Koningsdam aft verandah

sp2

We are looking at booking an aft verandah on Koningsdam for an Alaska cruise. Which deck is best in terms of largest verandah size, covered vs. Uncovered.  We have cruised on Zuiderdam and Westerdam and preferred the large aft verandahs on deck 5, but since this is a different class of ship, need help choosing.

thanks!

We sail in afts whenever possible.

1. Go for a corner Neptune suite if you can, with the wraparound balcony.

2. Not on Deck 4, which sticks out the most (most visible from above) and not on Deck 8 (which always seems to have folk (at the Lido bar just above) leaning over the balcony...

3.  In the center of the aft row of 6 cabins, look very closely at those two rooms on the deck plan. Their balconies being on the apex of the curve, have just a scosh more usable room. I'd go for one of those.  4. Deck 7 is great!

We were aft of K'dam, deck 7. The balcony was not as deep as the balconies on the Vistas. I love the corner afts on the Vistas, but I wouldn't do it again on the K'dam. That ship banged and slapped the water in "following seas" (waves approaching at the back). Terrible ride at the back of the ship. Forward and midships were fine. We had very rough weather on Zuiderdam one time, and there was motion at the back, but it wasn't the horrible bang and shudder we had on K'dam in weather that wasn't very rough at all.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

On 8/16/2022 at 4:47 PM, sofietucker said:

We sail in afts whenever possible.

1. Go for a corner Neptune suite if you can, with the wraparound balcony.

2. Not on Deck 4, which sticks out the most (most visible from above) and not on Deck 8 (which always seems to have folk (at the Lido bar just above) leaning over the balcony...

3.  In the center of the aft row of 6 cabins, look very closely at those two rooms on the deck plan. Their balconies being on the apex of the curve, have just a scosh more usable room. I'd go for one of those.  4. Deck 7 is great!

But Deck 7 doesn’t  have Aft verandahs on Koningsdam, they are Vista Suites. Only Deck 5, 6 and 8 have aft verandahs. Can’t afford a suite this time. We have stayed in an aft wrap 5191 on Westerdam and loved it but I know the balcony sizes on Koningsdam aren’t the same as on the Vista Class ships. Just trying to find out whether deck 5, 6 or 8 is our best option.

17 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

We were aft of K'dam, deck 7. The balcony was not as deep as the balconies on the Vistas. I love the corner afts on the Vistas, but I wouldn't do it again on the K'dam. That ship banged and slapped the water in "following seas" (waves approaching at the back). Terrible ride at the back of the ship. Forward and midships were fine. We had very rough weather on Zuiderdam one time, and there was motion at the back, but it wasn't the horrible bang and shudder we had on K'dam in weather that wasn't very rough at all.

Thanks, interesting to know that about motion.

On 8/17/2022 at 10:38 PM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Hmm, now that you mention it, our aft corner suite on the Nieuw Statendam a few winters ago was shuddery too; had put that down to weather. Rain, extremely windy, big waves... We had to miss 2 ports (HMC and Key West) and those extra "sea days" were nothing but wild carnival rides. I spent those--and the actual sea days--wearing my sea bands, eating green apples and saltines, etc. (and I very rarely get seasick, unless in a small boat on rough water for a long time). Now I wonder how much the actual stateroom might have contributed to that effect. Aft on the Kdam was fine but brilliant weather too...