guidance for pre-cruise Denali

killsport

I need a little advice from people who have (this summer) done the land-first Denali & cruise. My 80+ year old parents are going on this in early September (triple Denali & Noordam) and this is their first real cruise in 40+ years. Any advice you can provide is welcome, but my specific questions are:

1. They need to fill out their check-in info, but does the health questionnaire timing mean before the cruise or land portion?

2. Since they start in the US, but are taking a cruise that ends in Canada, they need to complete ArriveCAN. Is the timing for that based on the cruise portion, or land portion?

3. Since they booked air through HAL, what do they need to do at the airport when they arrive? Will someone have a sign that say HAL and take them to the hotel?

4. When the HAL pre-tour is over and it is time to get on the ship, what do they need to do (baggage, day-of-boarding health, etc), or is it all done for them?

5. Since Canada still requires a negative COVID test, is that done through the land portion? Is it extra cost? What are the mechanics?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!!!

20 minutes ago, killsport said:

I need a little advice from people who have (this summer) done the land-first Denali & cruise. My 80+ year old parents are going on this in early September (triple Denali & Noordam) and this is their first real cruise in 40+ years. Any advice you can provide is welcome, but my specific questions are:

I'll answer the questions I have some idea on.

3. Since they booked air through HAL, what do they need to do at the airport when they arrive? Will someone have a sign that say HAL and take them to the hotel?

Here is the info HAL has give me.

Upon arrival, please proceed to the baggage level of the airport where you will claim your luggage. There you will find a Guest Service Host who will be available to direct you to a motor coach and assist with your luggage. The Tour Desk can be found at Baggage Claim 1 in the South Terminal.

Guest Service Hosts and transfers are available from 8:00 am to 11:00 pm. For arrivals outside of these hours, please take a cab to your hotel and request a receipt from the driver for reimbursement.

Hotel check-in is available after 3:00 pm.

4. When the HAL pre-tour is over and it is time to get on the ship, what do they need to do (baggage, day-of-boarding health, etc), or is it all done for them?

HAL take care of the baggage. Make sure to print out the luggage tags and place them on their luggage. Some people suggest that this be done after you arrive. I plan to keep mine in my carry-on and put the tags on at the hotel. I will also have tags on anything that is checked baggage, but only for the flights.

5. Since Canada still requires a negative COVID test, is that done through the land portion? Is it extra cost? What are the mechanics?

It is my understanding that HAL will handle all of this and will provide transfers to the Airport for those who purchased their airline tickets through HAL.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!!!

I downloaded by boarding pass, which is not finalized, and the information was in it. If they booked through a TA, they will also be able to answer these question. 

My father, 77, and I, 54 are doing the Triple Denali on the Nieuw Amsterdam at the end of this month.

• Thanks 2

My tip would be to search for reports of how peoples trips went or live from style posts. 

That may also answer some questions that you don't know you have. 

Here is one that might be close. Start reading when they get to Fairbanks at post #88.  

Semi live review Y1L Holland America’s Alaska Land and Sea CruiseTour, June 1 – June 19, 2022 - Holland America Line - Cruise Critic Community

Edited by SightCRR
  • Thanks 1

On 6/12/2022 at 1:45 PM, Alphen said:

We are now on board the cruise train, turns out only 17 out of the original 33 in our group made it!!!

This is from his post #205 so make sure they know the c-19 precautions if that is of concern. As of now for sure have to covid test before getting on cruise not sure about land part. 

sightcrr. 

• Thanks 1