferable to typical pub grub. 

However from Greenock, I would be looking to do a day trip to Loch Lomond and the Trossachs, for some scenery, and then to Stirling Castle for some history. I was at Stirling Castle a couple of years ago and was impressed by the free guided tour.  I also like Loch Tay and surrounds but it may just be a bit too far. Others might have better ideas for tour providers. 

The majority of distilleries are a bit further north but there a couple near Glasgow - Glengoyne and Deanston at Doune which could be combined with my day trip suggestion above. 

I hope this helps and that you find a suitable tour. I’m noticing a wee gap in the market. If I lived a bit closer to Greenock I would be giving up my teaching job and starting my own tour business for cruisers!

50 minutes ago, Scottishclover said:

@Beachlover1989 Hi, yes I can imagine you might be finding getting a tour difficult. We aren’t really as well set up here for the cruise ship economy as the Med for example. I’m afraid I can’t recommend a specific tour but I will tell you what I think would make the best day out. 

While I love Glasgow, if it’s your first time in Scotland, it is not a must see. It’s a city with atmosphere but a bit rough round the edges. If you really are set on Glasgow, then there is a hoho bus. The famous Glasgow market is The Barras but I’m pretty sure it is not the type of market you have in mind. There are lots of local pubs ( wouldn’t want to eat in many of them😂) but for lunch I would go for modern Scottish somewhere in the West End near Byres Road and Glasgow Uni. Lots of choice and more preferable to typical pub grub. 

However from Greenock, I would be looking to do a day trip to Loch Lomond and the Trossachs, for some scenery, and then to Stirling Castle for some history. I was at Stirling Castle a couple of years ago and was impressed by the free guided tour.  I also like Loch Tay and surrounds but it may just be a bit too far. Others might have better ideas for tour providers. 

The majority of distilleries are a bit further north but there a couple near Glasgow - Glengoyne and Deanston at Doune which could be combined with my day trip suggestion above. 

I hope this helps and that you find a suitable tour. I’m noticing a wee gap in the market. If I lived a bit closer to Greenock I would be giving up my teaching job and starting my own tour business for cruisers!

Wow!  Thank you for all this info!  Yes, I definitely think there is a bit of a gap in this area of Scotland.  We are pretty familiar with Scotland, having booked a private driver for several days from Edinburgh about 6 years ago.  It was with Discreet Scotland - he was the best we have EVER had, anywhere in the world!!  Glasgow is the one area he doesn't really cover, so we just thought exploring Glasgow would be fun.  There are some companies, but they're either already booked, or are extremely expensive. 

Our ship is docked in Greenock from 11:00 to 20:00, so by the time we get to Glasgow, it might be 12:30.  Do you think that is enough time for the HOHO, since the information says it only goes until 16:30?  

Do you think it might be easy to get a taxi/Uber/Lyft in port to take us to Glasgow?

Thank you!!

17 hours ago, Beachlover1989 said:

Wow!  Thank you for all this info!  Yes, I definitely think there is a bit of a gap in this area of Scotland.  We are pretty familiar with Scotland, having booked a private driver for several days from Edinburgh about 6 years ago.  It was with Discreet Scotland - he was the best we have EVER had, anywhere in the world!!  Glasgow is the one area he doesn't really cover, so we just thought exploring Glasgow would be fun.  There are some companies, but they're either already booked, or are extremely expensive. 

Our ship is docked in Greenock from 11:00 to 20:00, so by the time we get to Glasgow, it might be 12:30.  Do you think that is enough time for the HOHO, since the information says it only goes until 16:30?  

Do you think it might be easy to get a taxi/Uber/Lyft in port to take us to Glasgow?

Thank you!!

Although it’s been a while since I’ve used it, Im certain you will have plenty time to do the hoho bus. I would do a whole route on it without getting off then go and spend some time in the west end. There are also a few companies doing walking tours these days. I can’t help you with taxi/ Uber Greenock to Glasgow. There is a regular train service to Glasgow Central though. I have used Uber within Glasgow it would be a viable option back to the ship but I find the Glasgow “patter” is much better from the original black cab taxi drivers.

On 12/16/2022 at 7:21 AM, Scottishclover said:

Although it’s been a while since I’ve used it, Im certain you will have plenty time to do the hoho bus. I would do a whole route on it without getting off then go and spend some time in the west end. There are also a few companies doing walking tours these days. I can’t help you with taxi/ Uber Greenock to Glasgow. There is a regular train service to Glasgow Central though. I have used Uber within Glasgow it would be a viable option back to the ship but I find the Glasgow “patter” is much better from the original black cab taxi drivers.

Thank you again for all of your helpful information!  But what is "patter"?

23 hours ago, Scottishclover said:

😂😂 It’s the Scottish word for friendly chat. Get into a black cab with a Glaswegian driver and you won’t know what has hit you! Either they will give you their life story or make you tell them yours. It’s a very local experience. 

Assuming I can understand anything they're saying 🙂

• 1 month later...

I'm piggybacking on this thread for a couple of questions if I may please. I'm planning to do our own to visit Edinburgh from Greenock cruise port. The ship's schedule there is 7 a.m. till 6 p.m. My plan is to catch a train in Greenock to Glasgow Central, walk to Queen Street to catch another train to Edinburgh. Do some sightseeing including hopefully Edinburgh Castle tour. Return to Glasgow, look around the city a little bit before returning to Greenock.

Is this comfortably doable in 8ish hours?

I'm thinking it all depends on how quickly we can get off the ship...

I'm opting out of the cruise provided tour to Edinburgh since I'd like to also see some Glasgow.

Any advice is appreciated.

You're going to spend about 4 hours on, or waiting on, public transport.

Whilst Edinburgh can be visited on the schedule you have (though you'll only scratch the surface), I think trying to fit in anything in Glasgow, other than taking in the streetscape between the stations, is a bit too much.

On 12/19/2022 at 11:26 AM, Beachlover1989 said:

Thank you again for all of your helpful information!  But what is "patter"?

On 12/15/2022 at 12:30 PM, Beachlover1989 said:

Hi Scottishclover! We will be in Greenock via the Celebrity Apex in August, 2023 and are having a terrible time finding an appropriate tour.  We would love a driving tour of Glasgow with commentary, would like to eat in a classic local pub, and visit and local market.  If time allows, a visit to a distillery and/or brewery would be lovely as well.  Any recommendations you can give me would be wholeheartedly appreciated!

Hi Beachlover,

I think we might be on the same cruise as you (Apex - Aug 9-21/23). We are looking for transportation from Greenock to Glasgow and a tour in Glasgow as well.  We've been to Loch Lomond on a previous cruise that docked here.

5 hours ago, Toady said:

Hi Beachlover,

I think we might be on the same cruise as you (Apex - Aug 9-21/23). We are looking for transportation from Greenock to Glasgow and a tour in Glasgow as well.  We've been to Loch Lomond on a previous cruise that docked here.

We are traveling with two friends and we have been unable to find what we're looking for that doesn't cost a small fortune.  And the times we're docked are pretty bad.  Right now we plan on a taxi or ship transport to Glasgow and then perhaps the Hop On Hop Off.

13 hours ago, fruitmachine said:

You're going to spend about 4 hours on, or waiting on, public transport.

Whilst Edinburgh can be visited on the schedule you have (though you'll only scratch the surface), I think trying to fit in anything in Glasgow, other than taking in the streetscape between the stations, is a bit too much.

Thank you for your advice. Certainly it would be nice to have more time to spend there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2022 at 5:30 PM, Beachlover1989 said:

I was out in Glasgow with friends at the weekend and they had booked a table at Mharsanta which is a Scottish Restaurant and bar in The Merchant City. Now it’s not a typical pub but it does offer what you might consider typical Scottish dishes - lots with seafood, haggis, steak pie, chicken balmoral etc. I had Shetland mussels and irn-bru cheesecake ( surprisingly nice!) A big selection of whisky or Scottish gin cocktails. The servers are in tartan and there was trad music playing in the background. I think it might give you the Scottish experience you are looking for. It’s a 5-10 min walk from George Square so really quite central.

• Thanks 1

We plan to take the ScotRail train from Greenock West to Glasgow central.  Trains leave every 30 min and the journey takes 32 - 45 min.  Cost is 6.40 GBP.  From Ocean Terminal walk straight out on Patrick St until it ends.  Turn left on Finnart St., right on Nelson St., left on Newton St., and left onto Inverkip to get to the train station.

If you want a full day tour - approx 8 hours from port in Greenock try the tour company   discoverscotlandtours.com.  Choice of 2 different tours and price is 87 pounds for either tour.  Cancellation policy is 90% refund if you cancel 15 days before the tour.  We are also on the Apex cruise on August 9th.  We are thinking of signing up for the Loch Lomond, Stirling Castle and Trossachs tour