Icel cruiseand and Faroes

What kinds of things do you like to do?  Hiking? Museums?  City tours (such as the cities are)?  More active things?

Have you read the existing threads here about those locations?  I know Iceland very well and those ports have been well discussed here.

• Like 1

Many thanks for your reply. Sorry, the post was written in haste. We normally do the usual main attractions but always very happy to consider the more unusual activities or places to visit. We try to arrange our own trips using local transport and local tour operators and would really appreciate any information from anyone who has visited recently regarding local transport, local tour operators any places or activities that are non main attractions  they would recommend. Thank you

I just got back from an Iceland cruise yesterday. If you're overnighting in Reykjavik and Akureyri, your possibilities expand a LOT. We did a private Diamond Circle tour in Akureyri with some other folks in our roll call through Saga Tours, which was well worth it-- we visited double the number of sights that the standard Lake Myvatn tours do, and even lucked out with some puffin sightings. We didn't have time to explore the city and the weather wasn't conducive to it either, but it is very walkable from the port.

With Reykjavik, you can definitely do a Golden Circle tour or South Coast tour one day and explore the city the next. There is a taxi stand, a city shuttle, and car rentals at the port (Skarfabakki is pretty far from the major tourist sights in the city). I wouldn't walk it-- much of the city is uphill from the harbor and it's an estimated 1-hour walk from the port to the church.  We got a cab for the return trip and it came out to $22 USD from Harpa Concert Hall back to the port. We also booked a Golden Circle tour with Iceland Everywhere, as well as some of our other Iceland ports, and I would recommend them for any cruise passengers.

Edited by thehowlingroad
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thehowlingroad said:

There is a taxi stand, a city shuttle, and car rentals at the port (Skarfabakki is pretty far from the major tourist sights in the city)

What car rentals were at the port?  Thanks. Do you know the cost of the city shuttle? Any info is appreciated.  Thanks

Just now, Level six said:

What car rentals were at the port?  Thanks. Do you know the cost of the city shuttle? Any info is appreciated.  Thanks

I know Europcar is there but I don't know what other companies have a Reykjavik base-- Google will help, since car rentals are popular in Iceland. Book early and make sure to get their extra insurance-- Icelandic car rental companies are notorious for charging for damages whether or not you caused them, because their roads are so hard on vehicles. I wouldn't rent one if you didn't plan on taking it out of the city either; parking didn't look convenient in the city.

I believe the shuttle was $20 USD/person for a round-trip and you can only get tickets from the port. I think it only drops off in front of Harpa, and you have to find your own way through the city otherwise. If you're more than one person, it's already more cost-effective to get a taxi, since it takes about $30 USD to get to the church or Rainbow St which is a tourist-friendly shopping district. We were 3 people, so a cab at $22 made more financial sense. I've heard some people say it's about $45 USD for a cab to the Blue Lagoon, or you can take their exclusive shuttle bus.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thehowlingroad said:

I know Europcar is there

I have been looking like crazy.  It doesn't show Europcar at the port, it shows it about a 30 minute walk away.  Yes, we will get insurance for sure, thanks.  We are going to try to do the golden circle and maybe see the volcano.  

2 minutes ago, Level six said:

I have been looking like crazy.  It doesn't show Europcar at the port, it shows it about a 30 minute walk away.  Yes, we will get insurance for sure, thanks.  We are going to try to do the golden circle and maybe see the volcano.  

Have you tried searching specifically for Skarfabakki port? It's the largest one and most of the major cruise lines dock there, and we did as well on the Enchanted Princess. They don't have offices on-site but from what I could tell, there were car company reps there that dropped off the car and keys for you. That might be what Europcar is doing too.

1 minute ago, thehowlingroad said:

Have you tried searching specifically for Skarfabakki port? It's the largest one and most of the major cruise lines dock there, and we did as well on the Enchanted Princess. They don't have offices on-site but from what I could tell, there were car company reps there that dropped off the car and keys for you. That might be what Europcar is doing too.

I have.  We will be on Island Princess next month.  Maybe I just need to call them and ask about drop off.   I can rent a car, but would have to walk to one site (30 minute) or take a bus to the one downtown.  We are traveling with friends, one who is in a wheelchair, so it makes it more complicated.  Thanks again. 

• Like 1

On 8/10/2022 at 1:55 PM, thehowlingroad said:

I believe the shuttle was $20 USD/person for a round-trip and you can only get tickets from the port. I think it only drops off in front of Harpa, and you have to find your own way through the city otherwise. If you're more than one person, it's already more cost-effective to get a taxi, since it takes about $30 USD to get to the church or Rainbow St which is a tourist-friendly shopping district. We were 3 people, so a cab at $22 made more financial sense. I've heard some people say it's about $45 USD for a cab to the Blue Lagoon, or you can take their exclusive shuttle bus.

It is much more for a cab from the city to the Blue Lagoon. Close to $100 or more.